Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit size

Options
  • 03-12-2015 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi

I'm a first time buyer and I was wondering if the size of a deposit would have any influence on your success in bidding on a house?

I inherited a sizeable amount of money (about 40% of the total) and was wondering if this makes any difference to the vendor when bidding on a house

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi

I'm a first time buyer and I was wondering if the size of a deposit would have any influence on your success in bidding on a house?

I inherited a sizeable amount of money (about 40% of the total) and was wondering if this makes any difference to the vendor when bidding on a house

Many thanks

Once all parties are mortgage approved it would make no difference to me if one person had more of a deposit than the other once they were genuinely interested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Hi

Many thanks

You may be more appealing in that your financially viable to buy the place but if the other bidder is too it just comes down to who is willing to pay more

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭recipesforme

Thanks for your replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

It puts you in a slightly stronger position. Just casually say you're "well in excess of 20% deposit" but don't be too specific because the EA will probably take it as an invitation to bid you up so you're left with 20% deposit.

That's a good idea! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

All cash would put you in a way way stronger position though.

Unfortunately it wouldn't be nearly enough to buy a place in Dublin on a 100% cash basis

Advertisement