Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build desktop or laptop?

Options
  • 02-12-2015 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I'm a college engineering student and I'm in between buying a laptop or building my own PC. Here's my thoughts so far and what I'm looking for in my computer.

A laptop is convenient but there is less performance per dollar. Not sure if I need a laptop as there are computers in college that can do the job when I'm there and I have a smart phone for minor things on the go.

As regards to what I'm looking for performance wise on my computer;

Powerful CPU (a recent generation i7)
    Wanted/needed to a degree for convenience when using engineering software as there's less waiting involved.

1Tb hdd preferably 7200rpm
    For general storage

120-256Gb ssd
    OS and most frequently used applications/games

15.6" if laptop, at least full hd(1080p), nice looking so ips I presume.

16gb of Ram

Solid structure if laptop, metal I guess. Not much needed from a trackpad as will use external mouse, but decent keyboard is a must.

Lastly the graphics, I don't think I need a boundary pushing graphics card as most if not all games I play are not very demanding(Dota 2 & CSGO) however if I had a better graphics card I might start running some more demanding titles! Quite lost in this category so please leave your opinions.

Do you think I should go with a desktop or laptop ? And could you possibly leave a suggestion if you can think of something that fits the bill? Looking to spend between €1000-€1350 could push to €1500 if needed

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the issue!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Currently studying engineering myself, and I use my desktop for it.

Given the power differences I don't think a laptop would have suited me, but some others wouldn't dream of a desktop.

Really depends on your own preferences, you're easily gonna fit the desktop budget, and a laptop shouldn't be hard with that money either.

Advertisement