Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

As the rates should be the same you get with transferwise directly, why not try it that way or look at an alternative provider?

Thanks for replying Yggr.
    I don't know how to do that.
    It's over 20k and it won't send the money without updating to new account which needs new card number. It says transfer Wise is no longer available on old account.
    I have plane and ferry booked and 2 days booked off work to travel to England for a car that needs to be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Are the rates offered by Number26 black the same as revolut for international ATM and POS transactions? If I have the N26 Black card could I get rid of the Revolut?

Short Answer: No

Long Answer:
    Revolut used spot rates (during the week) and the rates apply on the date of authorization. On weekend they have a fixed rate, which sometimes is higher than the N26 rate. The rate you will get is visible in the App.

N26 makes different claims at different points about the rates they are using, depending on who you talk to. Sometimes they say they use the official Mastercard rate, sometimes they say they use FirstData, sometimes they say they use the spot rate at the time of booking or even Authorization. None of the rates are published anywhere to be controlled.

In my experience Revolut has better rates than N26, however depending on your currency and usage pattern you might get a different result.

Your best approach would be to do transactions over a week or two with both cards and see who is better, which by no means is a guarantee for the future, but might help you.

blade1 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying Yggr.
    I don't know how to do that.
    It's over 20k and it won't send the money without updating to new account which needs new card number. It says transfer Wise is no longer available on old account.
    I have plane and ferry booked and 2 days booked off work to travel to England for a car that needs to be paid.

Can you still do a SEPA transfer from your account to another IBAN?

If so, have a look at Transferwise or Currencyfair website. You will need to register there and than initiate a transfer. Than you will need to make a payment from your N26 account to their IBAN account. Once they get it, they will pay the receiver in £.

However if you don't have accounts with them, you will first need to do an identity verification and with that sum you might also hit proof of fund requirements. Plus depending on where the account of Transferwise / Currencyfair is located you might be required to report your payment to the German Central bank at the end of the month.

In addition even if you manage to initiate it tomorrow with N26, the money might not reach the receiver before Wednesday, depending on how quick N26 does process your payment (and if you still are with Wirecard it's not that fast).

I fear you are in a bad spot there, only other alternative is to transfer it to your Irish Account and get it in £ cash or bank draft at your local branch, but that is going to be one costly exercise.

Can you still do a SEPA transfer from your account to another IBAN?

If so, have a look at Transferwise or Currencyfair website. You will need to register there and than initiate a transfer. Than you will need to make a payment from your N26 account to their IBAN account. Once they get it, they will pay the receiver in £.

However if you don't have accounts with them, you will first need to do an identity verification and with that sum you might also hit proof of fund requirements. Plus depending on where the account of Transferwise / Currencyfair is located you might be required to report your payment to the German Central bank at the end of the month.

In addition even if you manage to initiate it tomorrow with N26, the money might not reach the receiver before Wednesday, depending on how quick N26 does process your payment (and if you still are with Wirecard it's not that fast).

I fear you are in a bad spot there, only other alternative is to transfer it to your Irish Account and get it in £ cash or bank draft at your local branch, but that is going to be one costly exercise.

Ok I didn't realise transfer Wise was a separate thing.
    I downloaded the app and registered and also done the passport verification.
    Guess what now?
    They want a utility bill and I don't have one!
    I wonder would an invoice I have with my address on it do?

Ok I didn't realise transfer Wise was a separate thing.
    I downloaded the app and registered and also done the passport verification.
    Guess what now?
    They want a utility bill and I don't have one!
    I wonder would an invoice I have with my address on it do?

Check here for a list:
    https://transferwise.com/help/article/1662916/verification/verify-your-address

Would a passport and driving licence do as both I.d. proof and address proof.

The only other thing I have is car insurance renewal.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

No, they won't do as proof of address as there's usually a requirement that it has to be last three or six months so what you provide as proof of address has to be dated.

Do you have any online bank statements or utility bills?

Actually, on reading that, they seem to accept driving licence as proof of address so that plus passport should do the trick.

Alternatively, motor tax or vehicle registration documents would also suffice.

Quackster wrote: »
    Actually, on reading that, they seem to accept driving licence as proof of address so that plus passport should do the trick.

Alternatively, motor tax or vehicle registration documents would also suffice.

Jesus, the last line of my driving licence is different to my passport!!!!!
    I live on the border so my address is Co.Cork even though I live in Waterford.
    That's fine usually but nearest tax office is Dungarvan so years ago before online motor tax, I had to use Waterford for tax and driving licence.

I have an bank e statement.
    Would a screen shot of that do?
    Car Registration?
    Just a shot of the reg cert(log book)?
    It's 6 years old nearly, would that do?
    Motor tax?
    Just have the disc on the windscreen.

• Advertisement

Ok, I have no idea how these clowns run a bank.
    Rang at 7am, waited 20minutes then someone in germany answered.
    So she gave me my new card number over the phone so i could finish updating my account.
    I asked will TransferWise work as soon as i have updated,she said yes.

So,finally ,I thought and tried a transfer wise on the n26 app but now its coming up "transfer wise blocked,forwarding disabled.

Back on the phone again and 45minute wait and yer wan answers and tells me I rang the wrong place and i said this is the only number available and its worked already.
    Puts me on hold,comes back and says sorry.
    She tells me i have to wait 2 or 3 hours before my money transfers to new account.
    I asked if the transfer wise will automatically go through or do i have to do it again.
    She said she didnt know and for me to just check later.

So now after everything I'm not confident about it going through today.
    If the dealer doesn't get it on Wednesday,its either cost of flights,ferry home and 2 days off work wasted or around €700extra to do it by bankdraft.
    I also had to take today off work to try and sort it.
    Nightmare!

Yeah, N26 customer support is really bad, their training must be horrible as several people give different answers. It's both in German and English, so it's down to the English speaking agents.

Sometimes even the same agent is giving different answers within minutes on their face book page. One Minute it's answer a and a second later its the complete opposite with answer b.

As to your challenge, you could export your N26 bank statement as PDF and than use that for validating your Transferwise account, just an idea.

I hope your new N26 account setup will be up and running very soon so that you can access your own funds and make a transfer.

Sometimes I'm really feeling bad for having started this thread in line with their bad customer service and their stamp duty rip-off.

Your knowledge has been a great help to me and plenty of others Yggr so you are a huge asset here.

My troubles were not exclusive to N26 though.
    I signed up with transfer Wise and used passport and driving licence as the 2 IDs they wanted.
    I was afraid to send the money because I didn't get confirmation that the documents would be accepted.

Now here's where the sh*t really hit the fan.
    I then sign up with currency fair.
    Went through my email and found a bank e statement so used that with my passport to register.

All going well, I then sent the money in sterling.
    Then I got a pop up saying only €1000 can be transferred until my account is verified.

So checked my Irish bank account and there is over 2k gone from it!
    What happened is there is a zero missing from it even though the amount sent is correct(pending though)
    So I had to ring them up (Australia) and cancel it.
    So I have to wait a few days for my 2k+ back.
    I can't believe it!!!
    I'm going back into bed!!!!:pac:

Can't help you with Currency Fair, too long that I have used them, I did not even know they are automatically deducting your bank account.

I hope it will work out for you.

Once TransferWise processes your payment, it should be in the receiving bank in a matter of hours so you still have sufficient time once they get their act together.

Once TransferWise processes your payment, it should be in the receiving bank in a matter of hours so you still have sufficient time once they get their act together.

I don't know for certain that my documents will be accepted.
    And just to add to my woes....
    I got verification of my account with Currency fair.
    Check to see could I do it that way and found the limit to transfering from my Irish bank is 10k.
    So I'm screwed that way anyway.

• Advertisement

Ok, update on this!
    Got onto transfer Wise and the lad there was brilliant.
    If I didn't the money would never have went through.
    He told they have paused transfer Wise to payees using N26.
    Said it could be the end of next month when they are back to normal.
    So he guided me through everything and I was able to transfer the money to them and then they'll transfer it to car dealers.
    He also verified my account while I was on the phone as I emailed him an e statement there and then.
    I actually left out a big laugh at the end in just pure relief.
    Phew!!!
    I was fairly stressed all weekend over it!!

