Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30th Birthday - restaurant?

Options
  • 02-12-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hiya folks,

Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

Looking to bring my OH to a fancy restaurant to celebrate her 30th - somewhere quite fancy so that she will feel the occasion - somewhere in the mid price range, approx €150 for the both of us.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Does you missus generally eat fancy food?

The reason I ask is that expensive restaurants don't always make nice food.

Would you not go to a nice small Italian restaurant where you know the food would be nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Yeah, generally she likes going to 'fancy' restaurants.

Not my scene particularly, but she does enjoy fine food. As it is her birthday, I'm willing to take the bullet on this one and enjoy the plate of tiny food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Chapter One are doing a four-course dinner menu for December for €75pp, might be worth a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The Troc. Never misses.

Trocadero, St.Andrews St.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Marco Pierres on Dawson Street if she likes steak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

The likes of Fire and Shanahans are fancy. But I always feel uncomfortable when the staff are overly formal.
    You're almost afraid to lean back on your chair, relax and take in the atmosphere. They can be a bit too sterile.

Upstairs in fade street social is nice and relaxed. And its a real fun environment too. Great tapas food.

For something a bit fancier you could try Sabor Brazil. Fun, intimate and informative for food lovers. Although you might struggle to get a reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Was at Ely in the IFSC recently and it was amazing. Gorgeous resteraunt and fairly fancy but not so much so that you feel uncomfortable. Food was sublime!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hiya folks,

Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

Looking to bring my OH to a fancy restaurant to celebrate her 30th - somewhere quite fancy so that she will feel the occasion - somewhere in the mid price range, approx €150 for the both of us.

Cheers!

Might be a bit beyond that range, but the Green House on Dawson St is extremely good.
    Polo_Mint wrote: »
    The reason I ask is that expensive restaurants don't always make nice food.

Nor, for that matter, do cheap restaurants. Also, "nice" is a subjective measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

I like Pearl or Cliff Townhouse nice locations too, both do (or used anyway) good value early birds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Bang is lovely and not too formal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Been to Bang / Fade Street Social / and the Rustic Stone.

Id recommend all three tbh. The only one i found a tad more formal (that the other 2) was Bang. But not Shannanan formal, which really isnt my thing.

I say check out the menus on each and see which suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

For a 30th and such a special night, you really should go to the likes of Chapter One / Greenhouse etc... as mentioned. You mentioned she enjoys fine food, so that's ideal.
    To be honest, it's all about the experience and fuss made.
    Many of the other places listed are great, but can be visited for other events / birthdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Marco Pierres on Dawson Street if she likes steak

The one in Donnybrook is better in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Green house is amazing, i'd go there.

Other options are Forest Avenue, Restaurant 41 in Residence http://www.restaurantfortyone.ie/ is really good too.

Delahunt is great too, casual vibe but amazing food.

Only issue is getting a booking with Christmas party session in full swing. Apparently Amuse on Dawson St is good but not been there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In my opinion, Amuse on Dawson Street is the best fine dining in the city right now. I'd also add The Greenhouse, Residence 41, Bastible and Locks as being on top of their game.

Then you also have the good reliables of Chapter One and Thorntons.

Thanks for all the replies here folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

was recently in Darwins on Aungier st.

It was very very nice. Probably not as expensive as you are looking for. But sure you have an expensive bottle of wine.

http://www.darwins.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The likes of Fire and Shanahans are fancy. But I always feel uncomfortable when the staff are overly formal.

I haven't been in Fire for years but it never struck me as overly formal - have they gone more upmarket in the last few years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Am I the only person who doesn't like Fire?

Got an average meal at above average prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Only 2 choices on the menu but excellent. In Donnybrook.

http://www.mulberrygarden.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

New restaurant called Bastible is supposed to be very good, could be tricky getting bookings though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Im going to chime in here and offer Peploes. Incredible food, brilliant staff, good for intimacy or large gatherings and not over the top formal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L'Geueleton, upstairs at Fallon & Byrne, Drury Buildings, Pearl Brasserie, or lunch menu at Patrick Guilbaud would, in my mind, give you good bang for your €150.

Cheers again everyone - I have a table booked for Greenhouse for 21:30 - hoping for a cancellation to an earlier time, but if I reckon that is way too late, I'll try and find an alternative.

OH's birthday is in middle of January, so plenty of time.....also, I suppose it's a sign of how good Greenhouse must be if the reasonable times are booked out over a month in advance.

Also, seeing as ye have been so forthcoming with excellent suggestions, you may be able to help me further....

Restaurant is the day sorted, any good ideas/experiences of activities to do during day in Dublin (reasonably priced?)

I was thinking maybe a couple of hours at a Spa.....or perhaps a Baking class or something....or anything at all really! Any suggestions would be great.

Advertisement