Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

proposed new Dart timetable - slower trains, later arrival times in Dublin

Options
  • 02-12-2015 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭

Irish Rail has put it's proposed 2016 timetable online for consultation here.

Everyone who commutes from Greystones by train will find their commute getting longer by at least 10 minutes per day; but if you don't have any flexibility in your work/study hours you may have to switch to an earlier train in the morning, and/or a later train in the evening, lengthening your day by up to an hour.

If you currently use the Dart/Commuter service from Greystones (or Kilcoole, Wicklow) I urge you to have a look at it to see how it will affect your commute, and leave feedback for Irish Rail by December 8th here:

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/public-consultation-for-2016-dart-and-connolly-intercity-and-commuter-services

Whilst Irish Rail are plugging this timetable as being an improvement due to increased frequency of Darts between Bray and Howth Junction, there is no increase in frequency for Greystones and all trains will take longer to get into town. In addition the departure time of every Dart from Greystones is being moved back by 4 minutes (so instead of leaving on the hour and half hour, they will leave at 4 minutes past and 34 minutes past).

Examples:
    The 0800 Dart currently arrives in Pearse (assuming it's on time) at 0849
    in the new timetable this train leaves at 0804 and arrives in Pearse at 0857

The diesel commuter train (destination Dundalk) that leaves just before this Dart and currently arrives in Pearse at 0839, will arrive at 0851 in the new timetable - this one will also affect anyone coming from Kilcoole, Wicklow, Arklow etc.

Coming back to Greystones in the evening, the Dart that leaves Pearse at 1730 currently gets into Greystones at 1820, in the new timetable it doesn't get to Greystones until 1826.

The following train, an Intercity to Wexford, will leave Connolly, Tara and Pearse 4 minutes earlier than it currently does, but arrive in Greystones 5 minutes later than is does now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Thanks. I have already sent feedback.

Sacrificing people outside the greater Dublin area to service areas that already have a great transport system.

This will drive people to their cars.

If this goes ahead, I will most likely give up my annual ticket.

10 minute DARTs next October/November is going to be total carnage based on this year.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭StanleyOllie

Ive just had a look at the Dublin to Drogheda timetable. The proposed timetable is way worse than the existing one. Less trains.... slowe and later. There is only one after the 5.00 mark which will now be even more cramped. Terrible proposed changes. Very short sighted.

Ive just had a look at the Dublin to Drogheda timetable. The proposed timetable is way worse than the existing one. Less trains.... slowe and later. There is only one after the 5.00 mark which will now be even more cramped. Terrible proposed changes. Very short sighted.

Make sure you submit feedback. There's still time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Well thats a big two fingers to all commuters south of Bray, feedback sent! Jesus, give us back the old commuter!!!

Well thats a big two fingers to all commuters south of Bray, feedback sent! Jesus, give us back the old commuter!!!

It's also commuters coming in from the north.
    It seems to be a PR stunt for greater Dublin area with 10 minute DARTs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

LEIN wrote: »
    It's also commuters coming in from the north.
    It seems to be a PR stunt for greater Dublin area with 10 minute DARTs.

Which isn't needed. The DARTs that originate from Bray have far less capacity issues than the ones that originate from Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Not in the Late night Xmas schedule either :( What have we done to annoy Irish Rail so much???

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Naclochaliatha

Thanks for drawing attention to this. Greystones is really going to be one of the biggest victims or this misguided and unfair PR stunt! We need to make our voices heard and mobilise a massive negative feedback to the ongoing online consultation as I think most people are blissfully unaware of what's coming down the tracks if you'll pardon the pun :). 20+ minutes a day on an already long enough commute is not acceptable.

So I would echo the call from loyatemu above to reply en masse to the online consultation!

There's an election on the horizon also. ;)

Time is running out. Only 4 and a half days of the feedback window remains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

LEIN wrote: »

You'd swear these boards were being watched ;-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Naclochaliatha

Thanks for posting link to the petition Lein, see it's already garnered nearly 1000 signatures:) let's hope this last minute wake up call has some effect! Been on to the other TDs too, need all hands on deck to red light these proposals

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the petition goes on about longer trains and greater frequency at the weekends; neither of which are the pressing issue here. The morning peak trains are already 8 cars long which is the maximum length for the Dart; more trains at the weekend would be nice but the vast majority of Dart users are weekday commuters and they're going to be mostly affected by the later arrival times in town for every morning train. Irish Rail could double the number of trains on a Sunday, it's not much compensation if you still have to get up half an hour earlier every weekday.