Ok, update on this!
    Got onto transfer Wise and the lad there was brilliant.
    If I didn't the money would never have went through.
    He told they have paused transfer Wise to payees using N26.
    Said it could be the end of next month when they are back to normal.
    So he guided me through everything and I was able to transfer the money to them and then they'll transfer it to car dealers.
    He also verified my account while I was on the phone as I emailed him an e statement there and then.
    I actually left out a big laugh at the end in just pure relief.
    Phew!!!
    I was fairly stressed all weekend over it!!

Glad that it worked out for you, hope the new car is worth the hassle.

Also thanks for the info about Transferwise and N26 having a pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

Anyone else waiting for 3+ weeks for the new card to arrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

inel wrote: »

Yep, getting beyond a joke now as can't use transfer wise or moneybeam as per the above few posts.

The thing that gets to me is they stated our old cards and account would work as normal until the new cards were activated.
    If only I knew the truth beforehand, I could have have organised another method for my transfer.
    4 hours I gave on the phone in total mostly waiting and got all different and wrong info from the different people I spoke to.
    Absolutely clueless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

inel wrote: »

Yep been about the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Any know the turnaround for creating an account? Been a few days now, I assume it takes weeks rather than days at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Suddenly I'm interested in this account after seeing OPs post from last year. I'm trying to watch a particular tv show that's not available on Netflix in Europe, but is available on German Apple iTunes Store (one of the few Eurozone countries to be supported for Apple TV shows)

Is the card number given with the account a German number? Or is it Irish?

Dardania wrote: »
    Suddenly I'm interested in this account after seeing OPs post from last year. I'm trying to watch a particular tv show that's not available on Netflix in Europe, but is available on German Apple iTunes Store (one of the few Eurozone countries to be supported for Apple TV shows)

Irish for the old accounts, rumor is the new accounts are german, but unless someone is willing to provide the BIN (first 6 digits of the cards) that is hard to validate.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭prmcnamara

Irish for the old accounts, rumor is the new accounts are german, but unless someone is willing to provide the BIN (first 6 digits of the cards) that is hard to validate.
    I joined on Nov 19th. I haven't received my card but the bottom of my statement says that the first six digits of mine are "539590" which is apparently US. Might be a placeholder though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Would work great for me if so, and the mrs has cousins in Germany whose postal address I could use.
    The hassle one goes to to watch The West Wing!

Is there a particular format of the first 6 digits that identifies as German? I don't mind supplying those nums if when I get an account

I can't tell how the card is coded at this point, I checked the BIN against several databases and it seams that the same BIN is used for different countries they are active in with the actual country coded on the card.

It would take someone to read out the chip on the card for the Country code to be sure. So maybe someone with a new card and cardpeek could help you out.

In the meantime if you have a German contact, they can go into shops there and purchase you an iTunes gift card or a prepaid visa card which you than can use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how do you activate the new card? I press the "activate card" link in the app and it asks me to unpair my smartphone, then they send me an email with a link that kicks me out the browser where it tells me the link is invalid. :confused::confused:

EDIT: getting further now - it asks for my PIN and then the number on the card before telling me "user card public token number invalid"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Has anyone else seen a popup on their phone since activating the new N26 card?
    "Your card can only be used in a restricted way"
    I have used it in the ATM so all appears OK for me.

Anyone else can't use transferWise??
    Need to pay someone a large amount of money by Wednesday and can't?
    Really stuck here!
    The money arrived Yesterday after noon.
    Well impressed with TransferWise.
    N26 on this occasion were a big let down.
    Still handy though but seems the change over is one big mess.

• Advertisement

Wirecard just launched their new virtual mycard2go product (it used to be plastic only up to now) which gives you a virtual visa card which might be helpful for your specific problem.

http://www.mycard2go.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Well now, it seems that these crafty Krauts have tried to pull a fast one. I tried to upgrade on both the app and on computer over the past few days and nothing worked including sending emails to support. I attempted to open a new account using an existing email yesterday and was on their list already. I am now on the waiting list for a new account after I tried to log in and found that my account had been deleted already. Proof was confirmed for me as today I have been added to the backlog of new accounts.

