Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DID Electrical - Price Match Promise

Options
  • 03-12-2015 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

DID Electrical in Athlone have a large sign beside their checkout saying that they will match competitors prices for similar items however on Monday they were selling beats solo 2 headphones for €199 while Argos in Athlone had the same product (same model, same colour and in stock) for €169.
    When I asked about the price match, I was told that they cannot match Argos, can they really advertise like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭jasonb

Do they define what 'competitors' are? I guess that's what it comes down to? They could argue that Argos aren't an 'Electrical Store' or something like that...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The sign will probably say that Terms and Conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smasherplan9

Probably not breaking any laws but thought it a bit under hand to have that sign up and be that selective.
    I just gave Harvey Norman in Castlebar who make a similar claim a call and asked the if they would match Argos price, the manager there said no problem, come on over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Don't get these price match things.

If they are charging you over the odds and someone else is offering it cheaper why bother with getting it matched?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Xcellor wrote: »

If they are charging you over the odds and someone else is offering it cheaper why bother with getting it matched?

+1 Just go with the guy who is cheaper, why waste your time arguing with some chancer who is pushing false promises?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Because a surprising amount of people won't have done their homework to know the cheapest place. Also a certain amount of people will just be content to buy something there and then if it meets their needs. So it's not necessarily vital for them to keep an eye on competitors pricing and be the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Probably not breaking any laws but thought it a bit under hand to have that sign up and be that selective.
    I just gave Harvey Norman in Castlebar who make a similar claim a call and asked the if they would match Argos price, the manager there said no problem, come on over.
    Curry's price match is equally restrictive.
    http://www.currys.ie/content/price-promise-we-wont-be-beaten-on-price/926
    If you find Argos, DID Electrical, Expert, Harvey Norman or Power City has the same product at a cheaper price, we'll match it - even up to 7 days after purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The shop may be nearer to you. Also you might prefer to buy from one shop over another for several reasons e.g. if it was Irish owned, or gave you good service in the past, or have a great no quibble refund policy.

Not matchin argos is pretty bad, they are not even usually that cheap to begin with. If it was some store with minimal stock or an online store I could imagine it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 Just go with the guy who is cheaper, why waste your time arguing with some chancer who is pushing false promises?

I was looking at a media server/back up storage and spotted Argos had knocked around €100 off the RRP of the one I was looking at, however there was only 1 left in Argos in the whole of Ireland. It was 5TB and it with the slashed price it was being sold for a couple of euro cheaper than the 3TB version everywhere else, including Amazon and Currys. Currys have their price matching signs up all over the place in store and they had to match it.

A lot of the time the higher price is not because someone is chancing their arm, it's because that's just the price of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭glen25

I had the exact same experience with DID on Monday. Wanted to buy an iPad Air in the Athlone store price matched to Currys/PC World. I contacted customer service to see if they price matched other retailers (I hadn't seen any signs but just checked on the off chance) & the guy said that they did and would find out how to go about it and call me back. He never did.

I had sent an online email earlier in the day to ask the same question and they eventually came back to say they wouldn't price match the iPad.

Bad form really so I ended up buying in PC World in Galway when I would have preferred to stay local.

• Advertisement
Advertisement