Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A solution to the housing crisis

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

You should see the comments on that Facebook post, the mother Lorraine Murray doesn't exactly paint herself in the best light.

Still, they'll get the usual people out supporting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

You should see the comments on that Facebook post, the mother Lorraine Murray doesn't exactly paint herself in the best light.

Still, they'll get the usual people out supporting them.

Turns out she is in appears. Stopped paying the rent allowance she was getting and kept it for herself.

Landlord out of pocket of thousands.

These are the people clogging up the system and giving genuine cases a bad rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Turns out she is in appears. Stopped paying the rent allowance she was getting and kept it for herself.

Landlord out of pocket of thousands.

These are the people clogging up the system and giving genuine cases a bad rep.

Indeed, no regard for her children then despite her poor mouth moaning. Must have had a good time living rent free and having the rent allowance to add to her pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

the_syco wrote: »

They are being housed in temporary accomodation. Homeless means without a permanent home.

No. they'll house them.

If you opened a trailer park here, Travellers will arrive into it. I also doubt many of the homeless would want to live in a trailer park long term.

The important part I highlighted. If it wasn't a quick-fix to look good in the media, I'd say they could have gotten a small housing estate built for the cost. However, they won't do this, as they'd be seen as building a ghetto.

The last carpark was a "temporary" place for them. Yup, somehow eight years is somehow considered "temporary".

Oh, and 13 traveller houses cost €5,000,000

Whereas 22 houses for non-travellers people cost €3,080,000

I don't doubt it, but there were homelessness when they existed. Them being sh|tholes didn't matter.

But it's fair that I'd have to pay €300,000 for a house, but someone else could live in theirs for a fraction of the cost?

=-=

How this for a solution;

Don't house anyone without a job anywhere where the house costs more than 60% of the average price of houses in Dublin, and/or their nearest city (Dublin/Cork/Galway/Belfast).

They have a job, and claim social, sure, they can stay in their house near the cities, but if they don't have a job, don't intend to have a job, spread them across the countryside into social housing, and put them into programs that the unemployed were put into during the 80's which built walls, etc.

Temporary or homeless accomodation, well, with our govt, thats just semantics.
    As for the traveller situation, I do believe a dialogue has started and unfortunately the tragic fire in Carrickmines has been the catalyst in that situation.
    Irelands social and religious history has not been a happy one, even on this thread there's the cry of 'It's all unmarried mothers!' .
    However, I take your last point especially on board. And agree with it in principle -everyone needs to put in , unemployed people need a structure- without it they stay unemployed longer. But in reality? Not all people would be suitable, or wiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

op, start public banking system in ireland. start building houses pronto with the funding from this system. job done. chances of that happening, zero! moving on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

vagazzled wrote: »
    Irelands social and religious history has not been a happy one, even on this thread there's the cry of 'It's all unmarried mothers!'

Great point, the animus that exists in Ireland towards unmarried mothers is unsettling.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Great point, the animus that exists in Ireland towards unmarried mothers is unsettling.

Why is that?

Why is that?

wat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Many travelers choose to move into standard housing ,like anyone else .
    I think its part of the legal duty of councils to provide traveler housing sites .
    x per cent of tenants rip off the landlord .
    The landlord can go to the welfare officer and ask for ra payments to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

riclad wrote: »
    I think its part of the legal duty of councils to provide traveler housing sites .
    Travellers don't always move into the housing sites if they have a feud with another family already there, and should the traveller die in the house, they'll often torch the house.

Travellers who become non-travellers, and move into a normal house I have no objections to, as I acknowledge how hard this can be for them.
    Why is that?
    Two reasons. One, because a certain demography tend to do it as a lifestyle, and blackens it for everyone else (ie; the working mothers). And two because the church didn't like it, and used to throw them into the laundries. This hatred continued though to the lay people that are still alive now.

• Advertisement

wat?

Why do you think that opinion exists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Will.i.am.not

Only one cure for the crisis is no more imigration ..
    There are 100 houses in my estate and it has 65% of the residents are eastern Europeans .and Muslims . so what chance have young Irish people moving out of there homes getting a house to start a life .
    I am slowing seeing our country been Eroded .away , it’s sicking .
    Young Irish people are been left behind .
    Ahh sure it’s ok some people say sure they can still live with there mammys ..

