Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Post Primary Education (History & English) - Hibernia

Options
  • 02-12-2015 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone,

I realise this topic has been flogged to death, so I do apologise in advance of my question!

I have my interview for the Post Primary Masters in Education with Hibernia college next week and I am feeling very out of my depth since I got the confirmation email. I have been out of college 8 years so my subject knowledge would be basic at the moment, but it's something which can be easily remedied with time and study. However the email states:

Suitability to Teach and Subject Knowledge

Candidates will be provided with an opportunity to show that they have investigated both of their subjects and have given some thought to teaching at different levels to different class groups. The reflective task which candidates will complete prior to interview (please see below), will also be used to ascertain the candidate’s subject knowledge.

I have recently completed classroom observation in both of my subjects, which I feel reasonably confident with, however the written 'reflective task' they mention terrifies me. I rang the college to ask for more detail on what type of question could be asked, but all she said was it could be anything from the secondary school curriculum, or anything from college - "just things you'd be expected to know about history, really". How can I revise all of history in a week??!?!? (slight exaggeration, but you understand my fear)...

As I mentioned before, (and thanks for sticking with me this far), this topic has been discussed before on boards.ie, but the interview structure has changed since then, you have to now do the 15 minute written reflective assessment before the interview itself, then there's the subject specific part with two subject professionals, and then there's the general interview.

Is there anyone who has done this interview (or one like it) in the last year who could shed any light on any part of it?

Many many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 annm2812

How did it go - I have mine next week and feeling slightly anxious about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭damojag

annm2812 wrote: »
    How did it go - I have mine next week and feeling slightly anxious about it!

How did yours go? Did you do the reflective task?

Advertisement