Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Waste Removal

Options
  • 03-12-2015 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi,

We have a build up of about 20 bin bags full of domestic waste in the shed in our back garden.

Some of these bags have been there for nearly 4 months.

We urgently need to find a company who will come and physically take them away, as going anywhere near them without some kind of safety equipment would be dangerous at this stage.

Does anyone know of a company who will do this?

Many thanks,
    Hugo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

What are you doing letting that amount of waste build up on your property. Risk of attracting rats and other vermin must be huge. Not to mention the smell. Very irresponsible.
    Google skip hire and buy yourself some heavy gloves and overalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

That's not what I asked.

Our landlord did not provide us with any waste facilities.

We cannot get wheely bins or a skip because we live on a busy main road with parallel parking and we're surrounded by neighbours who will take any opportunity they have to fill our bins / skip with their own rubbish.

So again, I would be very grateful if someone could recommend the sort of company I am looking for.

Many thanks,
    Hugo

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ask the Environmental Health office at the council if they can recommend any one.

NB it's not your LL's responsibility to provide waste removal. You need to organise this with a company yourself. I understand your problem re neighbours not sure what solutions they have for this.

Fair play to you for finally stepping up and doing something about the problem - I'm assuming that your house matea have been ignoring it for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Ask the Environmental Health office at the council if they can recommend any one.

NB it's not your LL's responsibility to provide waste removal. You need to organise this with a company yourself. I understand your problem re neighbours not sure what solutions they have for this.

Fair play to you for finally stepping up and doing something about the problem - I'm assuming that your house matea have been ignoring it for months.

At the mention of "dangerous" you're limiting your possibilities for collection. It is really dangerous or is it usual household waste which has become somewhat disgusting?

Would you consider one of the skip bags? You organise for the truck to come collect from outside your house and fill the bag early before the truck arrives. You may have difficulties with them collecting from the roadside though?

TBH, seems a somewhat incredible situation. Well done (as said above), on taking responsibility now. Just hope your landlord doesn't become aware of the problem before you tidy it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's not what I asked.

Our landlord did not provide us with any waste facilities.

We cannot get wheely bins or a skip because we live on a busy main road with parallel parking and we're surrounded by neighbours who will take any opportunity they have to fill our bins / skip with their own rubbish.

So again, I would be very grateful if someone could recommend the sort of company I am looking for.

Many thanks,
    Hugo
    Yeah, you and a many thousands of people live in the same type of property you're supposed to buy branded bin bags/bin tags and leave them outside on collection day.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    Yeah, you and a many thousands of people live in the same type of property you're supposed to buy branded bin bags/bin tags and leave them outside on collection day.

Again, we weren't aware of those bin bags until about month after we moved in.

By then we already had a large build up.

A situation like this can easily and quickly become out of control.

We're actively trying to do something about it now, so I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from lecturing me.

If anyone else can suggest a company, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Hugo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Again, we weren't aware of those bin bags until about month after we moved in.

By then we already had a large build up.

A situation like this can easily and quickly become out of control.

We're actively trying to do something about it now, so I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from lecturing me.

If anyone else can suggest a company, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Shepherd Deafening Donkey
    Have a look in the Advertiser classifieds, i know there are lads who will come and empty sheds etc for a set fee, think ive seen it there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,594 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Anyone legally allowed to collect waste has to have a waste collection permit.
    The National Waste Collection Permit office has a register of collectors who collect in the different counties.

It's not hugely accessible to the lay person but if you go to the search section and if you want to search by EWC code, select 20 03 01; or a Quick Search if you use 'Garage Clearouts/Bulky Waste (Skip hire)' as the waste type and then select Galway City, you will get a list of waste collection companies in Galway City.

Not all of them will do one-off, ad hoc collections because it wouldn't make financial sense but small operators - a man with a van type of thing - will do it.

Look for the companies with an address in Galway. There should be something of use to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Your best bet is to buy City Bin bags. Phone City Bin to advise them that you will be leaving bags out at your address and they will be picked up in the morning. Some shops have deals if you but lots. I've seen then for €4.50 each, €12 for 3 or a roll of 10 for €35. Dress appropriately and you'll move 40 bags in 30 minutes. Have hot water and bleach ready to clean shed afterwards. And have the immersion on for a shower when you are finished.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for your replies!

Gave him a call there. He's going to do the whole job for us.

Thanks!

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Like mentioned above, look for credentials to make sure he's licensed to dispose of it safely. You're legally responsible for its safe disposal, so if its found dumped by the side of the road, YOU will be prosecuted.

Advertisement