Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25% Discount for the gauntlet / lough cultra races

Options
  • 03-12-2015 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

Since there is no tri an mhi this might interest a few for an ealry season half
    http://www.castletriathlonseries.co.uk/races/the-gauntlet-half-iron-distance/

relaxed vibe , great location, great course, nice lake swim great trail run and also the bike is cool going through the burren ( with some intersting road surface thats part of this area ')

I believe discount available till monday
    make sure you enter via irish entry path.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I remember that actually, specifically for Gauntlet, few people weren't satisfied with the swim saying it was shallow and they've ripped their swimsuits. Other than that, I did the sprint race and event was a decent one for a commercial, small one. Nice food available afterwords, showers provided and decent atmosphere. A bit pricey but hey, it's privately owned race so I didn't really expect anything less :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I think 120 euro for the half is very good value given they have plenty of aid stations which are very well stocked
    the towel they gave in the goodie bag is the only thing i use from any goodie bag i got this year, its top notch quality ( speedo) .
    there was also plenty of gels and bars in the goodie bag if i remember correctly.
    tri an mhi was a fantastic 3 star race the gauntlet i perceive more as a 4star race and i have to admit while i prefer 3 star races i left the gauntlet race impressed.

yes one buoy was a bit missplaced last year but iam sure they will make sure this is not going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Like most here, I'd prefer a club gets any money going in Tri; above that I'd prefer a club putting on a good race gets any money going in Tri; above that I'd prefer anyone putting on a good race gets any money going in Tri.

Lough Cutra has put on a great race for the past couple of years, at good prices for anyone entering early. Camping facilities available too, maybe a Boards post-race BBq?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

peter kern wrote: »
    I think 120 euro for the half is very good value given they have plenty of aid stations which are very well stocked
    the towel they gave in the goodie bag is the only thing i use from any goodie bag i got this year, its top notch quality ( speedo) .
    there was also plenty of gels and bars in the goodie bag if i remember correctly.
    tri an mhi was a fantastic 3 star race the gauntlet i perceive more as a 4star race and i have to admit while i prefer 3 star races i left the gauntlet race impressed.

yes one buoy was a bit missplaced last year but iam sure they will make sure this is not going to happen

According to their website the price is 180 GBP and even with 25% discount it's still somewhere around 185 EUR. I'm still thinking about it and might really get back there so thx for the short review though (I mentioned swim problems from last year only because I heard about those here and after the race itself) :)

P.s. you really use these kind of towels? I always find them strange and don't feel like I really dried myself properly using anything other then old-schoold cotton ones - should probably give it another go then... :P

EDIT: Just saw the prize is 120 EUR when you do go towards actually paying for the race which is indeed more than decent for HIM... Thx for another heads-up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Thanks to a tweet from Sean I won a competition for a free entry. That's my early season HIM sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Would I be right in saying that you were the only entrant to the competition? !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Bambaata wrote: »

Nope there was two others, me included, so I finally podiumed ;)

But a win is a win is a win :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bambaata wrote: »

I actually thought this seems too easy as very little entrants. It was a funny comment though, at least give me some kudos for it:)

Registered, can you be tempted if injury gets sorted? Myself & Tango heading that direction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I actually thought this seems too easy as very little entrants. It was a funny comment though, at least give me some kudos for it:)

Registered, can you be tempted if injury gets sorted? Myself & Tango heading that direction

I'm also entered. Come on Eddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Is the water not fierce cold that early???? :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm in* too.

*sprint

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

pgibbo wrote: »
    Is the water not fierce cold that early???? :eek:

fierce.
    sconhome wrote: »
    I'm in* too.

*sprint

believe it when i see the wetsuit being put on

(you and the one 2 above you as well. ye've got history here)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I could be swayed. I wont be making any decisions for a few weeks though. Got the foot laser done on Wednesday, seems to have worked (as in i cant feel a lump anymore) but holding of until Monday before trying to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

pgibbo wrote:
    Is the water not fierce cold that early????

Water was actually OK this year. Was pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Signed up too for the standard. On the main page it says something like €150, but €65 when you actually go to pay.

Thanks to a tweet from Sean I won a competition for a free entry. That's my early season HIM sorted.

Just FYI there are more entries available to be given away. You know where the Twitter feed is at this stage or Facebook will do too.

Advertisement