Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Bob24 wrote: »
    And it is free regardless of the amount you send?
    If yes, fairplay to TransferWise for implementing this is and not charging for it.
    I wish but TW have had small fees for a while, there was a 0.63c charge for sending €135.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Got an email earlier from transfer wise about their own card.

Can someone tell me how this stacks up against having my N26 account?

Or it's pros and cons???
    https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless/card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

blade1 wrote: »
    Got an email earlier from transfer wise about their own card.

Can someone tell me how this stacks up against having my N26 account?

Or it's pros and cons???
    https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless/card

The TransferWise one might be more of a Revolut than an N26 competitor.

It looks like to be the main benefit of the TransferWise one vs N26 is that you can hold money in many currencies and pay directly in those currencies with no conversion. That could be usefull if you have holdings / regular income / regular spendings in specific currencies.

But as a payment card for the average person who gets paid in euros and sometimes makes card payments in other currencies, It might not be that useful.

The benefit of N26 is the fact that it is a licensed bank (if I am not mistaken TransferWise isn’t).

The TransferWise one might be more of a Revolut than an N26 competitor.

It looks like to be the main benefit of the TransferWise one vs N26 is that you can hold money in many currencies and pay directly in those currencies with no conversion. That could be usefull if you have holdings / regular income / regular spendings in specific currencies.

But as a payment card for the average person who gets paid in euros and sometimes makes card payments in other currencies, It might not be that useful.

The benefit of N26 is the fact that it is a licensed bank (if I am not mistaken TransferWise isn’t).

Are transferwise still behind N26 when dealing with cross border payments?

One time I was buying a car in UK for over 20 grand and N26 messed it up.
    No help from N26 so I rang transferwise directly ( think it was Estonia) and they said "don't worry we'll sort it straight away".
    Felt very assured by the guy on the phone compared to N26 CS.
    Also they did sort it out swiftly.

Are transferwise still behind N26 when dealing with cross border payments?

One time I was buying a car in UK for over 20 grand and N26 messed it up.
    No help from N26 so I rang transferwise directly ( think it was Estonia) and they said "don't worry we'll sort it straight away".
    Felt very assured by the guy on the phone compared to N26 CS.
    Also they did sort it out swiftly.

Eurozone transfers are managed directly by N26 as SEPA transfers. Other transfers are indeed routed to TransferWise.

I believe N26 simply hands the funds and your details to TransferWise from and from that stage everything is managed by TransferWise under your name. So as I understand it, N26 users effectively also become TransferWise customers when they issue non EZ fund transfers.

My experience with TransferWise customer support has been limited; but my anecdotal one matches yours: they were better than the experience I have had with N26.

Eurozone transfers and managed directly by N26 as SEPA transfers. Other transfers are indeed routed to TransferWise.

I believe N26 simply hands the funds and your details to TransferWise from your account and from that stage everything is managed by TransferWise under your name. So as I understand it, N26 users effectively also become TransferWise customers when they issue non EZ fund transfers.

My experience with TransferWise customer support has been limited; but my anecdotal matches yours: they were better than the experience I have had with N26.

So me having N26 and Irish banks would have no benefit ordering a transferwise card?

Also I'm always onto my friend who travels to the UK a bit with me, to get some sort of a card for traveling.
    He still goes down town to get his sterling for traveling.
    So this card or a revolut would do him I assume?

Just my opinion, but unless there is either something you prefer about the quality of service of TransferWise or you want to hold cash in different currencies to pay with it, I don’t think the card would bring anything additional to you. Not saying it is useless in general though - it is always good to have options, and for someone who is looking for an advanced multi-currency holding/transfer/payment solution or who already is and TransferWise user and doesn’t have such card yet it can certainly make sense.

And yes Revolut or TransferWise cards seem like a good option for your friend. Or if they want to avoid fees but want to be debited for sterling payments directly om their existing bank account, a Curve card could be interesting. Instead if having a separate pot of cash you need to top-up like with Revolut, Curve simply does the conversion on the fly at a cheap rate and forwards the charge to your “legacy” bank card but in euros. Only thing with Curve is that they start changing (small) fees if you spend beyond a few hundred euros per month (just checked their website and the limit is 500 GBP per month - beyond that they start charging something, but still much less than any Irish bank).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

See N26 pulling out of the UK due to brexit.

https://twitter.com/N26UK/status/1227234613623480321

I’d say Brexit is a bit of an excuse for other factors (maybe they are facing tougher competition in the UK).

