Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

I've being using my account for around 2 weeks now, and enjoying it. So far, a summary would be:

Pros:
    -signup procedure was great, from application to card in post box within 5 days
    -the app (I use Android) is really enjoyable to use, which is odd to say for a banking app. It's very well designed, and easily accessible. My PTSB app required me to input three codes each time I wanted to log in. Number26 is so much more user friendly.
    -the way the app categorises you spend and breaks it up nicely ina pie chart is a great feature, although it makes me feel guily about the amount of food and drinks spend on my account :)
    -no foreign exchange charges! I went to Sweden with my OH for new year and this saved me a nice sum of cash over that week
    -real-time notifications - I thought these might be annoying, but it's weirdly nice to get live notifications of your spend.

Cons:
    -No cash-back - I'm happy to use my card all the time, but some businesses aren't unfortunately. As such, I need to make sure to have €50 in the wallet in case of emergency
    -It's a credit card, not a debit card. In effect, it's a debit card as you can't go into credit, but systems pick the card up as a credit card so as well as no cashback, some places will set a higher minimum charge and some online stores might charge a little more for using a CC
    -Cash deposits - they're impossible to do. I'm selling a bike and would love to put that cash into my account, but will have to do so via my PTSB account. Bit of a pain.

Overall the experience has been very good so far. I know Number26 are going to keep improving too, so am patient about any of the current downsides. I'm going to keep my pay and bills etc. in my PTSB account, and transfer my "spending money" across to my Number26 account monthly and use this card on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I am looking to get a new bank account myself as I am fed up with all the bank charges with BOI who I have been with since I opened my first ever bank account.

I love the idea of the notifications you get for spending as this is something I was trying to look up on the BOI site to see if the supported it as I thought it was a no brainer and a great feature to know what has just come out of your bank account or even better what has just gone in :-)

Has anybody on here move their full bank account over including wages and all debits/standing orders?? How are you finding it?

And do you know if they support joint bank accounts??

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ceroc81

neonman wrote: »
    I am looking to get a new bank account myself as I am fed up with all the bank charges with BOI who I have been with since I opened my first ever bank account.

I love the idea of the notifications you get for spending as this is something I was trying to look up on the BOI site to see if the supported it as I thought it was a no brainer and a great feature to know what has just come out of your bank account or even better what has just gone in :-)

Has anybody on here move their full bank account over including wages and all debits/standing orders?? How are you finding it?

And do you know if they support joint bank accounts??

Thanks in advance

I'm using Number26 as my main bank and haven't had any problems with the card, or the instant notification. Haven't had to use their support yet so will see how that goes when it happens.

Direct Debit is going to be a bit of a struggle depending which companies your are currently using, see this thread for some info http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057540573

Joint accounts is currently not supported - https://number26.eu/support/can-open-shared-account-number26/

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I'll probably go ahead and get an account with them and then keep an eye on the DD side of things and as more come on board then switch them over along with my wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

gawker wrote: »
    I've being using my account for around 2 weeks now, and enjoying it. So far, a summary would be:

Pros:
    -signup procedure was great, from application to card in post box within 5 days
    -the app (I use Android) is really enjoyable to use, which is odd to say for a banking app. It's very well designed, and easily accessible. My PTSB app required me to input three codes each time I wanted to log in. Number26 is so much more user friendly.
    -the way the app categorises you spend and breaks it up nicely ina pie chart is a great feature, although it makes me feel guily about the amount of food and drinks spend on my account :)
    -no foreign exchange charges! I went to Sweden with my OH for new year and this saved me a nice sum of cash over that week
    -real-time notifications - I thought these might be annoying, but it's weirdly nice to get live notifications of your spend.

Cons:
    -No cash-back - I'm happy to use my card all the time, but some businesses aren't unfortunately. As such, I need to make sure to have €50 in the wallet in case of emergency
    -It's a credit card, not a debit card. In effect, it's a debit card as you can't go into credit, but systems pick the card up as a credit card so as well as no cashback, some places will set a higher minimum charge and some online stores might charge a little more for using a CC
    -Cash deposits - they're impossible to do. I'm selling a bike and would love to put that cash into my account, but will have to do so via my PTSB account. Bit of a pain.

Overall the experience has been very good so far. I know Number26 are going to keep improving too, so am patient about any of the current downsides. I'm going to keep my pay and bills etc. in my PTSB account, and transfer my "spending money" across to my Number26 account monthly and use this card on a daily basis.

I was a bit worried about it being essentially a credit card, as I fly a lot with Ryanair and didnt want to end up having to pay the extra few euro every time to use a credit card, but glad to report I used it today to book a flight, selected the Mastercard Debit option and wasn't charged any extra.

Only problem I'm having is my company payroll still use account number and sort code so are unable to process the German bank account number, meaning I need to keep my PTSB account. Conscious this is againt SEPA regulation, but don't want to kick up a stink at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

ahbell wrote: »
    I was a bit worried about it being essentially a credit card, as I fly a lot with Ryanair and didnt want to end up having to pay the extra few euro every time to use a credit card, but glad to report I used it today to book a flight, selected the Mastercard Debit option and wasn't charged any extra.

So in German Forums there is news/speculation that the "credit card" is now a "debit card" and that what they might do is move the "51733" block over to debit.

