Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

15MrC wrote: »
    Also bear in mind that it seems you can't lodge cheques with N26.

They still exist :confused: Haven't seen one in at least 15 years. Don't think any bank in Germany would even know what to do with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

jester77 wrote: »
    They still exist :confused: Haven't seen one in at least 15 years. Don't think any bank in Germany would even know what to do with one.

Last​ time I was sent a cheque, I complained and had them send out a bank transfer. I kept the cheque as a souvenir.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kennek1

Hi guys...

I'm in a bit of bother.. ...my N26 card would not work for me to take out cash in China? It worked yesterday to pay for a hotel.

Can some explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

Kennek1 wrote: »
    Hi guys...

I'm in a bit of bother.. ...my N26 card would not work for me to take out cash in China? It worked yesterday to pay for a hotel.

Can some explain?

It should work if you have 'ATM withdrawals' enabled in the app settings.

Have you enabled 'ATM withdrawals' and 'Payments abroad'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Hi guys...

Can some explain?

I've traveled to China (with other bank cards cards) quite a bit over the years and it possibly isn't an issue with N26.

First of all I assume you checked wether the logos are present but some ATM from smaller banks don't accept Visa and/or MasterCard in China (they will only accept UnionPay which is their Chinese equivalent).

Then I don't know if it is due to the Chinese or Western banks but some ATMs will apply ridiculously low withdrawal limits for foreign card transactions, especially with debit card (I've had ATMs decline transactions if I asked for more than 100 or 200 RMB with my Bank of Ireland and PTSB visa debit cards).

And lastly some ATMs will work with some foreign banks but not with others for no clear reason (verified while traveling with family members with Visa card from various banks, and only some of them working in the same ATM).

So in short: if you haven't already done so try other ATMs and possibly to withdraw smaller amounts (your best bets are the large national banks such as ICBC or Bank of China).

If it doesn't work somewhere for the amount you want to withdrawn you can try to get 100 RMB. You probably want more cash than that but at least you will know what is blocking you is that very low limit. You should eventually find a bank which is willing to let you withdraw more (usually the maximum you can withdraw when it works correctly is between 1000 and 3000 RMB).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Hi guys...

Can some explain?
    Hi Guys

Please help me out. I am in China at the moment and need to take cash out from my revoult card. It won't late me. I already took €200 out last week but what I thought is I can take more out but I would just be charged 2% extra.

Can someone explain?

The fact its happening to both cards would probably mean its an ATM fault. Have you tried different ATMS (from different Banks) and smaller amounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭15MrC

McGaggs wrote: »
    Last​ time I was sent a cheque, I complained and had them send out a bank transfer. I kept the cheque as a souvenir.

One example off the top of my head that I can think of is RedC Live surveys, they pay in cheques only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Payment denied in the Mater hospital in Cork today.
    Tried to pay for laser eye treatment my mother had.
    It worked last October up there for a much larger amount.
    It's made me lose faith in it a bit, not knowing if it will be accepted or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

blade1 wrote: »
    Payment denied in the Mater hospital in Cork today.
    Tried to pay for laser eye treatment my mother had.
    It worked last October up there for a much larger amount.
    It's made me lose faith in it a bit, not knowing if it will be accepted or not.

Was that a large transaction? Checked your limit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I tried to use an ATM in Northern Ireland yesterday. The ATM said it wasnt supported on the LINK network. Thats the generic network that most banks use in the UK. I even tried 2 different Revolut cards and they didnt work either. I tried at two different shops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Ok.....

So I had 0 money in my N26 account because I intended to but wasn't possible to put my wages in the account

So a subscription service had my info and were able to bill me the €10 a few times and leave me in the red with N26

They (N26) never once contacted me at all about this until a lovely letter from a German solicitor arrived on my doorstep, seem to be demanding €210 asap. All of it was written in German (no english)

First of all, there was no money in the account, why did they pay a subscription service the money? Subscription was using my card details. I never asked or requested any overdraft

It was only about €50 from what I can see about 5 monthly subscriptions

Where are those lads going with the €210? Probably some admin charges. Honestly they can swing for it considering they paid out when the account was empty and not once made contact with me to rectify it. Straight to solicitors. I wasn't using the account so wasn't keeping an eye on it

Lastly, no Hablo el German

Anyway, enough ranting. Question is, is there an automatic overdraft? Because I did not ask for one. Really pissed at them for escalating it and charging me for it. Could have been sorted ages ago if they told me that I owed them €50. Nobody getting anything now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"Instant overdraft for new customers up to 1000?"

If the app was running on your phone the default OD notification is 0.00 so it would have alerted you. Kinda the point of having an account with a disruptor bank.

Why did you set up a subscription on the account if you knew there was no money on it? If n26 wasn't​ paying it for you, then you would be getting letters from the subscription​ company instead.

ED E wrote: »

If the app was running on your phone the default OD notification is 0.00 so it would have alerted you. Kinda the point of having an account with a disruptor bank.

I saw that, 100% certain I did not request overdraft and that link it's an application for one. Got a new phone a while back and don't have the app installed because wasn't using the account. Literally 1 company had the card number.

• Advertisement

Why did you set up a subscription on the account if you knew there was no money on it? If n26 wasn't​ paying it for you, then you would be getting letters from the subscription​ company instead.

I put some money in and like I said, was intending to start using it until payroll killed it last minute

Clause 11
    IMG_1487.jpg

Anyway, enough ranting. Question is, is there an automatic overdraft? Because I did not ask for one. Really pissed at them for escalating it and charging me for it. Could have been sorted ages ago if they told me that I owed them €50. Nobody getting anything now
    ED E wrote: »

Overdrafts are only supported for customers based in Germany and need to be applied for rather than being setup automatically: https://support.n26.com/read/000001261?locale=en

If what GhostyMcGhost described is accurate, it is rather strange that the account could have gone into negative balance.

GhostyMcGhost, have you installed the app on your new phone (or logged into the website) to check the transaction history on the account and your PDF statements? What does it show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

GhostyMcGhost, was this subscription charge via the mastercard or direct debit?

Plus was this while the account was with Wirecard or with N36 Bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

I went into overdraft after they charged me a foreign ATM usage fee (1.7%) - Ii thought they were fee-free. Have stopped using N26 as my banking app, as although I love the design I've heard too many horror stories regarding customer service. I'm with PTSB, and they are far from perfect, but if ever there is an issue I can easily reach them. I thought N26 would sort out their customer service but it seems not, unfortunately. Also, I still can't use the card at times, such as Bus Eireann.

I hope banks learn from their app and keep improving what's available to Irish consumers, but if there's going to be a Europe-wide banking app that really takes off, it's not going to be from Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

gawker wrote: »
    I hope banks learn from their app and keep improving what's available to Irish consumers, but if there's going to be a Europe-wide banking app that really takes off, it's not going to be from Germany.

Bunq from the Netherlands is an excellent Europe-wide banking app, the only disadvantage is that they only offer a maestro card, not a visa/mastercard.

Otherwise they are really good, even if it's a 12€ a year fee if you get the maestro card plus ATM charges (free account if you don't get the maestro card).

Quick transfers, quick customer service and nice app.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101816421

Savings accounts are launching tomorrow, will be interesting to see what they are offering. Sounds like they are initially launching only a fixed deposit account, with more types coming later.

Savings accounts are launching tomorrow, will be interesting to see what they are offering. Sounds like they are initially launching only a fixed deposit account, with more types coming later.

I would be quite interested. Did you see an announcement from them? (can't see anything on the website)

You know if it is inly for Germany or also available in other countries?

Bob24 wrote: »
    I would be quite interested. Did you see an announcement from them? (can't see anything on the website)

You know if it is inly for Germany or also available in other countries?

