Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cavalier King Charles - Screeching in Pain

• 03-12-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My 7 year old male CKC has on occasions had moments where he would starting screeching out of the blue which would last for 20/30 seconds. This may happen once every 3/4 months. Now I know CKC's have a low pain threshold and whinge at any slight little thing. We always thought it was either a cramp in his butt, or an itch in his ears etc. We have consulted vets etc about it but they found nothing untoward.

With the last month to six weeks it is happening increasingly more frequent to maybe 3/4 times per week. It's like a nervous thing, he's starts scratching his face or his ear and then he cowers away screeching after a few mins with his butt tucked under him. It's daft, I've checked his ears etc and the vet did same 3/4 weeks ago and they look clear.

Anybody else out there have there pooch doing something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Redtawnie wrote: »
    My 7 year old male CKC has on occasions had moments where he would starting screeching out of the blue which would last for 20/30 seconds. This may happen once every 3/4 months. Now I know CKC's have a low pain threshold and whinge at any slight little thing. We always thought it was either a cramp in his butt, or an itch in his ears etc. We have consulted vets etc about it but they found nothing untoward.

With the last month to six weeks it is happening increasingly more frequent to maybe 3/4 times per week. It's like a nervous thing, he's starts scratching his face or his ear and then he cowers away screeching after a few mins with his butt tucked under him. It's daft, I've checked his ears etc and the vet did same 3/4 weeks ago and they look clear.

Anybody else out there have there pooch doing something similar?

God OP i hope your poor dog is ok.

My cocker who nearly 11 has never once screehed in pain...

Have you researched the breeding issues with king charles?

Not trying to scare you or anything but it could be the following:

http://cavaliercampaign.com/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel-health-issues/

This is where due to breeding the brain grows too big for the skull etc resulting in pain, and fits eventually.

i would doubt any standard vet would search for this... he is in pain, so something major must be wrong.

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/diagnosing/diagnosing/symptoms.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Redtawnie

Thanks for the reply, I had heard of this brain thing before alright and know of another dog which died from repeated seizures etc. Will download that link and have a proper look through. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Agreed op, this needs to be investigated at a level much more in-depth than a table-top examination.
    Have you pet insurance?

Really hope this isnt the case OP and your little dog is ok XXX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

When someone says cav, the first thing I think of is syringomyelia but surely any vet worth his salt would investigate that straight away when a cav presents with those symptoms. I would be looking for a second opinion OP. Where did you get the dog from OP?

• Advertisement

No pet insurance unfortunately.

Dog was bought by mother in-law for my wife so the dogs history is very sketchy to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Ask a vet to check its glands in back passage. May need to be massaged and drained. Can refill after a period and procedure to be repeated.
    Extremely painful for dog and they screech and sit on backside as you describe.

Duckytech wrote: »
    Ask a vet to check its glands in back passage. May need to be massaged and drained. Can refill after a period and procedure to be repeated.
    Extremely painful for dog and they screech and sit on backside as you describe.

Id doubt it to be honest, the OP mentioned he is scratching his head and ears...
    Most dogs with full anal glands will drag their bums on the floor at times.

If this is the case a dog def doesn't need to get the drained, a decent diet will do this naturally - high fibre.

anyway best of luck OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

I have a 8 year old CKC had an issue with a disk in his back about a year ago which resulted in him screeching in pain, also was very tender around hind area you could hardly touch him. Vet had him for a few days did x-ray etc. diagnosed an issue with a disc in his back, prescribed pain killers and told me to not let him jump around or walk him too much for a few weeks. He his fine now just getting older still a bit tender around the hind back area and tenses up if anyone goes to touch him there. But no more screeching in pain. And he does the odd time run around the garden like a mad thing.
    Diffidently think you need to get the vet to do more investigation and x-ray to see what’s going on. Could also be and issue with his teeth. best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The symptoms sound very like Syringomyelia. I would def get another opinion asap. You can't leave a dog in pain like this.

Advertisement