Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will a laptop power adapter of 4.7amp output ruin my laptop?

Options
  • 02-12-2015 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

I have a sony vaio laptop, the power adapter has an output of 3.9 amps, this failed on me so I ordered a new one, and the supplier sent one with an output of 4.7 amps,

will this additional power output do damage to the laptop?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

CamperMan wrote: »
    I have a sony vaio laptop, the power adapter has an output of 3.9 amps, this failed on me so I ordered a new one, and the supplier sent one with an output of 4.7 amps,

will this additional power output do damage to the laptop?

Thanks

It really shouldn't the amperage of the charger is the maximum it can safely deliver, the device shouldn't draw more than it needs to charge once all of its safety circuitry is functioning correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's the voltage that you need to watch for, that's more important. Did you give the supplier the laptop model number or the part number from the old adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

Once u have right voltage you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If its 19volts dont go over 19v,
    see the label on the laptop,
    power , amp, voltage.
    20 or higher voltage will damage the laptop.
    i use an 18.5 v charger,
    my laptop lable says 19v.
    it works anyway.
    You can buy multi volt powersupplys in shops 25 euro.
    with different size power socket connectors , to suit various power in sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Buying a spurious supply for an expensive laptop is not something I'd be prepared to do.

But as above OP - as long as the amps are the same as or greater than the original it's not a problem, but voltage must be identical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-120w-multi-voltage-universal-laptop-power-supply-l23ay you can get ones for 25 euro in pc shops in moore st dublin.

Advertisement