Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

OU812 wrote: »
    Are they covered by a banking guarantee like Irish banks or N26?

Yes, they are a full bank in the Netherlands which is covered by the Dutch bank guarantee.

However they are not free, it's 7.99 a month but it might be worth giving the functionality of the account. It depends on your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yes, they are a full bank in the Netherlands which is covered by the Dutch bank guarantee.

However they are not free, it's 7.99 a month but it might be worth giving the functionality of the account. It depends on your situation.

I have a bunq account, with 10 IBANs for free. I just don't have a card. If you could still get it, that setup might suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I'm sure this has been asked before but 192 pages is too much to go through...

I have a pain in my arse doing an international transfer from my AIB account to my n26 account via the card reader.

Why can't i just add it as a frequent payer to my account?

Bear in mind I've had a few glasses of wine here so might not be making sense....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You can't add it as a payee but after doing a one off payment you can click reuse on your payment history to avoid putting the details in again. But I got sick of doing that, and the card reader, and moved to kbc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

I'm sure this has been asked before but 192 pages is too much to go through...

I have a pain in my arse doing an international transfer from my AIB account to my n26 account via the card reader.

Why can't i just add it as a frequent payer to my account?

Bear in mind I've had a few glasses of wine here so might not be making sense....

I've started using my revolut account for this. I top up my Revolut account from my AIB account. I have my N26 account set up in Revolut as a payee and just transfer out from there.

I had considered moving from AIB because of it, but decided it was more hassle than it was worth. This workaround works well and depending on the time I do the transfer the funds will often be across same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

source wrote: »
    I've started using my revolut account for this. I top up my Revolut account from my AIB account. I have my N26 account set up in Revolut as a payee and just transfer out from there.

I had considered moving from AIB because of it, but decided it was more hassle than it was worth. This workaround works well and depending on the time I do the transfer the funds will often be across same day.

I've done this too, mostly due to the speed of the transfer, obviously topping up Revolut is instant, but the transfer to Revolut to N26 usually takes 2-3 hours (Mon-Fri), whereas by Bank of Ireland transfer to N26 wont be there until the next business day at the earliest.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Option available now to use Google Pay (BETA) to top up your N26 account. You only get to use it once at the moment.

Accessible via N26 > Actions > Add Money > Google Pay

Didn't work from my TSB as the drop down for Verified by Visa wouldn't expand out but my TransferWise card did work.

This is brilliant, puts it on a more equal footing with Revolut regarding instant top up. It is not just Google Pay either, there is also "Debit Card Transfer".

Similarly, it is in Beta so can only be used once for a value between €20 & €150.

I just did a transfer between a bunq account and an N26 account. As soon as I'd touched the fingerprint scanner to authorise the payment, I got a notification from N26 to say it was received. Very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

McGaggs wrote: »
    I just did a transfer between a bunq account and an N26 account. As soon as I'd touched the fingerprint scanner to authorise the payment, I got a notification from N26 to say it was received. Very impressive.

Welcome to the World of instant SEPA transfers. The only problem is, that none of the irish banks do it.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Marlow wrote: »
    Welcome to the World of instant SEPA transfers. The only problem is, that none of the irish banks do it.

/M

When it works, it's a right job.

Shame none of the Irish banks have caught up on it

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    Shame none of the Irish banks have caught up on it

Irish Banks are not known to be progressive. That's why banks like N26 exist.

Irish Bank means: no Google Pay, no Instant SEPA, charging for currency exchanges, charging account fees, etc and generaly slow to sort anything.

Even the virtual VISA feature, that AIB used to have 15 years ago doesn't seem to exist anymore.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Even the virtual VISA feature, that AIB used to have 15 years ago doesn't seem to exist anymore.

/M

Transactonline ,yeah that was great .
    AIB axed it ,as it was costing them money to licence it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I love n26 but the only thing that sticks in my throat is that you still cant view a list of active direct debits

I love n26 but the only thing that sticks in my throat is that you still cant view a list of active direct debits

I find having to enter a full password each time to access the app is a bit annoying too.
    It should be a PIN like other apps.
    Maybe I am doing it wrong ?

Zardoz wrote: »
    I find having to enter a full password each time to access the app is a bit annoying too.

