Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear Powerline 1200

Options
  • 02-12-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I just bought a Netgear Powerline 1200 in order to boost the wifi to my upstairs in my house. I now have doubts that this will not work wirelessly. Downstairs I have connected one adaptor with an Ethernet cable to my router. Upstairs I have one adaptor powered on but connected to nothing.

I can't work out if my setup is correct or if this device will actually do what I need it to do.

Can anybody please shed some light on the situation. I have sent off an email to Netgear but I may not be able to access my emails tomorrow so I was looking for a quick answer.

Many thanks for your help,
    Glenn.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You've done it right, assuming you bought the kit with one wireless unit and one main unit.

Connect a laptop to the upstairs one and disable laptops wifi, if you've done it right the laptop will still be online, if not it wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I'm not entirely sure if it has one wireless unit. Both look exactly the same to me so I would assume neither is specifically wireless.

When you say connect a laptop to the upstairs one how exactly do you mean? I have three possibly four devices (they all won't be on at the same time) upstairs so using this device with the Ethernet is not possible.

The reason I bought it was to boost the wifi signal to the upstairs.

Please excuse my minimal knowledge of these devices as its my first time ever using such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

So basically they will not provide the function that I want?

Nope, not without an extra device the size of a router.

Just return em and get wireless enabled ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement