Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

pasquale83 wrote: »
    I am curious on how they made the change. Did they go to have a look on the Revenue website and didn't find the updated information? Or what?

I mean, I supposed they officially contacted Revenue which should communicate them the latest rules, not an obsolete one!

Anyway, at the moment is 6 times less than the previous fee at least :)

I have a sneaking suspicion that that's exactly what they did, because the Revenue site has the old information on it. The only reference to the new charges are in a PDF which you need to search ATM Withdrawal Tax to find, and I doubt they know about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So the English support page is now also reflecting the 5€:

https://number26.eu/support/really-costs/

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

So the English support page is now also reflecting the 5€:

https://number26.eu/support/really-costs/

Maybe because I posted on Facebook a request 1hr ago :)

I just decided to try chat and there was no queue :)

Agent was there immediately and already aware of the issue, so I guess they are now working on correcting the mistake they made when correcting the mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

I wonder did the agent fully understand. Did the agent get that this as a new second mistake? or did "aware of the mistake" refer to the first mistake and not the second mistake?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Just spotted another complication from revenue pdf is that if you never use the POS function your capped at 2.50 and not 5 euro. Even irish banks are going to mess this up.

JTMan wrote: »
    I wonder did the agent fully understand. Did the agent get that this as a new second mistake? or did "aware of the mistake" refer to the first mistake and not the second mistake?!

We talked to each other in German in the proper German way there was no room for miss-understandings.

Now that does not guarantee success but I am sure that he understood that the 5€ is a mistake too. He was aware of the change from 30€ to 5€ so he understood me.

It helps to speak German which is bad because after all they are going after an English language market. But when translating Kreditkarte to credit card and causing major issues one should not expect miracles.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Just spotted another complication from revenue pdf is that if you never use the POS function your capped at 2.50 and not 5 euro. Even irish banks are going to mess this up.

I think Section 123B of the SDCA is very clear on that.....

I think Section 123B of the SDCA is very clear on that.....

PTSB messed up with me on old rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

App update on IOS to version 2.2.2 - might reflect the change in T&C's with some stability refinements

- Cash26 map navigation - (Germany only i would think)
    - Touch ID improvements
    - Improvements regarding overdraft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

So both Revolut and Monese confirmed ATM withdrawal tax @ 0.12 cent per withdrawal why N26 insists it's 5€?

soirish wrote: »
    So both Revolut and Monese confirmed ATM withdrawal tax @ 0.12 cent per withdrawal why N26 insists it's 5€?

I suspect they have looked at the outdated information that Revenue is providing on: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/leaflets/stamp-duty-financial-cards.html

Let's see if they manage to get it correct in the 2nd attempt, at least they now classify it as Debit Card.

I still can't understand how they did not spot this before they launched, especially as the card is somehow coded as Irish.

I suspect they have looked at the outdated information that Revenue is providing on: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/leaflets/stamp-duty-financial-cards.html

Let's see if they manage to get it correct in the 2nd attempt, at least they now classify it as Debit Card.

I still can't understand how they did not spot this before they launched, especially as the card is somehow coded as Irish.

Yep, that was my guess as I reported few posts above. Just waiting for a reply on Facebook from them on this.

pasquale83 wrote: »
    Yep, that was my guess as I reported few posts above. Just waiting for a reply on Facebook from them on this.

They just responded to my 1 Star review on Facebook with the same text they used in the e-mail they send.

I pointed them to the manual.

It's taken me some work to highlight to Irish Banks here on Boards that if you don't use the POS function the cap is €2.50. I'm not condoning Number26 behaviour but it show's how they are having such difficulties with understanding the legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I find it hard to fault a foreign bank when even the Revenue has outdated information on their site. These are pathetic made up taxes that don't exist elsewhere, I mean a bloody tax on ATM withdrawals??

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

murphaph wrote: »
    I find it hard to fault a foreign bank when even the Revenue has outdated information on their site. These are pathetic made up taxes that don't exist elsewhere, I mean a bloody tax on ATM withdrawals??

Yepp, now it's €5 I'm happy enough. I'd probably end up paying that in the end anyway. Ridiculous way to charge the tax, and probably a pain for all banks to implement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

gawker wrote: »
    Yepp, now it's €5 I'm happy enough. I'd probably end up paying that in the end anyway. Ridiculous way to charge the tax, and probably a pain for all banks to implement.

Yeah I'm happy with Number26 now it's confirmed at €5. Only annoying thing is I still have to keep my Irish account open as my payroll don't support IBAN and BIC, still using account number and sort code and then transfer to N26 account.

Am I right in thinking that if I don't use my bank card at all for my Irish bank that I won't be charged any stamp duty?

ahbell wrote: »
    Yeah I'm happy with Number26 now it's confirmed at €5. Only annoying thing is I still have to keep my Irish account open as my payroll don't support IBAN and BIC, still using account number and sort code and then transfer to N26 account.

Am I right in thinking that if I don't use my bank card at all for my Irish bank that I won't be charged any stamp duty?

There is no flat amount stamp duty on ATM/Debit cards.

There is now a stamp duty depending on how many times you withdraw cash in the republic.

€0.12 for each cash withdrawal from an ATM in the State subject to a maximum charge 2.50€ if you have an ATM card or a combined Cash/Debit card and only ever used the cash function or 5.00 if you have a combined Cash/Debit card and used both functions.

So if you do not use your Irish card for any ATM withdraws than you won't get charged.

Similarly, if you use your number26 card in an ATM in the republic you will be charged €0.12 for each cash withdrawal from an ATM in the State subject to a maximum charge of 2.50 / 5.00 €.

There is now a stamp duty depending on how many times you withdraw cash in the republic.

€0.12 for each cash withdrawal from an ATM in the State subject to a maximum charge 2.50€ if you have an ATM card or a combined Cash/Debit card and only ever used the cash function or 5.00 if you have a combined Cash/Debit card and used both functions.

So if you do not use your Irish card for any ATM withdraws than you won't get charged.

Similarly, if you use your number26 card in an ATM in the republic you will be charged €0.12 for each cash withdrawal from an ATM in the State subject to a maximum charge of 2.50 / 5.00 €.

Thanks for clarifying, and sorry last question as know it's off topic - but when do they start counting the amount of transactions? Jan 1st?

• Advertisement

ahbell wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying, and sorry last question as know it's off topic - but when do they start counting the amount of transactions? Jan 1st?

Yup 01 January 2016.

Which in theory means that those of us who had a number26 account last year are still liable for 2.50/5.00 Stamp duty for 2015, once number26 has sorted it self out.

Yup 01 January 2016.

Which in theory means that those of us who had a number26 account last year are still liable for 2.50/5.00 Stamp duty for 2015, once number26 has sorted it self out.

Ah yeah that's a bit annoying, think I got my N26 card in between Christmas and New Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Is the 0.12c charge just for Irish citizens or also for everyone that visits? When I'm back in Ireland will I get charged 12c for every withdrawal while there?

jester77 wrote: »
    Is the 0.12c charge just for Irish citizens or also for everyone that visits? When I'm back in Ireland will I get charged 12c for every withdrawal while there?

It's 12 cent only if the card (or account) has a billing address in the republic independent of who issues the card.

So if you card has a billing address in a foreign country than no charge, if you card has an address in the Republic you get charged even if the card comes from for example a German bank like Number26/Wirecard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

So if you have a debit card and only ever use it for POS transactions, there's no charge at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

It's 12 cent only if the card (or account) has a billing address in the republic independent of who issues the card.

So if you card has a billing address in a foreign country than no charge, if you card has an address in the Republic you get charged even if the card comes from for example a German bank like Number26/Wirecard.

How is this meant to work for cards issued by foreign banks that don't specifically operate in the Irish market? Plenty of foreigners and others who have ever lived abroad are likely to have foreign bank accounts.

hognef wrote: »
    So if you have a debit card and only ever use it for POS transactions, there's no charge at all?

That is my understanding from reading the available information.
    hognef wrote: »
    How is this meant to work for cards issued by foreign banks that don't specifically operate in the Irish market? Plenty of foreigners and others who have ever lived abroad are likely to have foreign bank accounts.

It's any banks responsibility to ensure they are tax compliant when they accept a customer's billing address in the Republic.

And given that you have to declare a foreign bank account in you tax return to Revenue they have the data to ensure that foreign banks declare the stamp duty and pay if they choose to purse it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

So am I right in thinking that the only real downsides to this account are:

- No Cashback (I don't mind that really)
    - Some companies will not allow DDs from non Irish accounts
    - Some shops won't take the card(?)

I am seriously considering this, but one question: If you want to apply for a loan to an Irish bank, or you're buying a car or something and you're asked for 6 months bank statements, what do you do?

Elessar wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking that the only real downsides to this account are:

- No Cashback (I don't mind that really)
    - Some companies will not allow DDs from non Irish accounts
    - Some shops won't take the card(?)

I am seriously considering this, but one question: If you want to apply for a loan to an Irish bank, or you're buying a car or something and you're asked for 6 months bank statements, what do you do?

They provide monthly statements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

did a AIB international standard transfer of funds yesterday morning at 7:30 and was in Number26 4pm... brilliant

Advertisement