You can enable fingerprint scanning.

/M

You can enable fingerprint scanning.

/M

Nice one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You can mate! In Home, tap the menu icon (3 lines) and choose Standing Orders.

https://support.n26.com/en-gb/payments-transfers-and-withdrawals/direct-debits-and-standing-orders/how-to-set-up-a-standing-order

Zardoz wrote: »

Why not set it to use your Fingerprint? I find this very responsive

Edit: I'm slow of the mark today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

That lists standing orders not direct debits

That lists standing orders not direct debits
    Interesting, it showed my test one I did last week for me (planning to move fully over to N26 so did a trial run). You running the last version of the app?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Interesting, it showed my test one I did last week for me.

Another way to do it is to go to Home / transactions > tap a recent direct debit payment > tap "View Mandate Details" > tap "View all Direct Debits"

Is that on Android App/iPhone App/online app?

Is that on Android App/iPhone App/online app?
    I never checked online but it's Android app I use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Just double checked and I don’t have such option on the iPhone app. To my knowledge it is not possible to see active direct debits with it.

Might be Android only but I’m not sure why they would do that :-s

I've just setup my eFlow with my N26 with it too, I'll report back when it charges me with some screens mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

I've just setup my eFlow with my N26 with it too, I'll report back when it charges me with some screens mate!

I don't think there is an overview direct debit page. I just checked a few of my direct debits.

This feature would be useful and in reality they should add it but it is not a deal breaker as you can initiate a refund of any direct debit automatically (a lot better than many Irish Banks).

As per law:

The payer must have the right to instruct its PSP (Bank):
    - to limit a direct debit collection to a certain amount or periodicity or both.
    - to block any direct debits to the payer’s payment account or to block any direct debits initiated by one or more specified payees or to authorise direct debits only initiated by one or more specified payees (black and white listing).

I assume they provide the above when you contact them in chat :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just have to say I'm delighted with N26!

I was on to their chat support looking for some extra details on a transaction at 6pm the other night and the girl couldn't have been nicer. Got it all sorted within a few mins. At 6pm. On a Friday. Turns out their support is open 7am to 11pm EVERY day including Sundays and Bank Holidays. No waiting til Monday. No holding on the line. No queues. What bricks and mortar bank offers you that?

I've been with them since they opened up here (2015 was it?) and have been using them as my main bank since. Absolutely brilliant IMO. Can't fault them (well, if there was a way to lodge cash/cheques I'd ditch my Irish bank altogether!). And all with no fees. One of the best financial decisions I've made tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Elessar wrote: »

I was on to their chat support looking for some extra details on a transaction at 6pm the other night and the girl couldn't have been nicer. Got it all sorted within a few mins. At 6pm. On a Friday. Turns out their support is open 7am to 11pm EVERY day including Sundays and Bank Holidays. No waiting til Monday. No holding on the line. No queues. What bricks and mortar bank offers you that?

I've been with them since they opened up here (2015 was it?) and have been using them as my main bank since. Absolutely brilliant IMO. Can't fault them (well, if there was a way to lodge cash/cheques I'd ditch my Irish bank altogether!). And all with no fees. One of the best financial decisions I've made tbh.

If you have an irish credit card, you can lodge cheques to that if and when you get them (just a suggestion if you want to get rid of your legacy bank fully).

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If you have an irish credit card, you can lodge cheques to that if and when you get them (just a suggestion if you want to get rid of your legacy bank fully).

Or else open a free account with EBS or your local credit union, lodge to that, and then transfer the funds across to N26.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Amouar

How can we lodge a cheque with credit card companies like Avant?

• Advertisement

Amouar wrote: »
    How can we lodge a cheque with credit card companies like Avant?

Sorry I meant a credit card with a bank with branches.

Years ago when Advent was MBNA, you could lodge cheques at an AIB branch but that may no longer be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

Elessar wrote: »

Nothing but nothing beats face to face with another human being. Sexond is a telephone call.

Palmach wrote: »
    Nothing but nothing beats face to face with another human being. Sexond is a telephone call.

Only problem is you are paying for face to face with bad service and bad technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

Only problem is you are paying for face to face with bad service and bad technology.

I don't care about the technology if I am face to face. I have had issues with online financial institutions and almost always its poor. The service in my local BOI is excellent. Alm problems sorted pronto no tooing and froing with abloody chat app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

N26 now have the Google Pay top up option live on their accounts but....

3% charged on every top up. Eh...no thanks. Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

I use Revolut to add funds to N26, usually takes a few hours. At present, no charge.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »

Yikes, thats a hefty charge,

As the poster above correctly points out, using revolut to circumvent this is a good option (albeit not instant, still relatively fast).

Edit: Just seen that Debit Card top up is also an option on the app, but having trouble trying to find the charge on it, is it 3% as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

adox wrote: »

What's the point of this service anyway?

A SEPA transfer is there in 2-3 hours (a few seconds if you do SEPA instant), plus if you are super stuck, the overdraft will sort you out for those few hours anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

jester77 wrote: »

A SEPA transfer is there in 2-3 hours (a few seconds if you do SEPA instant), plus if you are super stuck, the overdraft will sort you out for those few hours anyway.
    I'm guessing to compete with Revolut. Besides it's much simpler than bank transfers for lots of people. I know several people who have taken to Revolut because of the ease of sending and receiving money, they never realised you could do this before, though we've had the ability for years through online banking.

Next working day is the fastest I can get money into N26, I much prefer Revolut in general so have made that my main account for day to day banking but the lack of instant top up on N26 was one of the first things that put me off it.

I even tried to do my one free instant top up on N26 as I had a reason I wanted to use it, wouldn’t accept top up from a prepaid card (Revolut) and as I needed the top up instantly it was no good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

To top up instantly. A bank transfer takes a few hours for me or even next day. I’d started using N26 for Google Pay on my phone. Funds running low.

I’m switching back to Revolut for Google Pay. Much more convenient to have instant top ups. It’s just so much handier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

Hopefully, starting from June 1st most Revolut customers will benefit from SEPA instant transfers (incoming/outgoing), as mentioned on the revolut thread, so the money transfers to N26 accounts should almost be instant, given that N26 offers SEPA instant incoming transfers.

So, you would be able use it to fund your account quickly by card, instead of the disappointingly 'expensive' debit card top up offered by the N26 app.

inel wrote: »
    Hopefully, starting from June 1st most Revolut customers will benefit from SEPA instant transfers (incoming/outgoing), as mentioned on the revolut thread, so the money transfers to N26 accounts should almost be instant, given that N26 offers SEPA instant incoming transfers.

So, you would be able use it to fund your account quickly by card, instead of the disappointingly 'expensive' debit card top up offered by the N26 app.

Do any Irish banks have sepa instant set up? So far the only sepa instant transaction I've had was from bunq to N26 at the start of April.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Do any Irish banks have sepa instant set up? So far the only sepa instant transaction I've had was from bunq to N26 at the start of April.

None of the retail banks participate.

Barclays offers it to commercial customers and PFS Card Services Ireland
    Limited offers it to some of their white label prepaid card customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath for SEPA instant with retail Irish banks ... it is 2020 and BOI are still trying to update their IT systems to support Apple/Android Pay while their customers have been asking/complaining about the lack of support for years (I feel for their support staff on social media who keep having to provide vague answers and changing their stories).

Once SEPA instant eventually makes it to Irish banks, I'd bet on either KBC or AIB doing it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

lads ive got an email from N26 to add my tax id , wtf is my tax id in ireland ?

edit: wait im assuming its my PPS number :P

dashoonage wrote: »
    lads ive got an email from N26 to add my tax id , wtf is my tax id in ireland ?

edit: wait im assuming its my PPS number :P

Yes it's your PPS...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Did anyone have any trouble putting money from their Revolut into n26 the first time?

Got n26 card today and have tried both debit card transfer and Apple Pay methods to add money and both have had problems with it. Was on to 2 agents from n26 and all they could say was to uninstall app and use phone data. Still not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

I've found it can take a few hours if done in the morning but may be overnight if in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

Made a transfer from Revolut to N26 today, it was approved on the Revolut's side within seconds and credited to N26 immediately, got the notification instantly. Haven't seen this happening this fast before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just go an email that they are closing down their insurance product from Sept. 11. That sucks, was nice having them in the app.

• Advertisement
Advertisement