By all means sign the petition, but make sure to send your feedback to Irish Rail via their form as well.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the petition goes on about longer trains and greater frequency at the weekends; neither of which are the pressing issue here. The morning peak trains are already 8 cars long which is the maximum length for the Dart; more trains at the weekend would be nice but the vast majority of Dart users are weekday commuters and they're going to be mostly affected by the later arrival times in town for every morning train. Irish Rail could double the number of trains on a Sunday, it's not much compensation if you still have to get up half an hour earlier every weekday.

By all means sign the petition, but make sure to send your feedback to Irish Rail via their form as well.

I would assume that all most of us in Greystones want is that the Mon-Fri services between 7am and 8.30am (ex-Greystones) and 4.30pm and 6pm (ex Connolly) remain as is. Not too much to ask for, given that we all understand that there can't be an increase in Greystones services due to the single track.

eigrod wrote: »
    I would assume that all most of us in Greystones want is that the Mon-Fri services between 7am and 8.30am (ex-Greystones) and 4.30pm and 6pm (ex Connolly) remain as is. Not too much to ask for, given that we all understand that there can't be an increase in Greystones services due to the single track.

exactly - the other stuff in the petition is just a distraction. On weekdays at least the service to Greystones is currently the most frequent it has ever been and there's not much scope to increase it without huge expenditure.

My worry is Irish Rail will add a few extra services on the weekend and say "right we listened to your petition" while still screwing over weekday commuters.

I agree. I think the petition is a bit odd. It misses the point, goes off on tangents and doesnt strongly encourage use of Irish Rails feedback channel.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Just noticed that Irish Rail have updated the Christmas Schedule and late night darts over the next 2 weekends now will service Greystones!

http://www.irishrail.ie/latenightChristmasDARTS2015

Nice one.

Time to petition Jokers to stay open late now too then. Can't be coming off the DART at 2am and have no chips & curry sauce before bed !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I think signalling needs to be upgraded south of bray to greystones to realistically facilitate more frequent darts.

• Advertisement

I think signalling needs to be upgraded south of bray to greystones to realistically facilitate more frequent darts.

Two trains can already go around Bray Head one after the other in the same direction (it happens in the morning with the 0752 Commuter and 0800 Dart and at other times of the day too). Obviously the single track means you can't have trains going in opposite directions at the same time.

So you could conceivably add extra services in the morning peak but the train would have to already be in Greystones, either stored overnight or sent out earlier in the morning. I think this would be awkward for Irish Rail to roster though as they don't have drivers based in Greystones, generally a Dart arrives, the driver changes ends and it goes straight back to Bray.

To be honest I don't care much about extra trains, I'd just like them to leave the existing timetable in place. Fortunately it appears that they're getting complaints from everywhere on the Commuter network and their own drivers are refusing to commit to the extra services on the Dart line so I looks like they'll have to revisit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

My main gripe is that the first DART of the morning always runs from Bray only at 5:40am. I don't see why that can't be a 5:30 service from Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

I think train services for Greystones are simply doomed until we can find some way to implement a second line.

And because of that, I think we should concentrate on investing in bus services, with a return to high frequency 84's running to town

Ingrid Miley ‏@ingridmileyRTE · 18m18 minutes ago
    Threat of #DART industrial action recedes for time being as @IrishRail defers introduction of 10 min frequency from 31 Jan to 10 April

Stay of execution for now. Interested to know if it was the threat of industrial action or the feedback on the timetables that lead to this deferral. I would assume the former.

Mahogany wrote: »

And because of that, I think we should concentrate on investing in bus services, with a return to high frequency 84's running to town

Honestly though I cant see the 84 route going back to the city centre.

Terry Pratchet

I seriously hope they listen to the negative feedback.l and adjust the timetable.

Advertisement