Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

Anyone have the Irish phone number for N26? They are pretty useless at responding to emails that I sent a month ago detailing how I had lost my card and was then unable to replace it whie they were changing over, and changed phones, meaning I cannot unpair the old card. It's a pain in the arse.

If it weren't for the free ATM in UK and good exchange in the UK I would be leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Got an email about Stamp Duty.

I think it's hilarious telling us to refer to the Finance Act, when they haven't done it themselves...
    This is a heads up to let you know that we will collect a stamp duty tax of €5 from your account in the coming days.

All users from Ireland who used their Mastercard to withdraw cash in 2016 are subject to this tax. You only have to pay this tax once, even if you withdrew cash with both your old NUMBER26 and new N26 card.

Please ensure that you have sufficient funds in your account to cover this tax. You don’t need to take any action, and the amount will be debited from your account automatically.

For further information about the stamp duty tax please refer to our price list or section 123B and C Stamp Duties Consolidation Act 1999 (as amended by Section 62 Finance Act 2015).

Thanks for understanding.

Your N26 Team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Yes, it's up to €5. They're just taking the full €5 whether you've made enough withdrawals to reach it or not.

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Flagged it with their Support team (I only had one ATM transaction in Ireland last year, so 12c due), apparently I'll get a response by email

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/leaflets/stamp-duty-financial-cards.html

Spocker wrote: »
    Flagged it with their Support team (I only had one ATM transaction in Ireland last year, so 12c due), apparently I'll get a response by email

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/leaflets/stamp-duty-financial-cards.html

Good luck! Went through this last year when they announced it. It was €30 per year originally because they got confused between Credit and Debit cards. After a few people got in touch they eventually lowered it to €5 despite everyone still insisting it was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

yeah I've PM'd them on Facebook about it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

It is illegal to overpay tax to the Revenue. If N26 are planning to wire 5 EUR multiplied by the number of Irish users to the Revenue without counting the number of transactions then they are overpaying their tax liability.

If N26 won't address this issue, then perhaps one way to address this is to make a complaint directly to the Revenue highlighting that the Revenue are potentially collecting money that is not due to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

El Inho wrote: »
    yeah I've PM'd them on Facebook about it too

Can you let us know if they get back to you quickly?

I tried to contact them via the support form on their website almost 3 weeks ago (and got an email confirming my request had been received), but haven't heard back from them yet. I also just sent them a second request as after 3 weeks I still haven't received my payment card (the confirmation email said it would come within 2 weeks).

If they answer faster on Facebook I'll give that a try.

In any case that's shocking customer service for a bank and does not give a good first impression. If I have an issue with frandulent transactions, a card not working, being unable to log into my account or whatever else, I expect a bank to be much more reactive than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Bob24 wrote: »

I tried to contact them via the support form on their website almost 3 weeks ago (and got an email confirming my request had been received), but haven't heard back from them yet. I also just sent them a second request as after 3 weeks I still haven't received my payment card (the confirmation email said it would come within 2 weeks).

In any case that's shocking customer service for a bank and does not give a good first impression. If I have an issue with frandulent transactions, a card not working, being unable to log into my account or whatever else, I expect a bank to be much more reactive than this.

You can talk to them via a livechat option. It can take a while but still way faster than the unanswered facebook pm from a few weeks ago...
    Mine is zip code,password reset issue.

But the live chat option is available through forgot password, more support, then click on the phone number and an option to chat comes up!

• Advertisement

You can talk to them via a livechat option. It can take a while but still way faster than the unanswered facebook pm from a few weeks ago...
    Mine is zip code,password reset issue.

But the live chat option is available through forgot password, more support, then click on the phone number and an option to chat comes up!

Cheers, I somehow hadn't seen that option before. Will give it a try. I am in the queue and as you said it is pretty slow to progress, but if they can finally address my questions I am ok to keep the window waiting in the background! (although I am wondering what will happen if the 60 minutes auto log-out happens before I can get to talk to someone)

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Cheers, I somehow hadn't seen that option before. Will give it a try. I am in the queue and as you said it is pretty slow to progress, but if they can finally address my questions I am ok to keep the window waiting in the background! (although I am wondering what will happen if the 60 minutes auto log-out happens before I can get to talk to someone)

You can keep browsing, you get an audio notification when you're live in the chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hit refresh and the timer will reset, otherwise you get logged out and knocked out of the queue

jester77 wrote: »
    hit refresh and the timer will reset, otherwise you get logged out and knocked out of the queue

Just got to talk to them, thanks ... so yeah chat is better than email.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joe Hill

Has anyone had the stamp duty taken yet?

No

They replied to a comment on fb there today. Looks like they're up to date. I'd imagine they made a mistake sent the email and are fixing the issue.

