Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ultimate in ladies perfume

• 02-12-2015 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

OK so im going to be looking for a bottle of perfume for a xmas gift for the OH, now i havent a clue or one bit of interest in going in smelling them and all that jazz so was wondering if the great people in after hours could point me in the right direction as to which ones are the bizz

i must say im under a bit of pressure with this as she is looking something really nice and i know some smells people like more than others but is there a few out there that ya just cant get it wrong with?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

As long as it's not DKNY Woman you'll be ok. That stuff makes me gag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I love Paco Rabanne Lady Million. Seems to be popular too.

If you want pure sexy, go for Noble Leather by YSL :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The missus currently has a penchant for Angel by Mugler and Aromatics by Clinique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Usually I despise perfumes but Harajuku Lovers is the nicest perfume I've ever come across.

Maybe it's all natural or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

My OH likes White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I would say if you want one that's almost guaranteed not to disagree with anyone, go for Chanel No 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Shenshen wrote: »
    I would say if you want one that's almost guaranteed not to disagree with anyone, go for Chanel No 5.

Yeah it's hard to go wrong with that. If she's really into perfume then she might find it a bit unimaginative but it's pretty much a sure bet.

There actually isn't a perfume that suits everyone unfortunately.

My sister used to wear coco mademoiselle and I was never mad about it, then a friend had gorgeous perfume on and turned out it was the same one. I've been wearing it ever since. Smelled entirely different on my friend.

So many perfumes I just can't stand on myself - most in fact.

And there's loooooads of women who can't stand perfume too!

Shenshen wrote: »

I can't stand it on me :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sometimes I'd love to understand what all this means. All perfume smells like pure alcohol to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

canhefixit wrote: »
    OK so im going to be looking for a bottle of perfume for a xmas gift for the OH, now i havent a clue or one bit of interest in going in smelling them and all that jazz so was wondering if the great people in after hours could point me in the right direction as to which ones are the bizz

i must say im under a bit of pressure with this as she is looking something really nice and i know some smells people like more than others but is there a few out there that ya just cant get it wrong with?

Cheers
    Parfumes are way to individual to give you a good choice but as a rule of thumb if you can buy it in a normal store don't...

But you did ask for something very special; so I'll pull one out that I'm quite certain she has never tried that is a classic and makes Chanel nr 5 seem boring by comparison while not coming of as walking into a Lush shop (I find nr 5 way to heavy and sweet myself). What I'm recommending is Divine by Divine in Paris (their first perfume); now this stuff you are not going to find in an Irish shop (or I've never found a shop that does at least) so you're best of ordering it from them directly. 109 EUR and a tenner or so in shipping for a 100ml bottle and take about a week to arrive. Lovely scent from it; very exclusive by comparison to anything you'll find in the shop and you can order a sample set (25 EUR) to see if she prefers something else for next time (or order the sample set and add a gift card that you'll buy which ever one she prefers) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Bright Crystal by Versace. It's so fresh and light, perfect for everyday. Armani Code is really sexy too. I love perfume but I can hardly ever wear it, makes me sneeze :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

There is such a range out there and as whoopsadaisydoodles said they don't all suit each person. Do you know what perfumes she has already? Will give a good idea of what she likes.

My favorites are elie saab, chloe, my burberry perfume, chanel mademoiselle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

Moved from AH. Please ensure you read the charter before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Your best bet is to take a sneaky peek at what perfume she already has at home. That way you can get an idea of the kinds of scents she likes. Go into BTs or Arnotts and one of the assistants could help you pick out a nice perfume based on what she already likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

Perfume is very subjective, not everyone likes the same scent! You will have to ask her a few things first: What perfume does she wear already, does she like it? Would she like something similar or totally different?

Then go to the shop and ask the sales person to show you a couple of different perfumes: light, strong, flowery, musky, spicy, sharp, sweet, whatever. Honestly, there are so many out there you could be hours choosing on your own! Get help to narrow it down.

Or you could also get a gift set of one she has already, with perfume and body lotion/shower gel. Loads of them on sale for Xmas.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

You could go for the old reliable.....Chanel no.5. Most women love it. I personally love Viktor&Rolf flowerbomb. Tho i have been eyeing up the new Marc Jacobs for bottle design alone. Sooo many choices, I don't envy you. Take factors such as her age, day or night time use and her personal style into ac when choosing.Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

might be good to know what age group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I love Jo Malone, they're pricey but worth it! Might not be an easy one to pick which actual fragrance though

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

I have asked a couple of ladies what they would recommend today and millions paco ranbane was mentioned a couple of times can anyone vouch for it?
    guess im goina have to go and smell some and see what i think as id be buyinh blind as it is but i will take the suggestions on boards folks cheers and anymore fire away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

l'Occitane have some lovely fragrances too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Anyone recommend an online site for perfume?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

ok so actually went and smelt a lot of them today and i mean alot!!!

have to say the millions one was by far the nicest for me so im set on that for now

its bloody pricey stuff so if anyone know of any good perfume deals on please let me know, girl in boots told me i literally just missed the sale on it something like 25% off it sake!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Issey Miyake,most of my friends love Jo Malone.
    Lacoste Pink is really nice.
    My mother wants Eternity,the original one though rather then the other ones.
    Perfume is very individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh tough one, do you know any perfumes she wears already? I must say I am well impressed with Flower Bomb it is just fab.. It is quite pricey but well worth it as the smell last forever so you don't use that much of it...

Armani Code is yummie also.

Might be something nice to get also is one of those travel O perfume bottles for her handbag.. They are great you can pop them in your hand bag on nights out and you don't have to worry about loosing a bit bottle of perfume.. Get the one with the pump top on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Just curious if anyone else here has tried Kim Kardashian perfume Kim k. My friend brought me home a bottle of it from NYC last year and I was kind ilog reluctant so left it in its box until she asked me how I got on with it the other day. I have to say I love it ! Never thought I'd say that about anything she endorses but i really do like it !

While I'm on a bit of a rant here too another bottle I was very pleasently surprised with was Stella mc Cartney Lilly. Every time I wear it people compliment it and ask what it is. Costly too I think maby 80€ a bottle ? I have a load of perfume to use ... mother in law works with cosmetics so guess what I get to try out through the year lol ;)

I would be the same as you, id stay wella away from any Kylie or Kim people branded perfumes after smelling a few that are sickly sweet.. In saying that I like the Britney ones and they are very well priced..

I know tis a killer paying so much for some of them but I find they are the better quality ones and the scents last all day rather than a few hours.

Some perfumes also suit you more than others.. Jean Paul Gaultier one that is very weird, some people its smells all wrong on and others it is completely differant

Milly33 wrote: »
    I would be the same as you, id stay wella away from any Kylie or Kim people branded perfumes after smelling a few that are sickly sweet.

so true. I find the celebrity endorsed perfumes unbelievably sweet and not in a pleasent way. If your even in the perfume shop give the two I mention a quick sniff you might be pleasently surprised ! Very rich smell from them :) seriously you Could have knocked me over with a feather when I smelt it !

My sis swears by britneys perfume obsession that's all she will wear! But your right it has a lot to do with your own natural scent and sometimes what works for one just won't work for another!

• Advertisement

I just see Debanams have 10% off perfumes in case you still need to shop...

Advertisement