Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

BrookieD wrote: »
    did a AIB international standard transfer of funds yesterday morning at 7:30 and was in Number26 4pm... brilliant

It happened the same from KBC to N26 and even at a later time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Elessar wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking that the only real downsides to this account are:

- No Cashback (I don't mind that really)
    - Some companies will not allow DDs from non Irish accounts
    - Some shops won't take the card(?)

I am seriously considering this, but one question: If you want to apply for a loan to an Irish bank, or you're buying a car or something and you're asked for 6 months bank statements, what do you do?

I could be wrong but I thought someone said they did cashback. Cash lodgements they definitely don't do here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Elessar wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking that the only real downsides to this account are:

- No Cashback (I don't mind that really)
    - Some companies will not allow DDs from non Irish accounts
    - Some shops won't take the card(?)

I am seriously considering this, but one question: If you want to apply for a loan to an Irish bank, or you're buying a car or something and you're asked for 6 months bank statements, what do you do?

There is a post which list experiences about Direct Debit from Non Irish accounts:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057540573

As to some shops not taking the card, you can always complain to Mastercard and number26 about that.

However there are also some other negative points:

It's not a bank, so in case of major issues you need to deal with Wirecardbank (like the stamp duty debacle)
    Their customer service was/is overwhelmed and not really competent to address any non scripted issues.
    They do not provide bank references (for example for Amex or landlords)

Positive Points are

No foreign exchange fee (unlike other cards 1.75% to 2.75%)
    No ATM withdraw fee from them even outside the EU/EFTA
    Instant Notifications about activity (good for fraud protection)
    Quick payment cycle to/from other accounts

Overall you need to decide if this fits your purpose or if you are not better of with alternative providers for all or part of your activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

I could be wrong but I thought someone said they did cashback. Cash lodgements they definitely don't do here.
    There is a post which list experiences about Direct Debit from Non Irish accounts:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057540573

As to some shops not taking the card, you can always complain to Mastercard and number26 about that.

However there are also some other negative points:

It's not a bank, so in case of major issues you need to deal with Wirecardbank (like the stamp duty debacle)
    Their customer service was/is overwhelmed and not really competent to address any non scripted issues.

Positive Points are

No foreign exchange fee (unlike other cards 1.75% to 2.75%)
    No ATM withdraw fee from them even outside the EU/EFTA
    Instant Notifications about activity (good for fraud protection)
    Quick payment cycle to/from other accounts

Overall you need to decide if this fits your purpose or if you are not better of with alternative providers for all or part of your activity.

Thanks. For cash lodgements I can just use PTSB where I have a savings account. For bank references I assume I could use them too? And if they do monthly statements well I think I'll take the plunge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Wirecardbank is part of Wirecard AG, the group has less than 2000 employees and 5B market cap. Couldn't find their credit rating but their debt to equity ratio is 3.98% so they can probably borrow quickly and inject liquidity if needed.

soirish wrote: »
    Wirecardbank is part of Wirecard AG, the group has less than 2000 employees and 5B market cap. Couldn't find their credit rating but their debt to equity ratio is 3.98% so they can probably borrow quickly and inject liquidity if needed.

That was not the point, number26 is not a bank, just like uber is not a transport company, they are a technology company.

If you look at your Terms & Conditions you see that 99% are with Wirecard and not number26.

So in case of the stamp duty, the ball only got rolling (and that fast) after Wirecard got involved.

It's a negative point because it has created issues.

Guess we've covered the stamp duty stuff. N26 not being a bank is worth highlighting so people better understand where their money is. Revolut operates through Barclays.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

I got cashback Friday evening, I think it's now an option.

gawker wrote: »

So it looks like the card is now identified as a Debit Card

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

pasquale83 wrote: »
    So it looks like the card is now identified as a Debit Card

Working as a top up card on Revolut for me now too.

Quackster wrote: »

How did you get around the MasterCard Secure Code requirement for debit card top-ups with Revolt?

Or did Revolut simply accept the card without prompting you about Mastercard Secure Code?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ceroc81

Quackster wrote: »

iOS or Android? As soon as I type the first 6 digits 5173 37 in the bin it gives an error that it's classified as a credit card.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Android. When I typed in the first few digits, a message in small red text did appear saying that credit cards aren't accepted but it accepted it anyway. It didn't load a MasterCard SecureCode page, just applied the topup straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

just got my card so a little over a week to arrive - not too bad. will pair into Revolut and see what happens

Hmm ok, so I tried this trick 2 weeks ago and didn't work as the server rejected top-up with some error code (managed to get through the application check so I could click the submit button)
    Now I tried this same thing again, even though I got a warning stating that the card seems to be USD currency I proceeded and boom it worked, so it looks like the server side is considering it as a debit card now and process it correctly, the app itself still thinks it's a USD, credit card and still blocks you from initiating the transfer.

I won't publish the trick just yet because I think they will solve this inconsistency in the next app release. And if not it seems to be an exploit that might be illegal to post on this forum(?)

so is the issue adding a n26 card to revolut or topping up after its added?

The problem I was having was to actual add the card to Revolut (the app would refuse to submit a credit card = disabled submit button).
    I'm assuming now that the card has been proceeded once it will work every time (as Revolut keeps the card information for the next time)

When I said top-up I meant the initial top-up so that means also adding the card information as this is is done at the same time.

Edit: Just tried to see if it would work to do a second top-up with the stored card information but as soon as I open the "Top-up by Card" the red error is there saying it's a credit card :(
    Guess I'll have to use the same trick every time I need to top-up, slight inconvenience until its fixed in the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

gawker wrote: »

- Anybody else manage to get Cashback?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Anybody else manage to get Cashback?

I've done it twice more since. Seems to be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

Anyone know if we can get a 2nd card/Maestro card like the German's can?

Lumina wrote: »
    Anyone know if we can get a 2nd card/Maestro card like the German's can?

Not at this time, the maestro card is Germany/Austria only.

And giving that in Ireland the acceptance of Mastercard and Maestro is the same there would not be a reason to introduce it. It is addressing a specific need in Germany where debit cards (Maestro etc.) is wider than credit cards (mastercard).

@Yggr of Asgard - any experience getting cashback with Number26? They should amend website if it's offically available.

Just used the card online to orders flowers from a UK vendor to deliver on the UK for my mum's birthday, worked a treat and before the page refreshed post payment i had the notification on the phone... sweet as a nut

Delta2113 wrote: »
    @Yggr of Asgard - any experience getting cashback with Number26? They should amend website if it's offically available.

I don't do cashback in a store I'm afraid, I don't use cash unless I can avoid it and than I go to a cash machine.

Got a pint and €100 cashback in my local pub yesterday no problem - before the barman handed me back my card and cash I got the notification - sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I just got cashback too. But as I understand it there's two ways cashback can be handled. One is when the cashback is added to the price of what you're buying, and the other is when it's put through by the cashier as a separate transaction. This one causes Number26 cards to fail.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    I just got cashback too. But as I understand it there's two ways cashback can be handled. One is when the cashback is added to the price of what you're buying, and the other is when it's put through by the cashier as a separate transaction. This one causes Number26 cards to fail.

I think the second case is the proper cashback. The first one is only a workaround.

Just got this email:
    The Irish Government requires banks in Ireland to collect certain duties, including duty on debit cards. Therefore, going forward your NUMBER26 MasterCard Debit Card will be charged with 5 Euros annually, including stamp tax duty on debit cards. This charge will be applied and automatically deducted from your account in January, always for the previous year. However, for the year 2015, no charges will be applied.

We appreciate your using NUMBER26 and hope you understand our need to comply with this mandatory government regulation.

Have questions about this newsletter? Simply contact our support at support@number26.de.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

The Irish Government requires banks in Ireland to collect certain duties, including duty on debit cards. Therefore, going forward your NUMBER26 MasterCard Debit Card will be charged with 5 Euros annually, including stamp tax duty on debit cards. This charge will be applied and automatically deducted from your account in January, always for the previous year. However, for the year 2015, no charges will be applied.

You got to be kidding me?

Advertisement