Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra and School Chaos

Options
  • 03-12-2015 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

How soon before someone has a kid knocked down or car damaged by the school chaos on the Centra forecourt at pick up time?

Centra staff turn a blind eye and roving bands of Mom's career across the forecourt with abandon and god help you if you want to actually get petrol.

Rant ends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭beepbeeprichie

There's madness at nearly every school in the country, it's a pain but not sure what could ever be done about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Centra staff turn a blind eye and roving bands of Mom's career across the forecourt with abandon and god help you if you want to actually get petrol.

The parents spend a fair bit of money in Centra too, not sure what you think the staff can do about it.

The school sends out regular notices telling parents to park at the church but ultimately they can't control what happens outside the school grounds.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

I wouldn't be trying to get petrol around the time school finishes anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    What is it about some drivers that they think its OK to park on the footpath when they want to leave space on the road for cars to get past?
    Guys, if there isn't enough space to park on the road without blocking it, don't think its OK to park on the footpath instead. Go off and look somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

recedite wrote: »
    What is it about some drivers that they think its OK to park on the footpath when they want to leave space on the road for cars to get past?
    Guys, if there isn't enough space to park on the road without blocking it, don't think its OK to park on the footpath instead. Go off and look somewhere else.

We've had similar problems in the estate beside St. Laurence's. Parents run up and pick up their kids, leaving their car/jeep in or blocking someone's driveway - every morning.

And with regard to traffic, don't get my started on the junction at Roche's Pharmacy every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

My kids aren't in school yet but in all fairness where is there to park for parents? I'm not talking specifically about that area in greystones but from what I can see no schools have parking for parents. I dread doing the school run when my son starts next year, I have a toddler aswell so ill have to park and take her out and bring her too, I sympathise with parents trying to drop their kids, maybe have younger kids in the back etc, I actually can now understand why they do park anywhere and everywhere, what else can they do? There is simply nowhere near enough parking for parents near the schools. I would never block someone's driveway, that's just pure inconsiderate but parking up on a path for a few mins isn't the biggest issue in the world.

Thestones wrote: »
    parking up on a path for a few mins isn't the biggest issue in the world.

it is if you're in a wheelchair and can't get past; or if you're another parent with a double-buggy and have to go out onto the road. It's the same as people parking in disabled spots and saying "ah it's only for a few minutes"

loyatemu wrote: »
    it is if you're in a wheelchair and can't get past; or if you're another parent with a double-buggy and have to go out onto the road. It's the same as people parking in disabled spots and saying "ah it's only for a few minutes"

Your right but at the same time where else is there to park? 10 or 15 minute walk away? Seriously please suggest alternative areas where parents should park, the problem is that there isn't any designated areas for them and no matter what they do someone will be giving out. And I don't think it's really the same as parking in a disabled spot as they are in a carpark with lots of other spots to choose from and they take up those ones instead which is totally out of order. I'm sure the majority of parents are doing their best not to block anyone and be quick about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Your right but at the same time where else is there to park? 10 or 15 minute walk away? Seriously please suggest alternative areas where parents should park, the problem is that there isn't any designated areas for them and no matter what they do someone will be giving out. And I don't think it's really the same as parking in a disabled spot as they are in a carpark with lots of other spots to choose from and they take up those ones instead which is totally out of order. I'm sure the majority of parents are doing their best not to block anyone and be quick about it.
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, the school asks parents to park in the carpark of the church across the road.

All you're doing is trying to justify selfish and inconsiderate parking and make out that there's nothing you can do about it. Take responsibility. Park where you're supposed to and let your little darling enjoy the short stroll to school from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

What's wrong with a 10/15 minute walk? What's wrong with carpooling?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

There is NO excuse for parking on (either partially or completely blocking) a footpath.
    IF there was a member of the Traffic Corps handing out tickets for illegally parked cars, those drivers wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
    Thestones, if you were trying to make your way around that place in a wheelchair, there'd be no "......your're right BUT...."
    Eponymous is spot on....the people who park there are selfish and inconsiderate - plain and simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Harsh as this sounds, they are your children and this is your problem to solve.
    They are not my children and it should not become my problem with your car blocking my footpath.

Leave earlier and walk, carpool, use public transport, park in the harbor and walk from there...

Eponymous wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, the school asks parents to park in the carpark of the church across the road.

All you're doing is trying to justify selfish and inconsiderate parking and make out that there's nothing you can do about it. Take responsibility. Park where you're supposed to and let your little darling enjoy the short stroll to school from there.

My little darlings aren't in school yet if you bothered to read my post properly, I'm simply saying that I somewhat understand what these parents have to deal with everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

My little darlings aren't in school yet if you bothered to read my post properly, I'm simply saying that I somewhat understand what these parents have to deal with everyday.
    Being a parent is not a licence to be selfish or to inconvenience pedestrians or other road users - there's nothing more to understand. Remember that when you start the school run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

It happens at every school, the best way if you can is just avoid the area at the school times be it morning or afternoon, I've seen parents park as near the entrance or double park short of nearly parking in the classroom, God forbid their little darlings should have to walk too far, Unfortunely it sometimes take an accident before anything is done about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

pixbyjohn wrote: »

They sure loved to do the same around the Horseshoe in Rathdown Park. Jeeps and 6+ seaters parked on the corner of roads... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It happens at every school, the best way if you can is just avoid the area at the school times be it morning or afternoon,
    But how can you avoid the chaos if you have to take your kids to that school and you are also wheeling another child in a buggy.
    I can avoid the chaos most times as I don't take my grand children to school.
    There is no simple answer but what is wrong is wrong.

