Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to buy games for the new play station

Options
  • 02-12-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I bought the other half a play station for crimbo I am sure I heard them talking about not having to buy them anymore you can just buy online. Now I don't want to give to him on Christmas with out a game if he can't download and buy them online please help. I'm not great with this stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

mckar wrote: »
    I bought the other half a play station for crimbo I am sure I heard them talking about not having to buy them anymore you can just buy online. Now I don't want to give to him on Christmas with out a game if he can't download and buy them online please help. I'm not great with this stuff.

Yeah you can buy the games online now but the shops still sell the discs like normal. Just get him one like Fifa if he likes football or Need for Speed if he likes racing games. Your man in the shop will point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Yup, you can purchase games online through the Playstation Store, but will depend on the internet connection (they're a hefty size, as well as updates). The Playstation Plus subscription offers some discounts and free montly games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

It would be best to have at least physical game to give with it for Christmas Day. Many people receive them as presents so the servers take a bit of a beating and can be very slow. Do you have a large download limit? Games can be up to 50GB so eat data very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mckar

Thank you we have really good Internet. I think it's pes he wants. Said it's better then fifa now I think . Wasn't sure if it was better to do it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MDwyer

id say try and suss a game he likes and buy an actual copy in a shop.

cause if you have slow net he could be ages waiting for a game to download at xmas time to play

• Advertisement

Senecio wrote: »
    It would be best to have at least physical game to give with it for Christmas Day. Many people receive them as presents so the servers take a bit of a beating and can be very slow. Do you have a large download limit? Games can be up to 50GB so eat data very quickly.

Ok think I will buy it then just so there are no problems on the day. Sounds like it's not as simple as just a click n wait for abit haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Damien360

As everyone turns on their ps4 on Christmas Day, the likelihood of slow ps servers or even servers falling over is high. Buy a physical disc to avoid disappointment.

Senecio wrote: »

I thought mabe it was the done thing now instead I got it from little woods the game packs were not what he was looking for so just got the limited addition star wars ps4. With no games. Not really been in shops that sell the games, thanks for your help physical disc sounds like a winner so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Absolutely a good idea to get a disc especially after the ****e that happened last Christmas with the servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

the other advantage of a disk is that when he wants to change it , he can sell it to the likes of CEX for a few quid to go towards another one.

• Advertisement

the other advantage of a disk is that when he wants to change it , he can sell it to the likes of CEX for a few quid to go towards another one.

Very good point actually I never even thought if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If you're going to buy him a game, buying them online is a much better idea for price.

Games in Gamestop and HMV can be €75 whereas you can buy them online at sites such as www.thegamecollection.net/ (one I always use) for around €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I would buy the physical game discs otherwise he will waste all of Christmas day trying to download them (depending on your connection speed) and if the servers go down he won't have anything to play.

Just make sure you shop around. The likes of gamestop are usually the most expensive.

If you're going to buy him a game, buying them online is a much better idea for price.

Games in Gamestop and HMV can be €75 whereas you can buy them online at sites such as www.thegamecollection.net/ (one I always use) for around €50.

Tried that link not working strange thing coming up when I click it.

Thanks I will have a look online

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

To just reiterate here the best option here is to buy at least one game for Christmas day, he can sort out online games himself afterwards.

Suggesting you buy online is giving you bad advice. Last year the whole PS4 network went down so you couldn't get online at all, even if it stays up there will be loads of people online and servers will be very slow. The last thing you want is to be sitting there for 2-3 hrs at best on a game to download.

Unless you want to see a grown man cry make sure he has at least one physical game to keep him busy on Christmas day. He can use the suggested websites and buy off the psn store himself after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Might be a good idea to pay for a year of PlayStation Plus too, where you get 1 or 2 games for free every month via download, plus get the ability to play your games against people on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

Just in case you haven't gone ahead yet, PES is half price at the moment online under the 12 deals of Christmas so you need to get it by end of tomorrow (I think). €30 still €60 in most stores.

I would suggest buy it online (if you haven't done so already) and set up the Playstation before Christmas so you can download the game without worrying about network traffic on the day.

Even if you have already got the console and physical game, I would still suggest setting it up first just in case it needs to download any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Last year the PSN and XBL networks went down because of the Lizard Squad DDos attack, the PSN took longer to come back online because it has over twice the traffic XBL has and less server capacity than Microsoft.

Still, I wouldn't count on it holding up as it struggled with Thanks Giving just gone with all the extra US PS4s coming online.

Even if you have fantastic games, it could still take a long time to download games, because the servers are so clogged. Take what happened with Fallout 4 on release day and the download of that, which took 28 hours to download (yes, 28). Whereas recently I downloaded Watch Dogs, which was a similar enough size, and took a fraction of that.. maybe 5 - 6 hours (let it download overnight).

Advertisement