Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy with where you live?

Options
  • 03-12-2015 3:05am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, are You happy with where you live?

Not just the actual dwelling but the location it's in. Is it convenient to shops, transport, nightlife etc?

Where would be your ideal place to live? Where you are now or somewhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

Everything's a compromise. I'd love a bigger garden and late afternoon sun, and not to have drunk people in the street outside at night. But it's worth it for the access to transport, shopping and social life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Yes.

Everything's a compromise. I'd love a bigger garden and late afternoon sun, and not to have drunk people in the street outside at night. But it's worth it for the access to transport, shopping and social life.

I have a huge garden (8 acres) and no drunks.

But the nearest shop is 5.2 miles away and there's a bus every Friday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

im delighted now from a location point of view. I lived in drogheda for ten years which was a lovely place to live but both my husband and I were commuting to dublin daily and when our baby came along the commute took its toll. Now we live 5 mins from my job and 20 mins from dublin city centre with loads of public transport around us. My parents live at the top of our road. Yes our house is older and needs a good bit of work over the years but the location is priceless to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

No. We bought in a commuter town in 2006 with the intention of selling and moving back. Then the arse fell out of the economy. Now I spend about 14 hours in 5 days driving to work and school with 2 smallies in the back. Hindsight is a marvellous thing

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yep. S'grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Yes. It's quiet and there are very few people. No buses/shops/trams or pubs.

The only sounds I hear are the birds singing and the wind in the trees, and at night there is complete darkness.

If I want any of the aforementioned, I just get into the car and drive.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I did live in a city centre apartment for 2 years and it was great rolling out of bed half an hour before work and being able to walk home from the pub at the weekend, but I'd rather compromise on this and have my peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I love it. A fantastic house, a big garden (1/3 of an acre), walking distance to everything, near my family, mostly nice neighbours, a few minutes from the river but high enough that flooding is never a risk. It's like a dream come true, especially as I bought it for cash. :) If I could change one thing I'd love rear vehicular access. I have a fantasy about buying a nice camper van in a few years and while it and a couple of cars would easily fit in the driveway, I'd far prefer to be able to park it out back. It's the very definition of first world problems though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So-so.

Positives are it's a 10 minute walk from my work, a 30 second walk to a green luas stop and decent sized.

Negatives are that the area itself is very quiet (you can't really walk to a pub), we don't get much sun (sun gone by 7pm in the summer) and it's an apartment that is overlooked by offices (hence why the area is quiet in evenings and weekends).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

100% happy with location. 5 mins drive from a decent town in a countryside location but walkable to shops and transport if necessary - 1 km to the end of the road. Equidistant to families, 40 mins each way. We were actually thinking of moving to a house at the end of the road, we offered on it but didn't get it, and the only other houses that we would consider moving to are within a half mile radius, on this road or a side road off it. But we built an extension instead so we'll only move if we need to downsize in the distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Just moved to new place. Very happy with town house, complex seems really quiet and 10 minutes walk to bus and shops. Also I have bought as opposed to renting. Down side is that commute to work is 1 hour and 20 minutes. However the peace of mind I now feel following 3 years of renting means I am up for the commute and am glad to be fit and well to do it.

Good question raised by OP. You have to weigh up the pros and cons and what is great for one person does not suit another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yes, I wouldn't have bought where I did if everything was not to my liking. Would be just setting yourself up for a miserable existence otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Yes.

The house is in a good location with access to public transport, shops, cinema etc.

Also I am only a 5 minute cycle from work which is a god send.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, but it's cheap compared to similar apartments and in a handy location. Standard of apartments here is dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Logicost31

Very, but we're renting an apartment. It's ideal for now, but will not suit our future needs. We're saving up to buy a house, so trying to find somewhere that will suit us long term. So many factors to consider, it's a bit daunting!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Very happy. Great neighbours, quiet cul de sac, never any bother, twenty minutes walk to the GPO, bus from the end of the street to Tallaght, Dundrum, Howth, Malahide etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yes, it's perfect! We took a long time finding a place we love, but it's 10 minutes walk to the city centre, quiet, parking, nice neighbourhood and close to work. I love living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I love it, I can see the sea, got the dart and bus within walking distance, nice neighbours good facilities, near my family.

The only other place I would live is parts of the north side of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Very. Live in the heart of the countryside with a big sky and lots of fields and hill views. No next-door neighbours, peace and quiet - easy driving distance to main shops - we don't have any transport links except the car. I lived in a built up area more than half my life and if I want to experience the hustle and bustle it's only a train ride away but lately I have grown more than happy with the rural pace of life.

Property was cheaper should be mortgage free in a few years - Best decision ever to move to the country although the first couple of years it did take a little bit of getting used to. Winters can be hard but beautiful too!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Love the location, Have all the major supermarkets within 5 mins walk including cinema, greengrocers, butchers and fishmongers. 20 minute walk into town.

Lovely warm new build, only downsides are I live amongst students that have regular parties and can be really noisy.

I'm lucky I'm renting as if I knew I had to put up with it long term I'd be more annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have lived in the countryside in the past and loved that as well it has it disadvantage as you get older though.

I had an operation last year and could not drive for four weeks, I would have been very stranded and dependant on others if I was in the countryside. Where I live now I was able to walk everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

S'grand. 25 minute cycle into town for work. €12 home in a taxi if required. Loads of buses, shops etc Quiet street. Close enough to the 'rents so I can keep an eye on them. Nice garden (although I have zero interest in gardens or gardening but it's a thing). Loads of parks.

Team Dublin 12 representing.

Not happy with the house, it's a houseshare and im sick of sharing I could afford to rent my own place now but I just can't justify the cost of it the way things are and for now I'm sticking it out and saving the money for a deposit.

As for location I enjoy where im living at the moment it's close to a city centre and a walk to work however it's not where I want to live long term. I want to settle down back near home and my family (currently a few hours drive away) in the countyside. I also love working on the family farm and would like to be involved in that day to day rather than just on weekends etc (along with a full time job too of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Love the area. I'm five minutes walk to bus stop, eight minute walk to train station, both in easy distance of city centre. I have a big shopping centre and just about every facility you need in walking distance. Good choice of schools and all amenties. Family friendly, safe, nice place to live.

The house itself isn't my ideal. It's grand, but not my forever home.

But if I won the lotto, I'd definitely be considering buying a house somewhere in the general area! It's a nice place to raise a child. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Happy. Right on the outskirts of Dublin a 10 minute drive from the mountains. 20 minute drive to work (outside of rush hour obviously). Am in an apartment which does me fine for the moment but will be buying a house within the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very.

In beautiful rural location, yet close to small villages and towns, beaches. Loads of space round house. Close to school for kids. Great community.

Plenty of pubs nearby too, although with young kids my social life is not what it used to be!

25min from the border, with 30 taking me to centre of city that offers anything I need that I can't get locally

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our location is perfect but then we probably would not have bought it if it was not. I could do with a bigger more modern house but it would be hard to give up the location.

We live within walking distance of schools,a Universtiy,Lidl,Aldi,Tesco,Dunnes and Super Valu,the train station,Dublin Bus stops,Bus Eireann stops,lovely playgrounds,restaurants,pubs,coffee shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My location was ok until a few weeks ago, since my pisshead junkie neighbour dropped dead it's perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

There tends to be some problem with every place I rented but this one is pretty good and cheap. Looking at daft now Im unbelievably screwed if I have to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I live in a very central location in a beautiful city and have a great choice of restaurants, bars, clubs, concert venues (including a football stadium and ice hockey stadium) all within 10 minutes walk from me.

I am surrounded by mountains, beaches, forests and spectacular scenery so I can take a drive out there whenever I feel like it so I have the urban/rural mix too whenever I like

...so the answer is yes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

OP here. Great to see that most posters are very happy with where they live.

I myself am pretty happy. 20 min walk from city centre, located right along the wall of the Phoenix Park. 1 min walk to bus stop and a big Tesco within a 10 min walk. The abode itself is 2 bed apt on the ground floor with a decent sized kitchen. Ideal for me on my lonesome.

Planning on moving within the next couple of years, but this location is really good.

Advertisement