My kids aren't in school yet but in all fairness where is there to park for parents? I'm not talking specifically about that area in greystones but from what I can see no schools have parking for parents.
    Well quite a few schools do have car parks. But even those that have car parks tend to mismanage them. Places nearest the door are reserved for staff when they should be given over to a "stop and drop zone".
    I know one school in Ballinteer that manages very well without a car park, but there is about 50 metres of the road alongside the school reserved for stop and drop. No driver is allowed to leave the car in this zone, and typical turnaround is about 30 seconds. The kids are perfectly safe walking that distance into the school on their own because.... there are no cars allowed on the footpath ;) And there is a lollipop lady keeping an eye on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

This might seem off-topic as it relates to another area but it was the response of the Garda that shocked me.
    I lived and worked in a part of Dublin previously where I used to on occasion pick my son up at 2.30pm from Creche. The Creche was accessed via a small 2-way road with a large primary school in front of it, another 3 across the dual carriageway and 2 secondary schools also in the vicinity. The access road to the Creche (and a large block of apartments and houses) had double yellow lines and yellow zigzags outside the school gate. When I dropped off in the morning, there was never an issue as it was before school start time. However, at 2.30pm all hell broke loose. The double yellows were completely ignored. The footpath was just a parking bay. And the road became one way. Frequently multiple cars had to reverse out onto the dual carriageway across a bus lane(which was often blocked) argy bargies broke out many's the time. I rang the local Garda a few times. The typical response was 'we'll get someone down there'. Right. However, on one day when the blockage went on for over 20 mins and people were out of their cars hurling abuse at one another, I made another call. The response from the Garda shocked me. Apparently, parking on double yellows, on a yellow zigzag and/or on a footpath is not a road traffic offence if it is school collection or drop off time. He pointed out to me that the area developed in the 1950s before there was so much traffic so wasn't really designed for cars and that it usually clears in a few minutes so I just needed to be patient and to give these parents a break - what else could they do?
    The Creche had highlighted this problem to the authorities many times as they made the point that should they need an ambulance or to get a sick or injured child out at that time of day, they stood no chance besides running with the child in their arms.
    Oh yeah, the Garda also suggested I contact the schools, Dublin city council & the local politicians and he wouldn't give me his own name or reg no when I asked for it.

• Advertisement

Getting back on topic re the parking on pavements in rathdown road and Victoria road, add the Christmas tree 'shop' at the ormonde to the list of places causing traffic problems. Last week I had to take my baby onto the road in order to get past 2 cars parked up on the path whilst the owners had to pick their trees. 🌲Maybe it's me, maybe I am just an intolerant gringe..,

Shazerina wrote: »
    The response from the Garda shocked me. Apparently, parking on double yellows, on a yellow zigzag and/or on a footpath is not a road traffic offence if it is school collection or drop off time.
    Never heard that one before, maybe the Garda meant its not an offence that they would try to prosecute at those particular times.

The kind of Gridlock you describe is due to poor planning. Even schools that have car parks such as St Lawrences and Delgany Nat School are prone to it because the exits are constricted and they lack safe drop-off zones, where parents can pick-up or drop-off kids and then make a clean getaway, without being caught up in the internal car park traffic jam.

recedite wrote: »
    Never heard that one before, maybe the Garda meant its not an offence that they would try to prosecute at those particular times."
    Sorry. I was being a little sarky, maybe even facetious, in that comment.
    Just to be clear, the Garda never actually said it wasn't an offence to do those things around a school at drop off/collection times. But his response to me was to basically shut up and put up.
    The bottom line though, is that it is a road traffic offence to do any of those things anywhere at any time. That Garda I spoke to just felt he should turn a blind eye to it to cut parents some slack. Grand. Until one of them or their children got hit by a car.
    And re planning, in this particular area, all the schools and the houses had been built in the 1950s so it was actually a sign of good planning. The apartments were obviously a more recent phenomenon but they were not causing a problem. Neither was the Creche. It was purely linked to school traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Unfortunately, the problem is not restricted to Centra and Rathdown road footpaths. I should have also included the near manic driver that takes place morning and afternoon in Rathdown Park.

Mad moms racing into the park to park up in front of peoples houses to bring their kiddies along the footpath walkway. No regard for give way signs, speed limits or people's ability get into or out of their houses.

Also no consideration for children in Rathdown walking to school.

While I rant I also realize this is the culture in so many places, time, stress and sheer lack of spatial awareness so no amount of ranting will change this.

But perhaps clamping in Rathdown Park will, the next residents association meeting will be interesting.

But perhaps clamping in Rathdown Park will, the next residents association meeting will be interesting.

Rathdown Park is in the council's charge I would've thought - they can't introduce clamping of their own volition (unlike Charlesland which is a private development with a management company). Who parks there anyway - parents from the schools opposite Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

From what I've seen it's the parent's of kids going to Kevin's parking in Rathdown Park and using the walkway. The 3 schools at Blacklion shouldn't have parking issues as there is the Lidl car park there. But even so, several parents park on the cycle track. When the community Garda goes up, everyone acts like a saint and no-body parks on the cycle track or at junctions and they actually use the car park!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement