Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mild winter and leaves still on some trees and shrubs.

Options
  • 02-12-2015 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Given the very mild winter we've had so far -- I was wondering if it still did not get cold enough would some shrubs and trees not eventually lose all their leaves?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭Worztron

I will put it another way. If a tree or shrub still has some leaves in lets say January. Would it stop losing those few leaves and continue to gain leaves (whilst keeping the old ones) coming into Spring?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Unbelievable to see this, I noticed a small ash tree with its leaves on 2 weeks ago, but most are falling off now.

If the weather was to remain good enough then the leaves may stay on as long as the plant continues to function, although the function of the plant has recently been shown to be tied to both light and temperature.

If the leaves did persist until spring I think thay would drop off when the new growth starts to emerge. This can be kindof seen on beech hedges where the old leaves can persist until spring (although not a functioning leaf, just the base of the stalk is still "alive/functioning"), but heavy rain and winds seem to be knocking them off this year.

Privit is suppost to be a semi-evergreen plant, but over the last few years has been clearly deciduous in my garden, but still has loads of leaves this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

A lot of my plants in the garden have got a new lease on life an started blooming. Leaves still on the tree and to top it, a daffodil is about to bloom.

... a daffodil is about to bloom.

:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

our rhubarb sprouted again in the last week or so.

• Advertisement

The seasons are seriously messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

A few buds bursting here too, despite the rain :D. really need a cold snap at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

....jet stream is over us all year almost = poor summers, wet and wild winters...leaves sill on trees etc...We need a sharp frost and cold period to sort things out... 8 weeks and its officially the start of spring again!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

here's my lonesome narcissus , I keep on singing 'the last rose of Summer' to her

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

wow!!...early!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

here's my lonesome narcissus , I keep on singing 'the last rose of Summer' to her

Thats unbelievable!
    The seasons are definitely changing.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

Got a few plants still going that I would have expected to have been killed back by frost by now. There is a new crab apple I just noticed recently has lots of green leaves still.

Does anyone know if Zinnias can survive the winter here? It's my first year growing them and mine are still flowering although they are looking a bit more windblown.

Advertisement