Hey we charge the stamp duty tax once per year, max. 5 €, 12ct per ATM withdrawal in Ireland, after we charged you we will send a confirmation via email with the amount. Cheers, Dani from N26

They replied to a comment on fb there today. Looks like they're up to date. I'd imagine they made a mistake sent the email and are fixing the issue.

Hey we charge the stamp duty tax once per year, max. 5 €, 12ct per ATM withdrawal in Ireland, after we charged you we will send a confirmation via email with the amount. Cheers, Dani from N26

Cheers good to know their stamp duty policy is clarified.

The on-line support from and emails are fairly useless in my experience. I have used them a few times over the past month and never gotten an answer.

As mentioned by another poster, on-line chat seems to be the only working methods to get support in written - you have to wait for a while to get connected to someone but eventually you get there and they can address issues (I still haven't received my payment card after 4 weeks and they told me it probably got lost and they are sending a new one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I find their support really good actually. I sent them a message on Twitter last night around 9pm. They replied within 10 minutes. (I asked will they bring savings accounts to Ireland, they said yes, in the next few weeks)
    Today I needed to ask about a failed transfer, and I used the online chat around 10am. I was number 2 in the queue and it took less than 2 minutes before I got chatting.

fbradyirl wrote: »
    I find their support really good actually. I sent them a message on Twitter last night around 9pm. They replied within 10 minutes. (I asked will they bring savings accounts to Ireland, they said yes, in the next few weeks)
    Today I needed to ask about a failed transfer, and I used the online chat around 10am. I was number 2 in the queue and it took less than 2 minutes before I got chatting.

I agree with Twitter, they seem to be quick there.

That's interesting about the savings accounts. I hadn't heard of them being available elsewhere, just the Investment and Overdraft features.

bertie4evr wrote: »

I agree with Twitter, they seem to be quick there.

That's interesting about the savings accounts. I hadn't heard of them being available elsewhere, just the Investment and Overdraft features.
    Yes, I noticed on the N26 iOS widget that there's a 'Savings Account' balance, so that's what brought the question into my head.
    405483.PNG

Yes, I noticed on the N26 iOS widget that there's a 'Savings Account' balance, so that's what brought the question into my head.
    405483.PNG

Just saw it myself too. That's interesting, I wonder what kind of rates they'll offer.

This is an old page, but should be relevant to rates/details about savings/investments.
    We will offer 4 savings account plans, each of which present different level of risk. For all of them, users can access their money at any time. People can create multiple saving accounts. The 4 options are:
    1) A deposit account with a fix interest rate 
    2) A portfolio investment with 40% in stocks & shares 
    3) A portfolio investment with 60% in stocks & shares 
    4) A portfolio investment with 80% in stocks & shares

They will probably offer very low rates for basic saving accounts (as most banks in the Eurozone). But I'd say one of their selling points will be that the money is in Germany (i.e. covered by the German deposit guarantee scheme and unlikely to turn into a weak currency or become subject to capital control). Just this is a very interesting proposition for people living in Europe's weaker economies (it could be valid for Ireland, but even more so for other countries: most Greek people - who have already been subject to capital control and came very close to their euros turned into weak drachmas - would probably agree that a Germany based euro is better than a Greece based euro).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

You will be charged 5 euro even if you never used the atm function in Rep of Ireland. This is why I closed my account, as did others.

Are push notifications working for you?

I only get notifications for POS transactions at the moment, any money going into/out of my account via direct debit or standing order is not triggering notifications for me.

I only get notifications for POS transactions at the moment, any money going into/out of my account via direct debit or standing order is not triggering notifications for me.
    All working ok for me.

I still haven't received the card so can't talk about POS transactions ... but definitely working for me as far as incoming credit transfers are concerned.

hmm, must be something up with my account.

A number different service providers informed me earlier in the week that they had taken money from my account with the new IBAN but the no money had left my account until today. 3 different ones went out today but I got no notifications for any of them. Only noticed when I opened the app after a POS notification.

With the old IBAN they went out on the same day I got informed and I got a push notification instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

You were lucky with the online chat. I was number 1 and 2 for a chat. I eventually got talking to them over an hour later... and im still not any the wiser. yet.

You were lucky with the online chat. I was number 1 and 2 for a chat. I eventually got talking to them over an hour later... and im still not any the wiser. yet.

Yes I don't think you can read too much into the position in the queue they give you.

This morning I was number 5 in the queue to start with and 2 days ago I was number 24, and in both cases the wait was about 40-50 minutes. Progress definitely seems slower when you get close to the top of the queue.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    You will be charged 5 euro even if you never used the atm function in Rep of Ireland. This is why I closed my account, as did others.

Check out El Inho's post, they're charging it the correct way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I intend to read back a fair bit of this thread but in the meantime would generally people rate their experience as positive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

ED E wrote: »
    I intend to read back a fair bit of this thread but in the meantime would generally people rate their experience as positive?
    I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

When you closed your account were you charged the stamp duty?