That would explain the behavior you experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Tried my card using nfc in mcdonalds today for 7 Euro but it said "bank refused". Worked ok when inserted into the reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

So in German Forums there is news/speculation that the "credit card" is now a "debit card" and that what they might do is move the "51733" block over to debit.

That would explain the behavior you experienced.

What is a 51733 block? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Been used about 5 times already for chip and pin, eg paying for petrol and groceries.

And now it's official, the card is now a debit card:

https://number26.eu/support/kind-card-number26-mastercard/

Now the question is how long it will take to phase through the various payment systems, would be great because one could combine it with revolut (where it's still classed as credit card right now).

And now it's official, the card is now a debit card:

https://number26.eu/support/kind-card-number26-mastercard/

Now the question is how long it will take to phase through the various payment systems, would be great because one could combine it with revolut (where it's still classed as credit card right now).

I find BIN classification confusing, right now depending on which BIN database (online) I use it turns up as either as Credit or Debit.

Now that Number26 want the card to be classified as Debit is that something that Number26 will announce and give to each BIN database company or how does it work in practice?

And then I assume that each company using these databases need to pickup the changes so how long time would expect this to be propagate to be accepted in most companies as a Debit card?

From Number26 point of view what will that mean for them? Does it mean that they will get payed less since the debit fee is less than the credit?

ceroc81 wrote: »
    I find BIN classification confusing, right now depending on which BIN database (online) I use it turns up as either as Credit or Debit.

Now that Number26 want the card to be classified as Debit is that something that Number26 will announce and give to each BIN database company or how does it work in practice?

And then I assume that each company using these databases need to pickup the changes so how long time would expect this to be propagate to be accepted in most companies as a Debit card?

From Number26 point of view what will that mean for them? Does it mean that they will get payed less since the debit fee is less than the credit?

For Number26 that means less interchange fee (0.2% instead of 0.3%) which questions the whole business model that all of these providers have that rely on interchange fees for their charges.

BIN bases on the internet are often wrong I find.

As to how long it takes, it depends on the acquirer of the transaction if I understand it correctly.

I'm sure someone here can explain it better and give you time lines.

I wonder if this change to a debit card means cashback will be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Been used about 5 times already for chip and pin, eg paying for petrol and groceries.

I think you can only do contactless three times in a row before you need to do chip and pin.

elmoslats wrote: »
    I think you can only do contactless three times in a row before you need to do chip and pin.

Clarify: I have done chip and pin 5 times - contactless doesn't work.

I think I read it had to be used at an ATM first - or maybe I'm dreaming it up. Might be worth a shot.

I think I read it had to be used at an ATM first - or maybe I'm dreaming it up. Might be worth a shot.

Pretty sure that is it, its to get the ATM to write/sync the online PIN to the chip so it can be used for offline validation.

I was on to N26 trying to clarify whether the card is a debit or credit on systems, and whether or not cashback will become available.

Despite me being in Ireland, I was referred to their Germany-only Cash26 service. I tried to clarify further, and was told the card is still a credit card. Very confusing. I think they need work on their customer service to be honest, as the conversation didn't leave me feeling a lot of confidence in the customer service person's product knowledge, or knowledge of bank accounts in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Will there be stamp duty on this card?
    If so how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Signed up today, Quick and easy. just used my passport. As soon as i get my card i will use this account for daily spending money

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

I was on to N26 trying to clarify whether the card is a debit or credit on systems, and whether or not cashback will become available.

This actually depends on how a company enters the transaction. Some places enter cashback as a seperate line item, whereas some may add the cashback to the total.

If they just add the cashback to the total then you can get cash back with a number 26 card or indeed any credit card without it showing up as cashback.

Of course this entirely depends on the merchants policy in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Does anyone here use this account for their wages?
    If so, did it impact on their pay day? If I get paid on say 23rd of each month should I still expect that?

Payroll is done right now from/to an Irish account. Concerned that it will shift pay day by a couple of days and I have timed DD's and payments at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Charles Daarrwin

Hi guys
    I opened a number26 account recently.
    How do I lodge money to it?
    My current account is with aib 😈

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Is there any way to save details of an International Transfer with AIB? I can do it for payments to other Irish accounts, but having to enter the IBAN and use a card reader every time I want to transfer is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

Clarify: I have done chip and pin 5 times - contactless doesn't work.

The same happens to me when I try to make contactless payment in Aldi stores. It simply doesn't work..

In other stores I haven't experienced any problem so far.

Contactless works fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Is there any way to save details of an International Transfer with AIB? I can do it for payments to other Irish accounts, but having to enter the IBAN and use a card reader every time I want to transfer is a pain.

You can't, yet. There have been requests on AIB's Talk to... forum to implement it and they seem open to the idea so who knows.

What you can do though is to reuse the details of old international transactions. If you go into "Pay & Transfer" > "Payment History" you'll see a small number of recent transactions, if you've recently made a payment to that account it'll be there and you just hit the "Reuse" button, change the amount and any other details and away you go.

If the transaction isn't in the most recent list, hit the search button (magnifying glass), select a date range and "SEPA Payment" from the drop down list under "Payment Type", and it should appear then, also with the Reuse button.

You'll still need to use the card reader to authenticate every transfer though, no getting away from that I'm afraid.

Advertisement