Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with TP Link WiFi boosters - no signal via Ethernet ports? Virgin

Options
  • 03-12-2015 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

My setup is as follows:

I'm with Virgin (ex. UPC)

Modem in upstairs study with 4 Ethernet ports.

Two computers in the study are directly connected to two of these ports by Ethernet cable, without any problem.

I had been using a third Ethernet port with a pair of these.......

http://www.argos.ie/st...chtext%3ETP+LINK.htm

......one of which was connected to my Sky TV box.

Last night I swapped the TV box connection over to a WiFi Radio HiFi in another room. It ran like a train - no problems.

So, today I bought a second pair of TP Link adapters to reconnect my Sky TV box and use up the 4th Ethernet port on the modem.

Now I have NO signal whatsoever. confused.png

With both TP Links turned on I have the upper and lower green lights, but not the middle one.

I then unplugged one of them completely and rebooted the one attached to the radio. Still no signal. Still only two green lights.

I've tried rebooting the modem, holding in the button on the TP Link adapter to reboot the lights on it - nothing.

Not a happy bunny at all. I've gone from superb Sky TV box signal OR superb WiFi radio signal, to zip.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They need to be paired up, its how they stop your neighbours eavesdropping your traffic.

Take them all to the study, connect the main one then read the manual and following the pairing steps. When they're all linked up up there then distribute them back around the home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

You do not need 2 sets, you only need 3 singles and use one Ethernet port in the modem. You'll need to press a button on them to pair them so they all talk to one another, do this in a double socket. Keep your master in the left, power on both sockets, press the button and pair then then swap the one on the right and press the buttons and pair again with the third one. You'll end up with all 3 paired

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

ED E wrote: »
    They need to be paired up, its how they stop your neighbours eavesdropping your traffic.

Take them all to the study, connect the main one then read the manual and following the pairing steps. When they're all linked up up there then distribute them back around the home.

Thanks for the reply.

Here's what I did....

1. Plugged in one adapter.

2. Connected it to the modem via Ethernet.

3. All three green lights lit up.

4. Plugged in a second adapter in the socket next to it.

5. Immediately, the middle green light on the first one went out. (This is the Powerline light. If it's out, the manual says, "It's not connected to any powerline network or is in Power-Saving mode.)

6. Anyway, I pressed the button on this first adapter (the one connected to the modem) until the lights went out.

7. I then immediately pressed the button on the second adapter, until its lights went out.

8. I then unplugged the second adapter.

9. I then went downstairs and connected it to the WiFi radio.

On both adapters, the middle light remained off. So, no radio reception.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks again.

D.

Ps. If I turn off and on the main adapter upstairs, while the one downstairs is still plugged in, only the top and bottom lights come back on. Yesterday, all three lights on both were on and the radio was superb.

See my post above

You do not need 2 sets, you only need 3 singles and use one Ethernet port in the modem. You'll need to press a button on them to pair them so they all talk to one another, do this in a double socket. Keep your master in the left, power on both sockets, press the button and pair then then swap the one on the right and press the buttons and pair again with the third one. You'll end up with all 3 paired

Thanks. We were typing at the same time.

See my post above. Pairing isn't working for me for some reason.

I'm flummoxed! :eek:

?

D.

• Advertisement

See my post above

Yes, I think I'm doing it right, but no joy.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Yes, I think I'm doing it right, but no joy.

D.

Follow my method but don't turn off the master while pairing

Follow my method but don't turn off the master while pairing

I didn't.

I plug the master in. All three lights come on.

I plug in the second one next to it. Immediately, the middle light goes out on the master. (Only the power light [top] comes on on the second one, which is what i'd expect.)

I press the button anyway, on the master - lights go out after a few seconds. I release button and press button on second one until light goes out.

Then I plug second one in downstairs. (For what it's worth, when I unplug the second one to take it downstairs, the middle light on the master still doesn't come on.)

Maddening. :(

Thanks.

D.

Forget about downstairs for now, bring all three together to a double socket and pair

Forget about downstairs for now, bring all three together to a double socket and pair

Thanks, but no joy.

As I wrote above, the master adapter on its own has three lights.

As soon as a second one is plugged in, the middle light is turned off.

I did the pairing procedure for two other adapters, anyway.

But, when I plug them in downstairs, the middle light remains off on those also.

When the WiFi radio was steaming last night, there was three green lights on both master and local adapter.

Ggggrrrrrr.........!

Thanks again.

D. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RTFM.

Step 1:
    Press and hold the Pair button of Powerline adapter A for 1 second, the Power LED will start flashing.

Step 2:
    In 120 seconds, please press and hold the Pair button of adapter B for 1 second, the Power LED will start flashing. About 60 seconds later, the Powerline LED on both adapters will light up.

Notes:
    1. For TL-PA201/TL-PA211 V1/TL-PA210 V1/TL-PA251 V1, you need hold the Pair button 3-8 seconds to start the pair procedure.
    2. If you have tried several times but failed, please press the pair button and hold it more than 10 seconds to leave the network and then try to pair again.

Step 3:
    For more adapters, please press the pair button on one of the existing network, then press Pair button on the adapter which wants to be joined in the existing network. Simply add them one by one.

Thanks.

Worked it out yesterday.

Running like a train now - both Sky TV box and internet radio.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks.

Running like a train now - both Sky TV box and internet radio.

D.

I'd suggest you pair up the 4th plug as well while it's fresh in your mind.
    It means if you need to add something else, you don't have to go digging for the instructions!

Advertisement