We'll see how this pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

With regards to activating the card, what will I need to actually do? Card hasn't arrived yet for account I have opened, and I'm heading away for a few weeks on Monday, I think I need to activate before 20th to maintain free account. Do I just need number or CVV? I can get someone else to open it and read it to me, and then activate it while abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Got the new card. It's painless enough to transfer, if you're not a bit dopey in the morning like me.

It asks you to set up the new PIN for the card, then go through the steps to transfer over. Just before it transfers it asks for your Transaction Pin. I spent a few minutes putting my new PIN in and cursing them until I realised it needed my old cards PIN.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Got the new card. It's painless enough to transfer, if you're not a bit dopey in the morning like me.

It asks you to set up the new PIN for the card, then go through the steps to transfer over. Just before it transfers it asks for your Transaction Pin. I spent a few minutes putting my new PIN in and cursing them until I realised it needed my old cards PIN.

How long did it take for yours to arrive? I'm on day 25 now since order and still no card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

ahbell wrote: »
    How long did it take for yours to arrive? I'm on day 25 now since order and still no card.

According to my post in this thread it's been 25 days too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I actually got my card in less than 10 working days, activated it quickly enough.

Nice sleek interface on the app, happy enough with it.

Will be using it as my main bank in 2017 once I sort a few bits out.

Mine arrived this morning too. The card I got twelve months ago has an expiry of 12/18 but this new card has an expiry of 11/21! I really can't see it lasting five years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Mine arrived this morning too. The card I got twelve months ago has an expiry of 12/18 but this new card has an expiry of 11/21! I really can't see it lasting five years!

hahaha I know. I phoned Panda Power this morning to give them the new details for DD setup and the guy questioned the expiry date. Interestingly the BIC came back as invalid but Ive left it with them and they're going to try and set it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

They shouldn't need the Bic the IBAN contains enough to set up a DD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

On a recent trip to Spain, the N26 Black which had most of my money for trip, worked once, then no more for 5 days either with NFC or PIN, gas stations, restaurants, hotels. Luckily I had backup card. Then it worked once again before I left Spain.

Positive I had to transfer money out of N26, which I did in app at 15.00 hrs on Sunday and surprise , surprise :eek::eek: it was on my BOI current account the following morning. I emailed N26 about the problem and to date no answer.

Chapter 2; This morning bought a flight ticket on airline site, (funds in account) 2 hours later refusal email from airline. I get popup from app saying payment declined on my Lock Screen , BUT when I unlock phone screen there is no message Where do these messages from N26 app go ? Are they not anywhere on phone?

Apparently I'm locked into 12 month contract for N26 Black, despite sh1tty service and support.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

dohouch wrote: »
    Apparently I'm locked into 12 month contract for N26 Black, despite sh1tty service and support.

You have a 14 day cooling off period, so if it's not too long ago that you converted to black you can cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Mine arrived today, was starting to get worried for a second!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

New card still hasn't arrived. It has to be activated by 20 Dec or N26 will terminate the account.
    Reminder: you must activate your card by 20 December 2016 to continue using N26. Your entire in-app experience will remain the same.

Meanwhile they sent an email to suggest delivery will take longer :(
    Since we’re producing and sending so many cards at the moment, delivery of your card may take a bit longer than usual. But if you haven’t received your card yet, don’t worry: we’ve received your order, and your card will be shipped to you just as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

soirish wrote: »
    New card still hasn't arrived. It has to be activated by 20 Dec or N26 will terminate the account.

Meanwhile they sent an email to suggest delivery will take longer :(

Ordered my card on 10th Nov and still hasn't arrived. Have sent them a couple of messages on social media but haven't had a reply to any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Signed up on waiting list on November 24th, still waiting for activation ugghh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Now in 17 countries so I would expect support to be under even more pressure

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/06/n26-expands-its-bank-of-the-future-to-17-european-countries/

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

ahbell wrote: »
    Ordered my card on 10th Nov and still hasn't arrived. Have sent them a couple of messages on social media but haven't had a reply to any of them.

I finally received my card today, after waiting for almost..5 weeks (since 4th November)!
    So you can still hope it will arrive..

You should probably contact support via chat or phone, this is the only way to get some information as to when you card was actually sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The new cards seemingly need to be activated at an ATM before they can be used, N26 failed to mention that....

• Advertisement
Advertisement