ED E wrote: »

Yes. I use them as my only current account and find the app and overall service great.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

josephsoap wrote: »

Stamp duty only applies to accounts active on the last day of the year. If you close your account during the year, you don't have to pay stamp duty on any ATM usage.

Quackster wrote: »
    Stamp duty only applies to accounts active on the last day of the year. If you close your account during the year, you don't have to pay stamp duty on any ATM usage.

Number 26 does not operate the atm Irish stamp duty like the Irish banks. It just takes €5 and gives revenue it's cut and keeps the remaining balance.

josephsoap wrote: »

- No as I did not accept N26 new terms and conditions they could not charge me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Actually the 5€ was when N26 was provided by Wirecard bank, and it was than called an annual fee which included any stamp duty due.

When that was written into the Terms some people closed their accounts and because they had not agreed to the new fee and by closing the account they were not charged any stamp duty, N26/Wirecard will still have to pay the appropriate amounts to Revenue for any transaction but has no recourse against those users.

When people moved their accounts to N26 provided by N26 Bank that 5€ fee disappeared and was than finally replaced with a 2.90€ monthly fee for the card (unless you signed up during their ever changing promotion period with the latest going on until 1 February 2017).

On those accounts Stamp Duty is due according to your usage as Revenue does not care where the card is issued, you are liable if your billing address on the account linked to the card is in the Republic.

Now in theory if you were a N26/Wirecard customer you could be charged 5€ for the period until you moved to N26/N26 (most likely November) and than 12 cents for any ATM withdraw you have done since than as N26/N26 customer.

So if their support on Facebook using the handle Dani claims that you will only be charged the 12 cents up to 2.50/5.00€ than they are right, that is the case if you are a N26/N26 customer.

It remains to be seen how N26 is going to deal with those customer who were N26/Wirecard customers and agreed to the 5€ fee and have moved to N26/N26. 

Those might either see the 5€ fee (which includes any applicable stamp duty) or 12 cents per ATM withdraw in the republic (up to 2.50/5.00) for the whole year or 12 cents per withdraw since the move to N26/N26 or a mixture.

I think in a couple of days when they start doing the actual charge and people report what they actually got charged we will see a pattern emerge but until than it's all speculation because I don't think even N26 does know.

Also in theory, an argument could be made that because your account moved from N26/Wirecard to N26/N26 and you got a new card from a new bank (N26 rather than Wirecard), that your card with N26 that had the 5€ fee attached was not open on 31 December 2016 and hence there is no stamp duty liable on that account. So they could charge you the 5€ you agreed to but no 12 cents per withdraw for the N26/Wirecard period, only for the N26/N26 period.

So it's wait an see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Received my new card before Christmas and today I tried to withdraw money from an ATM but it kept telling me incorrect pin, I reset it through the app and same thing again. Anyone have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Zinidine Kilbane

@Retweet: I had this issue too. You need activate your card before using it. Log in to your app and open settings then click on 'Cards'. Once you are there swipe the card that appears to the left and you see an option to activate. Follow the instructions on screen then you should get an email when finished. After that, you should be able to use it like normal. Hope this helps!

Number 26 does not operate the atm Irish stamp duty like the Irish banks. It just takes €5 and gives revenue it's cut and keeps the remaining balance.

Not true as far as I know. They recently confirmed to me on social that they would be charging stamp like the other irish banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Sigh... Anyone any idea what happens to transactions on the old card that are later refunded? Didn't get any notification/balance change after dipping my old card in the POS when returning a faulty product but the POS indicated that it was successful. Do I have to contact Wirecard now to get the money?

Is anyone using the Apple Watch app to check the account balance and latest transactions?

It worked a few days for me but now it doesn't refresh anymore and just shows a spinning wheel with the N26 logo as if it was not able to launch.

Is anyone using the Apple Watch app to check the account balance and latest transactions?

It worked a few days for me but now it doesn't refresh anymore and just shows a spinning wheel with the N26 logo as if it was not able to launch.

To answer my own question: restarting the phone seemed to solve the issue. It seems like the watch app is relying on the phone app and communication can break-down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Does anyone know how long roughly, a refund on to my old card will take to appear on my new one?
    I returned an item to Amazon.de on the 2nd of January, it only arrived today :( and i have been told that they have refunded the money back on to my Number26 card.
    I have switched over to my new card since i purchased the item in late November, and i am now on N26 card.

Does anyone have an issue with the account balance displayed on the statistics section of the website? Mine has been showing a 0 balance since opening the account whereas there has been money on it for a bit over a month:

Screen_Shot_2017_01_18_at_20_13_42.png

The credit and debit charts are working fine however and are showing activity ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does anyone have an issue with the account balance displayed on the statistics section of the website? Mine has been showing a 0 balance since opening the account whereas there has been money on it for a bit over a month:

The credit and debit charts are working fine however and are showing activity ...

The balance doesn't seem to be working properly and the debit/credits charts work kinda

Advertisement