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Look at this one.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1071392489567181&id=191236384249467

8 kids. 2 unemployed parents.

10 years on the housing list.

Come on like seriously. You have no job yet you have 8 kids and expect a house and the tax payer to pay for you.

To be honest I'm bloody sick of these leeches. No wonder our social welfare is 30 billion a year.

Money been wasted could go to building a better country for my children.

She got her house in the end..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    op, start public banking system in ireland. start building houses pronto with the funding from this system. job done. chances of that happening, zero! moving on!

public bank , which gets its money from .........?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

There are 100 houses in my estate and it has 65% of the residents are eastern Europeans .and Muslims . so what chance have young Irish people moving out of there homes getting a house to start a life .

You should join the Ukips, mate.

perhaps we should herd them into cattle trucks, oh wait that was tried ....

TresGats wrote: »
    You should join the Ukips, mate.

They have no balls ..

BoatMad wrote: »
    perhaps we should herd them into cattle trucks, oh wait that was tried ....

That was done on the way Over here ..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BoatMad wrote:
    public bank , which gets its money from .........?

The money is created in the same way that all banks create money, I.e. in the form of loans. I'd also agree with Steve keen in that, this balancing the budget is pure nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Only one cure for the crisis is no more imigration .. There are 100 houses in my estate and it has 65% of the residents are eastern Europeans .and Muslims . so what chance have young Irish people moving out of there homes getting a house to start a life . I am slowing seeing our country been Eroded .away , it’s sicking . Young Irish people are been left behind . Ahh sure it’s ok some people say sure they can still live with there mammys ..
    Or just take the native scroungers who suggest such stupid things and box them off on a boat to the new world, or a mine down in Australia.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The money is created in the same way that all banks create money, I.e. in the form of loans. I'd also agree with Steve keen in that, this balancing the budget is pure nonsense

banks create money out of nothing actually, backed by assets

any public bank , would have its debt added to the Government debt , under EU fiscal rules. that simply would completely restrain its operation

its not a solution

anyway the problem isnt money the exchequer has made it clear to the LAs, that the issue will not be lack of money and in fact the social housing provisions have been repeatedly not drawn down in full by LAs over many years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

riclad wrote: »
    x per cent of tenants rip off the landlord .
    The landlord can go to the welfare officer and ask for ra payments to be stopped.

So that landlord will call and say what ? Stop paying me the rent I am due

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

So that landlord will call and say what ? Stop paying me the rent I am due

Payments normally go to the tenant who than decides whether to pay the landlord or not.

hytrogen wrote: »
    Or just take the native scroungers who suggest such stupid things and box them off on a boat to the new world, or a mine down in Australia.

Well it’s a great quote you done there your mother must be proud of yea!!
    Well wait till your kids and there kids
    Are looking for a job and a home and there saying I should have listened to my elders .. but in this country we wait till it’s too late ..
    Our religion is gone ,the kids can’t have Santa visit in schools anymore because of the Muslim in our schools .hospitals are at breaking point
    What r will we have left
    Not a lot ,and there’s always one goody two shoes who talks **** about other people been negative .
    Because they don’t live beside them..

Time to abandon thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

It may have been mentioned here before, but in my opinion the planning process needs to be streamlined in order to assist in getting houses built - in particular redefining the role of An Bord Pleanala in dealing with serial objectors.

There is a site behind our estate, on which someone has been trying to get planning for years. Their plans were finally accepted by the council earlier this year, despite objections from a couple of neighbours who didn't want their back gardens to be overlooked. It was appealed to An Bord Pleanala, who have since moved the deadline three times due to "capacity issues". Last I heard, the people trying to build the houses are running into funding issues due to the delay, and further delays may prevent them from proceeding.

IMO, appeals should only be able to go to ABP if it can be reasonably claimed that the councils decision contradicted or misinterpreted a point of planning legislation. "We don't like the answer" shouldn't be grounds to delay a project - in this case, resulting in an abandoned warehouse rife with anti-social behaviour standing where six homes should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Yep you sound genuine but unfortunately there is a huge number taking advantage of the system and giving genuine cases a bad name.

I know, anything that's for free will always be taken advantage of. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of people who really need social welfare to people conning the system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Time to abandon thread

I concur.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement