Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy with where you live?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I remember my cousin saying to me, sure when you go home & close the curtains it could be anywhere & she was right. I suppose it depends on how much you value & enjoy pottering about a friendly hub or being 'close" to town. I have a lovely house, south facing,large rooms, well insulated, managable mortgage, 5 minutes drive to the beach, open fields & horses nearby etc but what kill me is the absolute unreliability of " public transport' which takes the joy out of everything & means you have to drive & just can't be spontaneous or have to plan expensive taxis or all day value-voyages & drag change of shoes/coat lunch money with you .
    If we only had a bus that came, or came more than once an hour ( if it comes at all) or a link to the DART - as primised - ir metro link - as primised - and a regular reliable way of getting into the city/places then it would be really great - but we are left on the periphery of opportunity at at the mercy of the thuggery of a disinterested dublin bus 'service' .

Also, if Someone would kill my awful neighbours I would be extremely happy & the days would be sweeter & filled with light & I would sleep the sleep of the innocent.

My job has changed a few times in the 10 years I'm here so although I'd LOVE a short commuteI'd be wary of choosing a less attractive house for a shorter commute as this could change quickly.

Next time I buy it will be detached - no neighbours. I could easily work with the same house - only with a window in the upper bathroom & a bigger garden and a proper functioning bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I rent and absolutely love where we live. We rent a brand new cottage in the beautiful countryside. The house is right beside a stables, with our only neighbours being horses! 8 minute drive to the sea, 5 minute drive to a local village with shops, pubs, bakeries, butchers, and a gym. A 5 minute drive to the M1 motorway which gets you to two large towns in 15-20 mins. Can also be in Dublin in an hour if I really need to be. Love the peace of living in the countryside, being able to walk the dog across the fields, with rivers and streams. Beats city life for me any day. (Each to their own though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I Love where I live. Lovely neighbours, primary school and 3 secondary schools a few mins walk away. Our son is the 3rd generation in the family growing up here. Close to the city and m50. I just wish the traffic in the mornings was like every Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Dont have an option, new rules/laws since the last few years. Now only allowed to get a mortgage of 3.5 times my annual salary, so 30 k max as as a maintenance tech so only allowed about 100k mortgage as I'm on average pay, so no way i can ever afford even the cheapest rubbish in dublin.
    I'm 43 and can never afford to leave home.
    This generation can never afford a home unless sharing a home.

Most of the people i know that can get a home get married just to get a house even if they cant stand each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I do now, but I didn't at first.

My wife was very keen on the garden that came with the house (it's huge) and the house needed a fair bit of work. In fairness she saw the potential as a 'bad' house in a good area.

Neighbours are great and everything we need is within walking distance or a short drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Live a 3 minute walk from Spencer dock luas stop in east wall, best decision I've ever made to move here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Live a 3 minute walk from Spencer dock luas stop in east wall, best decision I've ever made to move here

I used to live around there, in Alexandra Place, absolutely loved it!

Skatedude wrote: »
    .............. so 30 k max as as a maintenance tech so only allowed about 100k mortgage as I'm on average pay, so no way i can ever afford even the cheapest rubbish in dublin.
    This generation can never afford a home unless sharing a home..............

there's always hope, I've worked in places where maintenance techs were on closer to €40k and got shift on top of that so gross of close to €60k/annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Skatedude wrote: »
    Dont have an option, new rules/laws since the last few years. Now only allowed to get a mortgage of 3.5 times my annual salary, so 30 k max as as a maintenance tech so only allowed about 100k mortgage as I'm on average pay, so no way i can ever afford even the cheapest rubbish in dublin.
    This generation can never afford a home unless sharing a home.

If you're only on 30k, then you're below Dublin's income threshold for council housing. This means that the government accepts that you cannot afford to house yourself, and expects to provide subsidised housing for you.

Now, this isn't going to happen quickly. But if you get onto the council housing list now, you will hopefully get allocated a place before you're retired. And actually, you become eligible for elderly-and-disabled housing at 55, so should find that you get a place around about then.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

We bought a house in an estate where we had previously rented. We never thought we would be able to afford to buy a house there to be frank,but we were lucky enough to get a mortgage approved in the depths of the recession and bought at the bottom of the market. I'd like to say we saw the crash coming and were financially savvy but the reality is we were just plain lucky. Definitely happy where we live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Location of my rented farmhouse is grand. No neighbours and a wild scenery I love, A little basic but that is fine too...Now I have sorted that I do not need to be on the council housing list to get rent allowance I am happier as I could not live in town. (Threshold, thanks!) I would rather own in some ways as my landlord is a little odd and keeps saying he wants the house, but so far I am still here .... Just a safe roof and basics is all I need at my age ( well over 70 now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I like my area, although theres a fair few around here that think letting their dogs bark morning noon and night is fine... Besides that... Its nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Graces7 wrote: »
    Location of my rented farmhouse is grand. No neighbours and a wild scenery I love, A little basic but that is fine too...Now I have sorted that I do not need to be on the council housing list to get rent allowance I am happier as I could not live in town. (Threshold, thanks!) I would rather own in some ways as my landlord is a little odd and keeps saying he wants the house, but so far I am still here .... Just a safe roof and basics is all I need at my age ( well over 70 now)

Are you in a Part 4 tenancy? Does your landlord want the house for himself or a family member? If so he can give you notice to leave.

http://www.let.ie/articles/if-your-landlord-wants-you-to-leave

Your landlord must always give you notice when asking you to leave. (Read more under 'Notice periods' and 'Notice of termination', below.) Landlords can ask tenants to leave without giving a reason during the first six months of a tenancy. Landlords can terminate a tenancy that has lasted between six months and four years (a Part 4 tenancy) only in the following circumstances...If the landlord needs the property for him/herself or for an immediate family member.

Emme wrote: »
    Are you in a Part 4 tenancy? Does your landlord want the house for himself or a family member? If so he can give you notice to leave.

http://www.let.ie/articles/if-your-landlord-wants-you-to-leave

Your landlord must always give you notice when asking you to leave. (Read more under 'Notice periods' and 'Notice of termination', below.) Landlords can ask tenants to leave without giving a reason during the first six months of a tenancy. Landlords can terminate a tenancy that has lasted between six months and four years (a Part 4 tenancy) only in the following circumstances...If the landlord needs the property for him/herself or for an immediate family member.

Thank you but worry not ! I know the law very very well and have talked with Threshold. I am in the fourth year of a part 4 and this is a good man with some housing issues himself but who has no idea re the law. he thought first of selling then of moving here but I do not think either will happen. Threshold are grand in a situation like this and I will take it month by month. The house was empty years as it is so very isolated. It is just talk at present thankfully

I like my area, although theres a fair around here that think letting their dogs bark morning noon and night is fine... Besides that... Its nice...

Been there dealt with that.... maddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I love my area! Living in north Dublin. (ooooooh run away I might rob your house while you read this :p).

Reasons?
    Near the coast (walk on a nice day)
    Walk to St Annes park
    Loads of bus options into town
    walking distance to the Dart
    Near loads things, shops, banks, pharmacies...etc.
    Nice pub options
    12-13 euro in a taxi home from Dame street at night.
    20 min leisurely cycle into town
    50 min walk to Croker on a nice sunny day
    Nice big terraced houses with huge gardens!
    m50/m1 easily accessible

Seriously this area is a hidden gem with loads of houses for sale at the moment but often gets overlooked because of its name! Terraced house 1200sqft size, 400 sqft garage, 120 ft long garden. Despite it being a terraced house, there is alot of extension potential.

Having being a southside renter all my life, ideally I'd love Ranelagh or Dartry but I wasn't willing to live in a shoebox that needed work for 500k of a mortgage or buy an equivalent sized house and condition for 700-800k. I'm a north side convert (not convict :) )

EDIT: Oh, and no flood threats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Yes, mostly.

I rent a gorgeous 2 bed, spacious ground floor apartment in a lovely quiet and safe area. There is a wonderful sense of community, pretty surroundings and great amenities. Close to bus stop and 20=25 mins walk from dart.
    Wonderful landlord and good neighbours.

But, the commute is a pain in the arse. At the moment it is not unusual to spend an hour and half getting door to door home. Traffic is unreal and full buses drive by you. The dart is a squash too and takes as long with a bus journey at the other end or a walk in the rain.

However, that's the sacrifice we made for a peaceful and spacious home in a pretty seaside town with mouth watering eateries, views that make you think you are constantly on holiday and a community that helps and welcomes every day.

So, yeah, I am happy! Tired but happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I love it, I live in a terraced house that was built in 1890-the second one I bought and renovated in this row. It is literally 5 minutes walk from the center of town, 5 minutes walk from a beautiful cathedral, 5 minutes walk from a 25,000 acre national park where I walk my dog every day-without a lead. It is a residential neighborhood, it's really quiet, most neighbors are great. there is parking out the front of the house and a garden with rear access that I built a garage on, and store my vintage convertible.

I love it, I live in a terraced house that was built in 1890-the second one I bought and renovated in this row. It is literally 5 minutes walk from the center of town, 5 minutes walk from a beautiful cathedral, 5 minutes walk from a 25,000 acre national park where I walk my dog every day-without a lead. It is a residential neighborhood, it's really quiet, most neighbors are great. there is parking out the front of the house and a garden with rear access that I built a garage on, and store my vintage convertible.