They only launched about a year ago, i.e. it wasn’t exactly hard to know at that stage that the UK would be leaving the EU soon. Blaming Brexit a year later for closing their UK business seems a bit disingenuous, unless they are saying they overlooked the fact that Brexit was coming which would be a pretty strong sign of incompetence :-)

the fact that Brexit was coming

It wasn't a fact then though.

• Advertisement

It wasn't a fact then though.

We are taking about late 2018, not about 2015.

I.e. the referendum was voted, article 50 was triggered, and departure negotiations were bumpy but in progress ... you’d have had to be pretty blind not to see Brexit coming a year ago :-s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

We are taking about late 2018, not about 2015.

I.e. the referendum was voted, article 50 was triggered, and departure negotiations were bumpy but in progress ... you’d have had to be pretty blind not to see Brexit coming a year ago :-s

If they started operating in 2018, they were probably planning for it for 2-3 years before that. Between 2016 and 2018, most people would have expected that a trade agreement of some sort would be signed and passporting of financial services in both directions would definitely be part of that. Even now, it's hard to imagine the impact on London if there isn't some agreement on that.

markpb wrote: »
    If they started operating in 2018, they were probably planning for it for 2-3 years before that. Between 2016 and 2018, most people would have expected that a trade agreement of some sort would be signed and passporting of financial services in both directions would definitely be part of that. Even now, it's hard to imagine the impact on London if there isn't some agreement on that.

If we are saying they made a decision to launch in late 2018 based on some assumption that Brexit would not impact their regulatory environment and they now have to lose the investment they made to enter the UK market because of that incorrect assumption and the lack of a backup plan, I would call that incompetence and poor risk management.

But as I said I personally don’t think this is what happened for a few reasons:
    - I don’t think they are that incompetent
    - Operating in non-EU markets seems to be something they are Ok with (see their US launch)
    - If as you said the decision to launch was based on an assumption that some deal would be signed between the EU and the UK related to financial passporting, why closing the business now just one year after launching? (and while they can still do passporting until the end of this year during which the agreement they are betting on could be signed)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, the UK is probably amongst the most competitive of fintech environments and N26 was quite late to the party. It's not hard to imagine they haven't made much traction and they don't see sufficient reason to continue to invest resources there that could be better deployed elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/11/german-digital-bank-n26-pulls-out-of-uk-blaming-brexit

German digital bank N26 pulls out of UK, blaming Brexit

The German digital bank N26 is has blamed Brexit for its decision to pull out of the UK and close more than 200,000 customer accounts.
    .....The move comes less than 18 months after the Berlin-based firm launched in the UK. It had about a dozen employees in the UK, with the rest of the business run remotely from the German capital.
    ...The timings and framework outlined in the EU withdrawal agreement mean that the company will in due course be unable to operate in the UK with its European banking licence.” As recently as October, N26 was publishing blogposts assuring customers that it would continue in the UK after Brexit. Those posts have since been deleted.
    The bank – which has 5 million customers in the EU – was relying on passporting rights that allowed it to use its German licence to operate in the UK. It originally planned to take advantage of the British regulator’s temporary permissions regime to continue operating in the country after Brexit. Those rules allow EU financial services firms to continue operating after the transition period ending on 31 December 2020, giving them three years to apply for a formal licence.
    However, the Guardian understands the company changed its mind as it believed the costs were starting to outweigh the benefits of staying in the UK market....

https://sifted.eu/articles/n26-brexit-uk/

Suckit wrote: »

Yes, I think this piece is a reasonable analysis of what is happening.

The fact that as recently as last October they were saying Brexit wouldn’t impact UK operations and that they are now citing it as the main reason for pulling the plug is quite telling ...

And btw I think if they want to keep growing and survive in some of their key markets N26 really need to up their game.

I am following the French market a bit, and in response to the likes of N26 and Revolut several pre-existing online banks owned by large legacy banks have launched similar offers with free banking and interbank exchange rates (some of them even offer gold and platinum bank cards for free if you lodge a minimum amount each month, which beats N26), and they also have nice apps. What they offer that N26 doesn’t: saving accounts, reasonably cheap access to the stock market from the apps, local and international investment products, loans, mortgages, etc. To be honest if I was in the market for an online bank in France N26 would now be close to the bottom of my list - they are not offering anything better than the local competition (their 2 selling points were free/cheap fees and a better app, and they are gone as the competition caught-up), and their product range is much more limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

Has anyone noticed their salary getting paid in later?

7.30, 8.30, 10.30 weird.

Does anyone know anything about N26’s customer data privacy standards? Do they sell it? Revolut do.

I’m looking at Bunq, they seem to have good privacy standards but are 8 quid per month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

And btw I think if they want to keep growing and survive in some of their key markets N26 really need to up their game.

I am following the French market a bit, and in response to the likes of N26 and Revolut several pre-existing online banks owned by large legacy banks have launched similar offers with free banking and interbank exchange rates (some of them even offer gold and platinum bank cards for free if you lodge a minimum amount each month, which beats N26), and they also have nice apps. What they offer that N26 doesn’t: saving accounts, reasonably cheap access to the stock market from the apps, local and international investment products, loans, mortgages, etc. To be honest if I was in the market for an online bank in France N26 would now be close to the bottom of my list - they are not offering anything better than the local competition (their 2 selling points were free/cheap fees and a better app, and they are gone as the competition caught-up), and their product range is much more limited.

Difference is here, the legacy banks either don't have the infrastructure or are too lazy to set up parelle 'online only with new generation benefits' channels.

• Advertisement

Difference is here, the legacy banks either don't have the infrastructure or are too lazy to set up parelle 'online only with new generation benefits' channels.

Yes I agree, N26 will likely remain an attractive option for some time here.

But from N26’s perspective Ireland won’t give them much growth (too small a market) and they need penetration in larger markets such as France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc. I am not familiar with all of these markets, but I suspect what I described for France isn’t an isolated case.

And actually here I think KBC already has an hybrid model with limited branches and pushing for most interactions to happen remotely in exchange for free banking and better interest rate under some conditions. They are nowhere near what I described but they could be a candidate.

Elysium1 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed their salary getting paid in later?

7.30, 8.30, 10.30 weird.

Does anyone know anything about N26’s customer data privacy standards? Do they sell it? Revolut do.

I’m looking at Bunq, they seem to have good privacy standards but are 8 quid per month.

On lunch now and no pay. My job says they paid and gave info., payslip etc. I’m following-up with N26. That’s really done it. I’ve never had to chase up a bank for my money in my life. Im also supposed to be stocking up for remaining at home because of the Coronavirus. F this for a game of marbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nellyJ

Same here. Never got paid today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

On lunch now and no pay. My job says they paid and gave info., payslip etc. I’m following-up with N26. That’s really done it. I’ve never had to chase up a bank for my money in my life. Im also supposed to be stocking up for remaining at home because of the Coronavirus. F this for a game of marbles.

Payslips for most employees are generated days before payment and it makes no difference if the employer says they have paid, it's up to the bank they use to divvy up the money to others accounts, N26 is the last stop in the chain and the delay more than likely happened further up the chain.

I'm not quite as fluent in the whole chain so that wouldn't be quite so that wouldn't be as clear-cut to me, but in any case, I had suspicions as seen from earlier posts I put on here, in my last contract where I got paid weekly, the pay was coming in later and later.

Yesterday just nothing. More than likely N26. So I asked them and they asked for lots of payment details. By 3pm I hadn't hear back from the accounts of my last job (just switched) so I called them, and they said plainly and patiently, that all was good and paid on their side, and only people with this bank were reporting not being paid. At just after 4pm beep beep I got my pay and tax rebate which was also due.

If they were honest about it, I would have said one bad day in a few months isn't too bad, I'll wait it out. But getting fobbed off... and told about timelines for SEPA ...

I've 2 new other digital bank cards in the post as we speak.