Nothing official from them yet, just saw an article in the Frankfurt Allgemeine Doesn't mention countries, just that it is a fixed deposit account, and in partnership with another Fintech.
    faz.net wrote:
    Und nun k?nnen die Kunden von N26 von Mittwoch an ihre Einlagen auch in Festgeld investieren. Im Laufe des Jahres soll dann auch noch ein Tagesgeld-Modell folgen. Obwohl sich N26 selbst als Fintech bezeichnen w?rde, entwickelt sie diese Modelle nicht selbst, sondern in Kooperation mit anderen Fintechs. Das Unternehmen beschr?nkt sich mit dem Banking-Gesch?ft also auf das, was es nach eigener Aussage am besten kann.

Interesting ... so they seem to see themselves as just a current account and hub for partnerships with other fintechs, not a full-fledged bank (I get the idea, but not sure I like it as if the number of partners increases it could become unclear who is accountable for various parts of your deposits and how reliable those entities are).

Based on the description the partner could be Raisin. Let's see tomorrow :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Germany only for the time being.

Product description here: https://n26.com/savings/

It indeed looks like it is provided by Raisin (WeltSparen).

I'm starting to be annoyed with all services besides the current account being Germany only I have to say (I realise N26 is a German company, but if they want to attract and retain customers from other markets, they can't keep just providing core basic services to them).

I know they are still new, but that lack of additional services for us in Ireland plus the fact that the app hasn't evolved for months including to fix basic bug and usability problems doesn't make they look good for what is supposed to be a disruptive company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

Absolute joke it's Germany only again. And if it's provided by Raisin you can forget about it coming here anytime soon. Raisin were barred by the central bank from operating here.

Elessar wrote: »
    Absolute joke it's Germany only again. And if it's provided by Raisin you can forget about it coming here anytime soon. Raisin were barred by the central bank from operating here.

It might be different if it is resold through N26 since they have a proper banking licence (I really dont' know, just throwing in the idea).

And I have to say N26's communication style is not very respectful of their customers either. I had posted a question on their blog post related to the new Savigns product politely asking whether they have a rough time-frame for availability in other countries, and rather than answering it they just deleted my post.

I noticed them doing this before on their blog or Facebook page before, it seems like they prefer to suppress questions when they don't feel like answering them (which I understand if aggressive customers are repetitively asking unreasonable questions ... but find it disrespectful when it is a customer politely asking for a new product availability - especially that in that case I am sure others would have liked to see that answered as a comment to the blog posts).

• Advertisement

The app just got updated. There is now a savings and investment tab visible, and while N26 Invest is greyed out N26 Savings isn't but does give a message saying it is not available in your country when you click on it. Hopefully not hidign the tab for customers aoutside Germany any-more and not greying out the Savigns option is a sign that they have more immediate plan to bring it to other markets that N26 Invest.

2k up to 100k, 12 months - 60 months.

Inbank in Estonia, Grenke in Germany and FirstSave in the UK are the only banks I see in the list.

0,81%-0,86% seems to be the rates for 12 months, depending on deposit size
    1,48% with Inbank looks the best for 60 months

Possibly explains the lack of availability outside Germany, all these banks or only for Raisin customers based in Germany. We'll probably have t wait until some of the banks which have deals with Raisin to collect deposits outside of Germany agree for their deposits to be collected through N26: https://www.raisin.com/bank/

I'd be quite interested if BN Bank joins in as I wouldn't mind diversifying my savings in different currencies and this doesn't seem like a bad we to do it as long as you accept the other currency might drop v.s. the euro causing you to lose money when the deposit gets converted back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I am just after purchasing something on Amazon for GBP £38.29.
    Amazon exchange rate valued it at EUR €47.32
    I paid in GBP as was my preference using N26, which according to xe.com is €45.61.

I was charged €47.32. I checked back on Amazon, and the invoice says:
    Grand Total: GBP 38.29
    Payment Grand Total: EUR 47,32 **
    It seems that Amazon decided to charge me in euro anyway. I went back in and turned off amazon currency converter.
    It is a new one to me, but may not be new, i never had to turn off the currency converter before, and never have been charged in euro when i chose GBP.

I just thought it odd that the exchange rate was as high as Amazons, when usually N26 is equal or better than xe.com

Yep, that is what i thought, and i am 100%  that i made sure i chose GBP. (I even checked again just now).
    Weird. I never had to choose GBP and also turn off Amazon Currency Converter before.