Killarney? My local town and I love it...

Been there dealt with that.... maddening.

How did you deal with it. Id have to call to about six houses and that seems an awful battle to get into. Luckily none bark in the middle of the night but theres a few that can be out yapping at 7.30 am and up to midnight. I honestly think its the height of ignorance to have a dog out yapping. I feel sorry for one dog he whines for the owner. Some people shouldnt be let own pets.

Theres one house just up the road and they seem to head off in the mornings and they just let their dog run around the estate loose. I do see him a good bit running around yapping and i suspect its him crapping (ive yet to see if its actually him fouling the strip of grass on the road outside... )

So i actually really like the area bar the dogs and house alarms that seem to be a regular thing also. I probably notice it more as i work from home.

• Advertisement

Killarney? My local town and I love it...

Got it in one-best town in Ireland-probably the world actually…..

How did you deal with it. Id have to call to about six houses and that seems an awful battle to get into. Luckily none bark in the middle of the night but theres a few that can be out yapping at 7.30 am and up to midnight. I honestly think its the height of ignorance to have a dog out yapping. I feel sorry for one dog he whines for the owner. Some people shouldnt be let own pets.

Theres one house just up the road and they seem to head off in the mornings and they just let their dog run around the estate loose. I do see him a good bit running around yapping and i suspect its him crapping (ive yet to see if its actually him fouling the strip of grass on the road outside... )

So i actually really like the area bar the dogs and house alarms that seem to be a regular thing also. I probably notice it more as i work from home.

Well OK; you take a deep breath and make a total nuisance of yourself with as many animal welfare groups and council depts as you can find and there are plenty. You give the address of the worst offenders....A dog running loose is against the law, so contact the dog warden.... and the SPCA... I used to email the Chief Veterinary Officer for my area...email is amazing! It worked. There are noise regulations so this is a noise nuisance.. I have done it successfully.. one time an old man was leaving his dog out in the bitter cold. I was talking to a neighbour and said I was worried that the man might be ill and should I call the gardai? never heard the dog again. Man at the back was chaining his dog up in the field in the terrible weather.All night.. I gather he had several official visitors... it stopped...

Got it in one-best town in Ireland-probably the world actually…..

We probably pass each other! Off there in an hour or so....I haunt the National Park and have many friends on the staff there. I knitted the adult elf hats for the Christmas magic event..

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Love where we live. In the countryside down a country lane, still have neighbours close enough if we needed them. Shop, post office in the village which is a five minute drive away.
    Work for me is 25 minute drive.... The peace and quiet we have here is priceless.

Well OK; you take a deep breath and make a total nuisance of yourself with as many animal welfare groups and council depts as you can find and there are plenty. You give the address of the worst offenders....A dog running loose is against the law, so contact the dog warden.... and the SPCA... I used to email the Chief Veterinary Officer for my area...email is amazing! It worked. There are noise regulations so this is a noise nuisance.. I have done it successfully.. one time an old man was leaving his dog out in the bitter cold. I was talking to a neighbour and said I was worried that the man might be ill and should I call the gardai? never heard the dog again. Man at the back was chaining his dog up in the field in the terrible weather.All night.. I gather he had several official visitors... it stopped...

Wow, thats impressive action. Food for thought there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

We probably pass each other! Off there in an hour or so....I haunt the National Park and have many friends on the staff there. I knitted the adult elf hats for the Christmas magic event..

Another (former) Killarney resident here! I still manage to go home quite frequently as I am only in Cork. I do miss the place though. Nothing like trying to decide what part of the National Park to bring the dog for a walk, and then going there. :)

Wow, thats impressive action. Food for thought there

Dogs should not be left out like that.. Funny as yesterday I called at the garage where the owner of the dogs who were being chained out in all weathers worked and she was on duty! Talk about cold shoulder! I had stopped her in the street and asked re the dogs before I took any action and in these cases the pen is mightier than the sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

We're incredibly happy. We bought a lovely, well sized terrace in D12.
    Loads of amenities near by
    Easy commute
    Close to some lovely parks
    Easy access to centre of town
    Great community
    Near enough to family

My only issue is that most of our friends live on the north side of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Yup I love where I live, Ashbourne
    5 supermarkets to choose from
    Nice pubs and places to eat
    Blanch / Swords/ Airport on your doorstep
    Decent transport in and out to city centre (Ashbourne Connect)

• Advertisement

You must know me so-I am always down the park, I walk down there with my brindle boxer-He is always off the leash -I hope you're not one of the people that constantly says he has to be on a leash-I'm sick of telling people, he doesn't have to be on a leash-just under control.

Advertisement