Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Scam, How to get money back ?

Options
  • 03-12-2015 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

So I was recently scammed online and I was just wondering what (if any) action I can take to get my money back.

I bought 2 trophies from the site <SNIP> for an event I was running. After a good few weeks and coming closer to the event there was still no sign of them. I tried emailing but got no reply, tried calling and the phone number was invalid.

I payed using Skrill and contacted them but they said they had nothing to do with it. I found the owner of the site online and contacted him on twitter. He said he's not running the company anymore, and to take it up with Skrill, "the broker" as he called them. I have an online receipt from Skrill for payment to him <SNIP>

His name is <SNIP> he's and lives in <SNIP> from what I can tell.

I didn't lose a huge amount of money, but I ended up having no trophy for the event and I'd really like to get it back.

Any advice at all on this would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

<SNIP> No need to quote OP
    Did you pay by credit card? Never used Skrill before but if you paid by CC then you can contact your credit card company and say you never received the goods...

If not you are probably out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am not familiar with Skrill. Is it a prepaid credit card? If it is contact them and tell them that you want to do a chargeback on the transaction. If they refuse you could email the financial regulator about it could make them do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say yourman got the payment. Unless he closed down his bank account Skrill would just take their cut and pass on the money. It's either resting in his skrill account or he's withdrawn it.

When skrill say "they had nothing to do with it" are they saying the payment didn't go through them, or that you should take it up with the seller first?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Never used them but is appears Skrill are just a money transfer service and don't provide any of the protections or dispute resolution you get with Paypal. You only use them to transfer funds so that could explain why they say it's not their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Never used them but is appears Skrill are just a money transfer service and don't provide any of the protections or dispute resolution you get with Paypal. You only use them to transfer funds so that could explain why they say it's not their problem.

It you had comeback against money transfer companies Western Union would have gone out of business long ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement