Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

inel wrote: »
    The same happens to me when I try to make contactless payment in Aldi stores. It simply doesn't work..

In other stores I haven't experienced any problem so far.

Update: Turns out the Mcd - contactless never works. Worked ok in Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

So the list of stores where the N26 contactless payment doesn't work includes ALDI, McDonalds.

Anybody else having tried one of the above stores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

How long did it take you guys to receive your card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

So i spotted this a few days back and have decided to open an account this morning. Was able to add my details via the app on the iphone and had a video verification chat at 7:20 - job done. Very impressed so far.

My plan with this is as follows
    Firstly move a set figure per month from my current account into Number26, over the next fews months I will move my DD's into Number 26 while at the same time increasing the monies I transfer to accomodate the new DD
    so If i move €500 into the new account monthly and I have a BT sub for €21 a move I then move 521 into the new account and let it grow monthly.

Once all DD's are move the current account is in the black I "May" close it. Its in the black most months but like others on occaions I dip into an overdraft but I want to kill that approach.

One thing I like with the Number26 approach is the control on spending, I find it all too easy to speand a few quid here and there and then at the end of the month I am scratching my head as to where my money went.

I plan on now giving myself a €75 a month play budget - move that onto my Revolut card and only use this for adhoc minor purchase. I will put a temp block on my Number26 card for online and ATM usage and that will make me not use the main funds.

The end result I hope is more bloody money at the end of the month. I know I can do this as I have been saving like a nut for a major Australia vaciont in June so I will apply the same to this approach.

All good so far and will be blogging my experience with Number26 over at http://diaryofaworkingdad.eu if anyone is interested. Card on the way today and will update when i get it in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

inel wrote: »
    So the list of stores where the N26 contactless payment doesn't work includes ALDI, McDonalds.

Anybody else having tried one of the above stores?

The first place I tried to use contactless was McDonald's in the Blanchardstown Centre. It failed twice and I ended up paying with PIN. I had prior to that attempt drawn money from an ATM and had multiple point of sale transactions by PIN.

Since that failure I have successfully used contactless in McDonald's a few times (a different branch), at a vending machine in France and a few other places. Not yet in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Mine arrived on the 6th working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Five working days for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

So Maybe when I get home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Stamp duty applies (and the full 30€ Credit Card Stamp Duty).

They have send out a mail about the new AGB and according to a German Twitter/Facebook posting the new AGB include this.

German Tweet:

https://twitter.com/number26/status/690557948431634433

I have looked through both German and English AGB but I can not find a reference, so I send a mail to support with the request to clarify.

• Advertisement

And now I found the reference, it's not in the AGB it's in the Pricelist:

https://number26.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/NNUMBER26-Pricing-List.pdf
    Please note if you are Irish resident: Government Stamp Duty of €30 p.a. applies.

That is incredible, as it's now a debit card (according to their support pages) this should not apply.

They also have updated their support pages about charges:

https://number26.eu/support/really-costs/
    Please note that customers residing in Ireland are liable for a stamp duty fee of 30 € per year for the MasterCard, charged by the Irish Revenue Service. This fee will be collected once a year.

I'm moving off, 30€ is not worth the benefits that number26 is giving over my DKB account.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

I'm moving off, 30€ is not worth the benefits that number26 is giving over my DKB account.

€30 is too much, how do you plan to close your account since N26 support is non-existent?

How to sign up for a DKB account?

And their website is built with Wordpress which is really shocking for a fully online bank.

http://number26.eu/WP/wp-login.php

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I doubt number 26 introduced the charge off their own bat. They clearly got a letter from Revenue. Might just be a matter of time before DKB get one too. I wonder what legal basis there is for this sort of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭blade1

soirish wrote: »
    €30 is too much, how do you plan to close your account since N26 support is non-existent?
    Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.
    Cancel it in your account it says here
    https://number26.eu/support/can-close-number26-account/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It's not a credit card - surely this can't be right - no way I'm paying €30. Just transferred remaining balance out to PTSB.

Actually I tried using the card with Three Mobile and it would not accept it but then I got notification's that I was charged €1 twice. Will wait 10 days and hopefully I get it back.

Good luck to them trying to get the €30 - still find this hard to believe but I'm going to play it safe.

Really getting angry over this - they should be e-mailing customers and advising them how to cancel and I don't expect these people having to pay because they never got advised about this charge and remember in no way is it an actual credit card in how it operates.

What next revolut will want €30? - revenue or number26 or both have really messed up here big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

When do the charges come into effect?

No it's the 1st April.

• Advertisement

UB charged you for your DEBIT/ATM card on the 31st of December, they will charge you on the 1st of April for your CREDIT card.

Allyall wrote: »
    When do the charges come into effect?

The new AGB (Terms & Conditions) come into effect on 21 March 2016, that includes the price list which show the Irish Stamp Duty.

I've always been charged on the 31st of December.

Anyway, I assume some mistake has been made as this is a debit card and we should only be charged up to €5 per year for it. Revenue, or Number26 ballsed it up and I wouldn't be surprised to see it changed soon enough.

Before you go and close your account remember that in Germany once you close a bank account, you can't rejoin that bank. So if the issue is sorted out you can't sign up again. I think there's a 2 month period where you can cancel without Stamp Duty applying so I'm going to hold out for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Having said all that, I think it's extremely poor form that they haven't reached out to us about this. An email or a push notification would be the simplest thing in the world for them to send but they haven't. Not to mention that there is no reliable way to get in touch with them.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Having said all that, I think it's extremely poor form that they haven't reached out to us about this. An email or a push notification would be the simplest thing in the world for them to send but they haven't. Not to mention that there is no reliable way to get in touch with them.

Actually I got an e-mail about the new AGB (Terms & Conditions) which is why I noticed it and raised it here.

It also popped up on their twitter feed (in German) as one of the 2 changes they have done to the AGB.

But it seams that several people did not get the e-mail about the new AGB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I imagine this card is processed as a credit card by merchants and this allows No26 provide it at such low cost, but puts it a certain category with Revenue.

Actually I got an e-mail about the new AGB (Terms & Conditions) which is why I noticed it and raised it here.

It also popped up on their twitter feed (in German) as one of the 2 changes they have done to the AGB.

But it seams that several people did not get the e-mail about the new AGB.

Yeah I just had a double check and saw no email from them. As for the Tweet it's nice if you speak German, but for the French, Italian, etc. customers it's not much benefit!

One of the first things I did when I signed up was look for the @Number26_EN account on Twitter, but no such luck. Seems to be one account that mixes German and English.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/leaflets/stamp-duty-financial-cards.html

Will Number26 issue a letter of closure? Will Irish Banks accept it if they do?

The Irish Government are supposed to be encouraging us to become a cashless society. With all this carry on I'm seriously thinking off going back to cash for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

I used the card on British Airways to buy flights and they classified the card as Mastercard Debit. I had selected Mastercard at the payment stage.

Yeah, someone else on here said they weren't charged the ryanair credit card fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

'there will be an answer"
    So I'm hiring a car in Malaga on the 9 Feb. I have a regular AIB credit card, which I would normally use and they would put a stop of around €800 for eventual damages as I don't take their excess insurance offered at the desk.

So I put € 1,000 on me Number26 card and offer it at the desk. If they refuse I could ask them to put in writing,, why?

Could be a great card for people who want to hire cars and can't get a regular credit card :D

MODS: There's a parallel thread in "Bargains"can u do anything to unify, ta

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Advertisement