Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPD couriers - shambles

Options
  • 03-12-2015 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I appreciate its a really mental time of the year. But this courier absolutely is a shambles. We live address wise in one county but geographically its 5 kms in another county. DPD are the only one who have a problem with this. Address hub get package, decide we are in a different country. Cross out my address and send the package to geographical hub. (passing 1 mile from house in process). Other hub get package with incomplete address and my package goes lost. At the moment I am awaiting on two parcels from O'Briens. All week they say they've rang my mobile and its not in service. It has been by my side all week and there are no missed calls or messages so that is a downright lie.

Now to cap off a really crappy day they say its been delivered (it hasn't). To a name I don't recognise. I really hope someone else gets to enjoy the craft beer box I bought for himself cos at this stage we won't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Their drivers have a very poor reputation. If I've a delivery on the way, I ring the depot as early as I can get them and ask them to hold it, then I go and collect. The office people in their southside depot (Sandyford Ind Estate, Dublin) are fine - efficient and friendly, it seems to be the drivers who are the weak link.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭molly dolly

I never have a problem with an post or littlewoods couriers. This is a joke. Really peed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I get dozens of parcels delivered by DPD every year, never have any issues. Sounds like your address is the issue.

Well its been that address for longer then I've been around. Between two reasonably sized towns and not in the complete backend of no where. If it were the first time I'd say nothing but its consistently happening and the presence of a post code made zilch difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

OP I suggest you ask DPD: What do I need to put on my address so that you can find my house?

e.g. you could add info, as in

Molly Dolly
    Ballywonka (NEAR SMIDGETOWN)
    Co. Wicksford

• Advertisement

Im sorry, your house is in one county and you put another county on your address. How do you expect people to deal with that? Maybe include GPS coordinates on your deliveries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Eircode?

Its on the border of two counties. An post determine the postal address as being where it is and its not a willy nilly thing me deciding the wholly confuse the situation. Its been like that since post started. Eircode didn't seem to improve it this year.

I cannot be the only person in Ireland with this issue and every other courier, taxi companys, the post man etc copes without it descending into a mega meltdown. But now the bigger concern is where my goods are. I've contacted both the sender and DPP's customers service and both are at a loss to explain whats happened.

Its on the border of two counties. An post determine the postal address as being where it is and its not a willy nilly thing me deciding the wholly confuse the situation and be awkward preferring one county over the other. I put the recognised postal address for the area so not quiet sure what else I could do. I think changing the address to
    Molly Dolly
    Ballywonka (NEAR SMIDGETOWN)
    Co. Wicksford but really Co Ballygobackwards is going to help.

Eircode didn't seem to improve it either.

I cannot be the only person in Ireland with this issue and every other courier, taxi companys, the post man etc copes without it descending into a mega meltdown. But now the bigger concern is where my goods are. I've contacted both the sender and DPP's customers service and both are at a loss to explain whats happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Unless you hired the courier to collect the goods from the shop it's up to the sender sort out the mis-delivery or replace the shipment or refund you the full cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get in touch with O'Briens and tell them that you haven't received your purchases. They are the people who have the contract with the courier.

I had a really bad experience with an online purchase from Master of Malt which was delivered via DPD. The package arrived leaking, with several of the bottles smashed. I contacted MOM with pictures, who reshipped the broken bottles immediately. I also cc'do DPD on the complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Im sorry, your house is in one county and you put another county on your address. How do you expect people to deal with that? Maybe include GPS coordinates on your deliveries.

This regularly happens near county boundaries and especially in towns that are near boundaries, Quite a lot of Graiguecullen is in County Laois but it is in the "postal" district of Co. Carlow and could very easily go "astray" if Co. Laois is used in the address. Even places like Killeshin which is about 6km inside Laois is in the Carlow postal district.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've had several poor experiences of DPD too.

Hope you get sorted.

Genealogy Forum Mod

foggy_lad wrote: »
    This regularly happens near county boundaries and especially in towns that are near boundaries, Quite a lot of Graiguecullen is in County Laois but it is in the "postal" district of Co. Carlow and could very easily go "astray" if Co. Laois is used in the address. Even places like Killeshin which is about 6km inside Laois is in the Carlow postal district.