Hope this helps others who might be wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

I'm not quite as fluent in the whole chain so that wouldn't be quite so that wouldn't be as clear-cut to me, but in any case, I had suspicions as seen from earlier posts I put on here, in my last contract where I got paid weekly, the pay was coming in later and later.

Yesterday just nothing. More than likely N26. So I asked them and they asked for lots of payment details. By 3pm I hadn't hear back from the accounts of my last job (just switched) so I called them, and they said plainly and patiently, that all was good and paid on their side, and only people with this bank were reporting not being paid. At just after 4pm beep beep I got my pay and tax rebate which was also due.

If they were honest about it, I would have said one bad day in a few months isn't too bad, I'll wait it out. But getting fobbed off... and told about timelines for SEPA ...

I've 2 new other digital bank cards in the post as we speak.

Hope this helps others who might be wondering.

This is more than likely the Irish sending banks issue. N26 are connected to EBA Clearing's STEP2 payment clearing infrastructure that operates numerous clearing cycles (times during the day when they send bulk payments from bank to bank). N26 are mandated by law that once they receive the payment file from STEP2 they have to credit it to their customers accounts.

More than likely in this case the Irish bank delayed sending the file to STEP2. So rather than blaming N26 I would ask what bank your company is dealing with and why this bank is delaying sending certain payment files to the STEP2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

On a different note, with the latest app update (android 3.41.1), you can now add money with debit card or Google Pay (similar to Revolut).

This feature is in Beta currently and you are allowed to only try it once, as they mention. Hopefully they will make it fully available soon? This is a nice to have addition.

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

inel wrote: »
    On a different note, with the latest app update (android 3.41.1), you can now add money with debit card or Google Pay (similar to Revolut).

This feature is in Beta currently and you are allowed to only try it once, as they mention. Hopefully they will make it fully available soon? This is a nice to have addition.

Just tried it there, min is €20, max is €150

user1842 wrote: »
    This is more than likely the Irish sending banks issue. N26 are connected to EBA Clearing's STEP2 payment clearing infrastructure that operates numerous clearing cycles (times during the day when they send bulk payments from bank to bank). N26 are mandated by law that once they receive the payment file from STEP2 they have to credit it to their customers accounts.

More than likely in this case the Irish bank delayed sending the file to STEP2. So rather than blaming N26 I would ask what bank your company is dealing with and why this bank is delaying sending certain payment files to the STEP2.

I've had bank accounts 3 with Irish major banks, 2 in the UK, 3 in Canada and I've never seen anything like it. There are various facts suggesting bad customer service and you've commented on none of them. I don't know why you're defending them. :confused: Do you own shares?

I post here to share and learn experiences as a consumer. My experience of N26 of the last 2 months has been getting progressively worse. I hope this helps any other users interested in what it's like to use them.

I'll unsub now as I'm migrating away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

I've had bank accounts 3 with Irish major banks, 2 in the UK, 3 in Canada and I've never seen anything like it. There are various facts suggesting bad customer service and you've commented on none of them. I don't know why you're defending them. :confused: Do you own shares?

I post here to share and learn experiences as a consumer. My experience of N26 of the last 2 months has been getting progressively worse. I hope this helps any other users interested in what it's like to use them.

I'll unsub now as I'm migrating away from them.

Im not defending them, im explaining how the euro area payment system works. If as you say this was a N26 problem then they would have breached the law (PSD2 is the EU directive). Please thus make a official complaint to the the supervisor of N26 and they can investigate: https://www.bafin.de/EN/Homepage/homepage_node.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Will driver licence do for ID?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Will driver licence do for ID?

Thanks

Nope, must be passport IIRC

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

N26 update of terms

At N26, transparency and simplicity is at the core of everything we do, and we believe that you should never be caught by surprise when it comes to your money.

That’s why we’re getting in touch—to update you on how our fees and services are changing on May 24, 2020. We’ve made changes to better reflect the costs of certain features so they remain clear and simple, and are only applicable to the customers who use them. These updates improve our products, while also encouraging an increasingly digital mindset. For more information, check out our blog post(new tab).

You won’t notice much of a difference, but here’s a brief summary:

Metal customers will now benefit from 8 free ATM withdrawals per month.

N26 You customers will continue to enjoy 5 free ATM withdrawals per month.

Customers with a standard N26 account, and who don’t use it as their primary account, will have 3 free ATM withdrawals per month.Those who use this account as their primary account will continue to have 5 free withdrawals, and can always access our CASH26 network of 14,550 European retailers.

To be more environmentally-conscious, we’ve revised our card replacement fees to encourage customers to only order them when needed. Replacing an N26 Standard, N26 Business, N26 You or N26 Business You card will now cost €10, or €30 with express delivery. Metal card replacement remains unchanged.

What does this mean for you?

If N26 is your primary account, you can still enjoy 5 free ATM withdrawals per month. As a reminder, this means that you get your salary paid directly into your N26 account, or you receive at least one payment of €1,000 or more for at least 2 consecutive months.

Want even more flexibility? Check out one of our premium plans for more ATM withdrawals, travel insurance, hand-picked partner offers, and many other exciting benefits.

You can review the full breakdown of our revised services and fees in the attachment below.

If you’re happy with these new terms, that’s great—you don’t have to do anything or take any further action.

However, if you don’t want to accept them, we’ll sadly be unable to still offer you an N26 account. Please let us know if you decide to reject the new changes via email before 24.05.2020 at terms@n26.com. We’ll then have to cancel your account—at no cost to you, of course. Bear in mind that your right to do this at any time without a notice period still remains the same.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to Customer Support via chat in the N26 app, or the web app.

Kind regards,

Your N26 Team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Might use an ATM 1 or 2 times a month so wont affect me.

Currently don't have my salary mandated to the N26 account but probably put more than a grand in most months anyway.

In a wider topic its hard to see how N26 and Revolute will be able to offer 100% free banking for ever - they have to be able to monetise it somehow, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Gumbo wrote: »
    To be more environmentally-conscious, we’ve revised our card replacement fees to encourage customers to only order them when needed. Replacing an N26 Standard, N26 Business, N26 You or N26 Business You card will now cost €10, or €30 with express delivery. Metal card replacement remains unchanged.

The price changes don't really impact me much given my usage pattern but this bit boils my pıss.

If you're going to raise the price of cards just do it.

Your customers are not so thick that they think debit cards are in any material way having an impact on the environment. Nobody thinks that the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is filled with debit cards ordered by eager N26 customers.

Fireball81 wrote: »
    In a wider topic its hard to see how N26 and Revolute will be able to offer 100% free banking for ever - they have to be able to monetise it somehow, time will tell.

They make a % of every purchase you make - that's how they monetise it. (+ the various premium consumer/business offerings)
    The question is whether they can make enough going that route.

Stuff like ATM withdraws is where it's pure cost to them, that's why they limit so much.

BillyBird wrote: »
    They make a % of every purchase you make - that's how they monetise it. (+ the various premium consumer/business offerings)
    The question is whether they can make enough going that route.

Stuff like ATM withdraws is where it's pure cost to them, that's why they limit so much.

I’d say they are also heavily monetising the data they have on spending patterns (possibly not at an individual level although it is possible and I haven’t carefully read the T&Cs, but certainly at an aggregate level).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

If I lost my card, I think I'd just close my account. €30 for a replacment is mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Wheety wrote: »
    If I lost my card, I think I'd just close my account. €30 for a replacment is mad.

It's €10 for normal delivery - and you can still use it online without a physical card even if you never replace the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

It's €10 for normal delivery - and you can still use it online without a physical card even if you never replace the card.

Exactly, €30 is for express delivery, €10 is as much as would possibly spend on a replacement card, especially since I only pay using Google Pay these days anyway, the card just sits in my wallet as a backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Ah, I missed that was express delivery.

Still, I've never paid for a replacment card before. But with no fees, I probably save more than €10 a year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

1huge1 wrote: »
    Exactly, €30 is for express delivery, €10 is as much as would possibly spend on a replacement card, especially since I only pay using Google Pay these days anyway, the card just sits in my wallet as a backup.

Likewise, and I've my Curve card in my wallet so my N26 card is buried in the bottom of a drawer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The price changes don't really impact me much given my usage pattern but this bit boils my pıss.

If you're going to raise the price of cards just do it.

Your customers are not so thick that they think debit cards are in any material way having an impact on the environment. Nobody thinks that the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is filled with debit cards ordered by eager N26 customers.
    I'm not so sure it doesn't have a substantial environmental impact. I would say many people lose their card or, they end up being damaged or, due to fraud have enough concerns that they probably get a new card once a year to replace an old one. Think about all the customers with bank accound and a debit/credit card. think about those with more than one account of these types. Those cards add up.

The sooner these cards are gone the better!

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure it doesn't have a substantial environmental impact. I would say many people lose their card or, they end up being damaged or, due to fraud have enough concerns that they probably get a new card once a year to replace an old one. Think about all the customers with bank accound and a debit/credit card. think about those with more than one account of these types. Those cards add up.

Even if I bought those numbers (I don't) it'd still be nothing in comparison to stuff like: milk jugs, non recyclable coffee cups, takeaway drink lids, water bottles, etc.

For example 7.7 billion plastic bottles are used in the UK each year. N26 has 3.5 million customers globally.

The environmental angle is nonsense to cover up a price increase. And it's not even that crazy a price increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Even if I bought those numbers (I don't) it'd still be nothing in compassion to stuff like: milk jugs, non recyclable coffee cups, takeaway drink lids, water bottles, etc.

For example 7.7 billion plastic bottles are used in the UK each year. N26 has 3.5 million customers globally.

The environmental angle is nonsense to cover up a price increase. And it's not even that crazy a price increase.
    Every little helps as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been answered before.

After nearly €500 in banking fees last year between AIB & UB, I'm about to order N26 You for myself.

I have a number of accounts between the two banks, Utilities, Mortgage, Holiday fund etc... The transfers between them is what's costing me the most money.

If I open up a You account, I get 10 "Spaces". Do these virtual accounts have a BIC & IBAN so I can move my direct debits/standing orders to them?

So say for example, my main account is UB. I transfer an amount weekly to my AIB mortgage holding account. This costs me to send the month & to receive it (every damn week). Can I have a You account, transfer my funds to my "Mortgage Space" & then PTSB comes once a month to take it from there?

This would cut my bank charges down to about a quarter of what they currently are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

OU812 wrote: »
    After nearly €500 in banking fees last year between AIB & UB, I'm about to order N26 You for myself.
    Yikes, you'd actually save money by getting a loan for the €3000 balance to qualify for free banking with UB over keeping that up.

Also why not transfer once a month instead of 4 times and pay a quarter of the fees?

Now to not be one of those people who only suggests alternatives to what you're asking and actually answer the question... With N26 you only get one account number and IBAN. You can however schedule recurring transfers from savings spaces to your main space in time for direct debits and things. You get 5 spaces with the free account, no need to spend €120 a year to get the 10 spaces. I have my own finances divided up into about 10 categories but just one account for the outgoings and a spreadsheet to keep track of the breakdown. Only pay €24 in banking fees for the year, and tbh could get that down to nothing if I was bothered.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Also why not transfer once a month instead of 4 times and pay a quarter of the fees?

Get paid weekly, easier to manage. Used to be grand until the charges came in, now seeing the first annual statement, its out of hand.

OK, if the spaces don't have a separate IBAN, than it's not as useful to me for regular DD/SO.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 random_88

OU812 wrote: »
    Get paid weekly, easier to manage. Used to be grand until the charges came in, now seeing the first annual statement, its out of hand.

OK, if the spaces don't have a separate IBAN, than it's not as useful to me for regular DD/SO.

Thanks

You should have a look at bunq instead. It more closely offers what you’re looking for with multiple BIC/IBANs for separate accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Option available now to use Google Pay (BETA) to top up your N26 account. You only get to use it once at the moment.

Accessible via N26 > Actions > Add Money > Google Pay

Didn't work from my TSB as the drop down for Verified by Visa wouldn't expand out but my TransferWise card did work.

• Advertisement

random_88 wrote: »
    You should have a look at bunq instead. It more closely offers what you’re looking for with multiple BIC/IBANs for separate accounts.

Are they covered by a banking guarantee like Irish banks or N26?

Advertisement