Unless they have changed it, Paypal also makes it very unobvious to avoid their conversion service. They all must be making sweet money with this (usually even your average retail Irish bank will end-up being cheaper than these online currency conversion services).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Suckit wrote: »
    Yep, that is what i thought, and i am 100%  that i made sure i chose GBP. (I even checked again just now).
    Weird. I never had to choose GBP and also turn off Amazon Currency Converter before.

Amazon customer service is generally fantastic, might be worth getting on livechat with them and seeing what they can do.

• Advertisement

Looks like instant access savings accounts are also on the way: https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/10/n26-launches-saving-accounts-with-raisin/

"if you don’t want to have your money stuck on a savings account, N26 will launch overnight savings later this year."

I got in contact with amazon, they were not of any help in this instance.
    They tried to tell me that my bank charged me, and offered to 'release my money'. :/ ?
    So i then contacted N26, who told me (confirmed) that Amazon had charged me in euro.
    They said that they do not know what the code is for that i was given, and that they had not authorised the payment before it was cancelled.
    Amazon had cancelled the order, but not the payment, so now i have to wait up to 10 days for the payment to expire, and i may end up losing money when it is converted back fro euro to sterling to euro via amazon.
    I am not sure whether to laugh or cry, as i did not even want to cancel. :D:'(
    Now i have to wait for the money to come back before i can reorder. Amazon told me that they have not charged me and the bank has my money and i have to wait 7 - 10 days.

Suckit wrote: »
    I got in contact with amazon, they were not of any help in this instance.
    They tried to tell me that my bank charged me, and offered to 'release my money'. :/ ?
    So i then contacted N26, who told me (confirmed) that Amazon had charged me in euro.
    They said that they do not know what the code is for that i was given, and that they had not authorised the payment before it was cancelled.
    Amazon had cancelled the order, but not the payment, so now i have to wait up to 10 days for the payment to expire, and i may end up losing money when it is converted back fro euro to sterling to euro via amazon.
    I am not sure whether to laugh or cry, as i did not even want to cancel. :D:'(
    Now i have to wait for the money to come back before i can reorder. Amazon told me that they have not charged me and the bank has my money and i have to wait 7 - 10 days.
    This really belongs on an Amazon thread because it has nothing to do with N26. Lesson learned anyway, you'll know the next time a Vendor offers a "convenient" currency conversion, they are quite sneaky with this.

Amazon possibly just placed a hold for the order in euros to be released when the order ships and you get charged in pounds. If it is the case you won't be charged anything for conversion.

That's one annoying think with N26: you can't clearly tell the difference between a hold and an actual charge.

One hint though: of nothing has shown up for this transaction on your PDF statement 2-3 working days after the date shown on the app, you will probably never get charged (the PDF statements only show clear transactions while the app will show pending transactions and holds with no clear way to tell the difference between these)

Yeah it is something to watch out for, for sure.
    I thought that once i made sure i chose GBP the cash would be exchanged by N26.
    Pesky amazon hiding ways to charge. I will be watching more things like that in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting to see N26 launch deposit products today, real shame that Irish customers are excluded.

I hold out some hope that the products will eventually be available in Ireland. N26 are regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland (CBI) for conduct purposes. Raisin are not regulated by the CBI in any capacity which has caused the regulatory issue which has caused their products to not be available here. Perhaps Raisin will find a way into Ireland via N26.

Answer I got for N26 for available of savings outside Germany is that it would be available in other countries within this year.

Still pretty vague but at least in means they intend to launch it in the short to medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

Folks, I am going to London for the weekend and want to use the contactless card for paying public transports: https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/

Has anyone experience of using the debit mastercard for that purpose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

pasquale83 wrote: »
    Folks, I am going to London for the weekend and want to use the contactless card for paying public transports: https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/

Has anyone experience of using the debit mastercard for that purpose?

Yes, works fine for me.

Same here worked no problem on the tube.

• Advertisement
Advertisement