Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dublin Street Signs?

Options
  • 03-12-2015 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

now that we have the new postcodes in place, isn't it time to update the Dublin Street signs? The level of inconsistency in design on some of these is appalling.

I think a new update for all signs is needed. Also, there appear to be a lot of streets in the city with no signs at all. It must be so confusing for tourists!

Here's my proposal...

370499.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Having a multi-coloured design could increase costs and maintenance substantially and would mean a change to printed design.

I don't think there are too many designs. As I understand it, there are:
    * the 1920s(?) green enamel ones, some of which suffer from rust.
    * the 1940s-1960s yellow cast iron ones
    * the modern blue ones

While the existing designs use a smaller font size for the Irish, I suspect this may fall foul of the Offical Languages Act.

Every multi-lane road should have a sign on both sides, while laneways should have them on at least one side. They should really be positioned on the first building and repeated at junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭markpb

If they design new signs now, you can be sure someone will complain until the Irish version of the street takes up 99% of the sigh and the English version takes up the rest. It's the law after all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In the 1920s, the new state rushed around changing the signs from English to Irish. Then they rushed around putting the original ones back because no-one knew where they were without them.

I think what we have is OK if there were enough of them - one at each junction on each side of the road. The style does not matter much.

USA does this road sign business very well indeed. They include the house numbers as well, just to be sure to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Is the postcode needed at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 almccabe88

I think it will take a while for this to happen, but a nice idea none the less! Considering the old N routes are no longer applicable inside the M50 now but still the old signage remain and only parts of Dublin have updated their signage. These routes came into existence in 2012 and 3 years later it is only partial.

I must agree is it really necessary? I kinda like the different signs, especially the really old ones with the old Irish characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Barney224 wrote: »
    The level of inconsistency in design on some of these is appalling.

Is it really?

I find the level of homelessness appalling, not inconsistent street furniture.

Besides old signs in old streets add to their character. Should we go and rebuild all the fronts of Georgian houses as the don't look the same as my flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

loyatemu wrote: »
    Is the postcode needed at all?
    I think so, especially as some names are reused in the city, e.g. there are 4 separate Liffey Streets - Upper, Lower, West and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Victor wrote: »
    I think so, especially as some names are reused in the city, e.g. there are 4 separate Liffey Streets - Upper, Lower, West and South.
    You might have a point if Upper/South/West/Lower
    wasn't clearly printed on the street signs on those streets....

I'd put the ward on the street signs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Barney224 wrote: »
    370499.jpg

I like it but could be expensive. I'd suggest the sign minus the dublin logo - just the names in english / irish and the postcode - with the picture removed the street name could be in a bigger font also?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The Irish and English lettering will have to be of equal font size to comply with the Official Languages Act requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

This should be extended everywhere where a street/road name sign is used including the eircode Routing code. eg: [West St | A92] for West St, Drogheda (with the as gailge included as @ present).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

larchill wrote: »
    This should be extended everywhere where a street/road name sign is used including the eircode Routing code. eg: [West St | A92] for West St, Drogheda (with the as gailge included as @ present).

the entire of Drogheda and quite a bit of the surrounding area is A92, what's the point in putting it on the street signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Indeed! This is where eircodes have lost out. It has been criticised for its 'random' nature, but the Routing code could do so much more. Its been lost with the large & even huge areas. At the very least, it should be at the level of the nearest town. For Louth, this would be Drogheda, Ardee, & Dundalk @ least. It could be more localised than this though - what a wasted opportunity & @ great expense!

Advertisement