We're the same. Postal address Carlow, County Wicklow. Got sorted eventually. They had some good staff working on it when the poorer staff sent it very wrong.

At least dh gets some nice craft beers over christmas.

Thanks everyone for their contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

I, too, have had a very bad experience with this company. I got a text on Wednesday morning to say my package would be delivered before 7pm that evening. I sat in all day to ensure delivery. At 6.30pm I checked online and it showed up as a failed delivery. No card etc was put through my door (I was there anyhow!).
    I rang their office and the lady attempted to contact the driver without success. I asked her to get the driver to ring me directly, which he did after hour or so. Firstly he claimed to have been there and then he said that he couldn't find the number. My house is on a well known street with the number visible!
    He then went on to promise me he would deliver it first thing next morning 9.30am.
    9.30 came and went. I text him on his number from the night before. He said he would deliver between 4-5pm and basically to p*ss off!
    Will not be willingly dealing with them again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

You pay peanuts you get monkeys. If I was driving around in a van for 12 hours a day for as little as 80 euro I wouldn't give a toss either. There is a reason they are the cheapest courier out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I have the exact same issue with not just DPD but Dhl as well.
    Many the time I've had to drive the 45 miles to their depot to collect stuff I needed and have waited 3 days while watching the tracking as each day it says address not found.
    This is after even ringing them and telling them where I live even though sometimes the driver has previously somehow managed to find my house.
    Then other times I get these 2 gems, no access to road or he rang but you didn't answer.

Dhl lost a mountain bike and the second one sent took a month to find me.
    No other real problems with any of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Rubbish company.

On three occasions we've had a driver pull a fast one on us. We live slightly off the beaten track and as soon as they realize this, they call me but actually only let the phone ring once, so I don't have a chance to answer it, and then make themselves unavailable for the next couple of hours as the office tries to call them. Oldest trick in the book.

Bástards.

At one stage during the last attempted delivery of my parcel, I called the Dublin depot 32 times in one hour and nobody even answered the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Superhorse wrote: »
    You pay peanuts you get monkeys. If I was driving around in a van for 12 hours a day for as little as 80 euro I wouldn't give a toss either. There is a reason they are the cheapest courier out there.

I smiled when I read this post, a friend of mine took a Jobs bridge role with this company.

He was put to work on day 1 doing deliveries, with a map of the area.
    His company contact mobile ran out of credit on day 3 and he then was supposed to use his own phone to ring customers and the depot without payment of his credit.

In many cases the driver isn't even getting your imagined figure of €80 a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I use these people for business and they are streets ahead of any others. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

dpd's drivers are not great, but the overall service is the best i've come across and i regularly get deliveries from lots of them. I'm a bit confused by the op's geographical versus address distinction so can't blame a computer programme not getting the subtleties there.

All this talk about how much the drivers are or are not getting paid is beside the point.

I'd like to be paid more, but I don't use that as an excuse to not do my job properly.

Do your job or find something else. Your rate of pay is of no concern to paying customers being given the run around.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    At one stage during the last attempted delivery of my parcel, I called the Dublin depot 32 times in one hour and nobody even answered the phone.

Have you nothing better to be doing? Why dont you use parcel motel or collect if you have issues getting deliveries.

Have you nothing better to be doing? Why dont you use parcel motel or collect if you have issues getting deliveries.

Than trying to make sure a €400 delivery actually gets delivered to my house? :confused:

The option of other companies does not negate the shít service from DPD and FYI the company that I ordered from picked the courier, not me.

Also, why should we have to collect just because a DPD driver can't use a phone or a map? What exactly are they being paid for if everyone collects?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Getting fed up with couriers using my shop as a collection point, 3 parcels dropped in yesterday with the usual oh the customer asked for them to be dropped in and then when they are being collected the customer says that they never asked for it to be dropped into our shop.

Worst thing is neither the courier or the customer but anything in our shop and we are basically handling and storing products for free.

Seriously considering charging a handling fee to the couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this thread as the OP's issue is resolved and it's just becoming a dumping ground.

OP - PM me or one of the other mods if you want the thread reopened.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have people nothing better to pay for than double delivery charges? We pay for delivery to our homes and some couriers seem to have an issue with this. The problem, and solution, lies with the courier.

That said, I actually find DHL the best at finding my address.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement