Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am looking for bird bath

Options
  • 02-12-2015 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I am looking to get my mum a bird bath for her garden. Has anyone any ideas where I could get one in Dublin North preferable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Mind reader Skulltown, I'm in the same boat. Want my garden to be more insect and bird friendly. Already have untended bushes, long grass, dead wood area, loose soil with weeds behind a big tree, nest boxes, bird feeders with Nijer seed and fat balls. I've panted lots of flowers for the spring, over 150 bulbs. I want a good sturdy bird bath. Willing to spend up to €70 for something that fits in with the natural look garden, something cement or stone. I already have loads of visiting amazing coloured finches and other song birds. I get curlews in the deep winter for some reason.

More tips appreciated. A reasonably priced bird table would be cool, one that didn't fall apart. (coastal, salty winds!!)

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would have thought they'd be relatively common in garden centres. maybe just ring ahead to see if they have them in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're dead right. Just thought some experts would have an inside knowledge on very hard wearing stuff. I have a feeling it might mean hard work like "weather proofing" wood (for the feeder).

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

You need a bath that is easy to clean, that is essential for hygiene. You will need to keep it clean and disinfect it regularly if it is being used. For me stone just doesn't work or anything that is heavy to move. You can get small ones that hang off feeder poles they are the handiest. I have a cast iron one too, its ok but a pain to clean.
    Likewise i would advise seed/nut feeders over tables, once again for hygiene purposes, tables are a nightmare to keep clean.
    The hanging seed feeders will cover most small birds, for ground feeders they will collect what falls or you can get small wire mesh feeding trays and put them on the ground and turn a hanging basket upside down over it, keeps out pigeons and magpies for me but blackbirds can squeeze through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 iambeave

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Mind reader Skulltown, I'm in the same boat. Want my garden to be more insect and bird friendly. Already have untended bushes, long grass, dead wood area, loose soil with weeds behind a big tree, nest boxes, bird feeders with Nijer seed and fat balls. I've panted lots of flowers for the spring, over 150 bulbs. I want a good sturdy bird bath. Willing to spend up to €70 for something that fits in with the natural look garden, something cement or stone. I already have loads of visiting amazing coloured finches and other song birds. I get curlews in the deep winter for some reason.

More tips appreciated. A reasonably priced bird table would be cool, one that didn't fall apart. (coastal, salty winds!!)

Thanks in advance.

Bird houses and tables available - no bird baths though. Pm if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

I am going to hold of on this one until the summer there is not a huge selection around the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

skulltown wrote: »
    I am going to hold of on this one until the summer there is not a huge selection around the shops

You should keep an eye out in aldi add lidil,they have them a couple of times a year. My mam got one there and it's perfect,the garden is full of birds every morning waiting their turn to take a bath. Also not expensive,but if you were looking for something now,the Orchard garden center in celbridge (I know that's prob out of your way but it's a fab centre and well worth the visit) would have them,but they would not be cheap.

Advertisement