Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Pubs :)

Options
  • 03-12-2015 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello
    Pretty new to Cork and was planning on doing the 12 pubs of Christmas down here for the 15th!
    So could anyone give me a list of good pubs to go to for this? I'm 18 btw so no over 21's please :) Thanks in advance !!

P.S. I know its relatively early to be doing the 12 pubs but some of us are going away over Christmas :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

15th is a Tuesday so you'll avoid the majority of the crowds doing a 12 pubs on the weekends, the main issue here is age and if you'll be left into and served at pubs so be prepared to be asked for ID along the way.

The best suggestion is to just pick a street and head into 12 pubs along the way. The traditonal 12 pubs streets are usually Barrack St, Washington St or Oliver Plunket St but theres always North/South Main street too.

If it was me I'd pick Oliver Plunket St as its central and has ample pubs along the street and just off that you should have no issues with.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

I would go with Barrack street to be honest,especially as its probably your first 12 pubs,Just be aware that not every bar might serve you.
    Barrack street breaks up the night as there's 2 or 3 minutes walk between some bars which can help when on a big session.

Either way you will end up back in town anyway as the street brings you into the main nightclub area.-South main/hanover street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

McCurtain Steeet is another good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭brevity

Barrack Street is a good one to start with IMO. Lots of different types of pubs but Tom Barry's probably won't let you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

brevity wrote: »
    Barrack Street is a good one to start with IMO. Lots of different types of pubs but Tom Barry's probably won't let you in.

We were in Tom Barrys last year, 6 of us, 27-32 kind of age range, it was pub 6 or 7 for us and we had no problem getting in but there was larger and more rowdy crowds turned away, served everything in plastic glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Chelsea 123

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone! :)
    I am leaning more towards Oliver Plunket St myself, mainly because I'm most familiar with it then the others,
    Which pub would be best to start with? Old Oak or the Oliver Plunket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Next thing you will want us to drink it for you too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Would a young crowd not have trouble with Oliver Plunkett street?
    Always did either Maccurtain street or the north / south main street area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chelsea 123

liam7831 wrote: »
    Next thing you will want us to drink it for you too

No need to be rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone! :)
    I am leaning more towards Oliver Plunket St myself, mainly because I'm most familiar with it then the others,
    Which pub would be best to start with? Old Oak or the Oliver Plunket?

If I was you I'd start in Annie Macs on bandon road and work your way down onto Barricks street and then head too town from there it's cheaper, no bouncers and a good way too see some pubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭brevity

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We were in Tom Barrys last year, 6 of us, 27-32 kind of age range, it was pub 6 or 7 for us and we had no problem getting in but there was larger and more rowdy crowds turned away, served everything in plastic glasses.

It's a nice pub and a great beer garden but they can be picky about who they let in - even if you are sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I hear Mallow is nice this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Enjoy OP, tis great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

All I say is know your limits, don't try to be a have a go hero and drink 12 pints when all you're capable of is 6. I used to work in Fordes, the last pub on Barrack Street so I've seen men and women of all ages in some disgraceful states. Whenever I do it, I tend to have a Lucozade every third pub, you'll might get a ribbing but it'll be better in the long run and much more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Could start at Costigans and work your way down Washington street and into O'Plunkett street ?

Advertisement