Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse Collection Companies - Annual Contracts

Options
  • 02-12-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Are we all facing annual contracts from the 1st of July next year when pay by weight is introduced. Looks that way from this.

OXIGEN%20ANNUAL%20CONTRACT._zpsaulsm5ii.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

danjo-xx wrote: »
    ... next year when pay by weight is introduced. ....

You're not paying by weight at the moment? For the black bin at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

coylemj wrote: »
    You're not paying by weight at the moment? For the black bin at any rate.

I know of nobody yet paying by weight.

We pay with a tag per lift.

For a refuse (purple) bin collection in DLR, Greenstar charge a fixed 'lift' charge plus a per kg charge based on weight and a reduced rate for the compost (brown) bin. Green bin is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Most companies in South Dublin are 1) up front fee, 2) charge per lift (up to max weight) and 3) charge per excess weight

Green bins will always be free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Thorntons started during the year with us...a €9.90 lift turned into a €19 lift as we were charged "excess weight fee" for anything over 40 ( kg?). Happened twice, but seems to have stopped as todays bin was well over 40 (77) and charge back down to €9.90 with no excess !?!?

edit.....they updated my account....40kg was 9.90......excess 37kg was 7.40.....so charge still there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Greyhound want €199 for 2016 - last year it was €175 and no lift charges, no weight charges.

They say bin lift prices, if any (in my case none) will remain the same but they don't mention anything about weight charges.

I wonder will they try and charge for weight from July 2016 or would this not start until January 2017 onwards once you pay the €199 for 2016?

Dodge wrote: »
    Most companies in South Dublin are 1) up front fee, 2) charge per lift (up to max weight) and 3) charge per excess weight

Green bins will always be free

I don't know about Panda (their website wants you to sign up before they tell you how much they charge) but Greenstar charges for every kg they lift. The poster above implies that the lift charge includes a set weight which is definitely not the case with Greenstar. I have a compost bin so my refuse (purple) bin is relatively light when full but I'm charged every time based on weight plus the lift charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Grayhound Charged Me a fee for every lift, Plus an extra fee for every kg over an allocated weight, This was fine until I noticed that for the Brown Bin, The allocated weight was less than one quarter of the full bin. I think at the time it cost Me €6.20 for the lift ( Including weight) Plus €27 for the rest of the full bin.
    No need to say I told them to go take a hike and switched to CityBin ( RedBin).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

This pay by weight has the potential for unscrupulous companies to overcharge as most customers have no way of knowing the weight of their bins.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do the NSAI have any role to play in the calibration and monitoring of rubbish bin scales? It seems like an area they should monitor.

http://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Measurement/FAQs.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

dudara wrote: »
    Do the NSAI have any role to play in the calibration and monitoring of rubbish bin scales? It seems like an area they should monitor.

http://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Measurement/FAQs.aspx

On the ball, this from Oxigen FAQ's
    Q. Can I trust the system? How do I know the weighing equipment is calibrated correctly?

A. All Oxigen weighing equipment is certified by Legal Metrology (a division of the National Standards Authority of Ireland). NSAI subject equipment to regular audits. In the extremely unlikely event that the weighing systems fail, and we empty your bin, we will only charge you based on your average weights over the previous 4 collections.
    Q. How will I know how heavy my bin is?
    A. Your bin will be weighed by the bin truck, and cost of the waste in the bin will be subtracted from the balance on your account. The weight of the standard black bin is between 30kg and 55kg. The weight of the standard green bin is between 10kg and 25kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Anybody has the current domestic charges for Greenstar: not available on website unless u sign up
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We pay with a tag per lift.

Its not uncommon. I'm on a banded weight system with Thorntons; I've been Band A (under 230kg a year - I think, its not on their website) forever though so I'm not too scared of full pay by weight. May end up spending less!

Advertisement