Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to recover deleted folder from usb key

Options
  • 02-12-2015 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I did something very stupid. I cut a folder which had some important files from "Documents" on my Vita computer and paste it to my usb key and then deleted the folder from my key. The folder doesn't not go to the recycle bin it seems and I tried using Recuva but it's not showing those documents. I wanted to do a deep scan but it will take like 6 hours.

The funny thing is that when I type the folder name on search on my computer, it comes up with the folder name and all the documents but they will not open:(

Any advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

beya2009 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I did something very stupid. I cut a folder which had some important files from "Documents" on my Vita computer and paste it to my usb key and then deleted the folder from my key. The folder doesn't not go to the recycle bin it seems and I tried using Recuva but it's not showing those documents. I wanted to do a deep scan but it will take like 6 hours.

The funny thing is that when I type the folder name on search on my computer, it comes up with the folder name and all the documents but they will not open:(

Any advice on this?

Have you tried going the recycle bin when the key is inserted into your pc (probably nonsense but I have a vague recollection of having a related issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

mordeith wrote: »
    Have you tried going the recycle bin when the key is inserted into your pc (probably nonsense but I have a vague recollection of having a related issue)

Hi yes I tried that and unfortunately it's only showing files deleted from the computer. I'm doing a deep scan with recuva now which will take 6 so hopefully I find the files. Surely if I can see the files when I search for the folder there must be somewhere in the computer lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

me_irl wrote: »

Okay thank you:) I will try that if the deep scan with recuva doesn't work:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Folder properties->previous versions should sort you out

edit:Hmm, maybe not on usb key

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Folder properties->previous versions should sort you out

edit:Hmm, maybe not on usb key

That probably would have worked but I just found out that option is only available on Vista Ultimate, Business and Enterprise. Wish this mistake happened on my laptop as that's Windows 7.

Even though I cut and paste the folder from my computer to my flash key, the document was not found when I did a scan with recuva just searching my key so hopefully I get better luck doing the scan on my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Recuva should find these files on the pc,
    you can sort,files for audio, video,documents ,
    and put pdf ,doc into the search bar.
    I use recuva now and again,it found some mp3.s ,pdfs,

some are marked 1.mp3, 2.mp3 ,
    pdf 1, pdf 2 ,pdf 3, doc1 ,doc 3, doc 4 etc
    eg Some of the file names are changed ,
    the files are all there ,
    its just i have to rename them if i wanna use them as say an office doc ,
    letter .
    I just click ,pick out the files i want recovered ,
    ones marked green ,excellent condition .
    AFTER recovery view the files as list details ,or icons ,
    it may show info and original icons ,
    eg file 3.mp3 is today bbc podcast ,eg it shows the bbc today podcast icon .in icon view mode ,if its a music file .
    as an example ,even though its listed as file 3.mp3 .
    eg some file names might be lost ,
    so it just lists mp2 ,mp3,mp6,
    or doc.5,doc 6 etc but all the file in of is still there .

DO not copy any data to drive c , or erase data until you get the files back.
    SET RECUVA to recover to drive d ,or a usb drive ,if you can .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Did you cut or pate anything since, you could just paste again if not.

Scan results came back and it found a ton of files overall but only 2 files from the folder I deleted by mistake and they were both unrecoverable. I did remember trying to copy and paste back the folder on the C drive which looks to have been costly. Also when I search for the folder name name on my computer nothing comes up anymore so they must be all gone. I sure have learned my lesson but I'll live lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement