Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I receive a bank transfer!! Urgent

• 03-12-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm selling something to someone online and he wants to send the money to my bank. I'm with permenant tsb and I'm unsure what details I need to send him and I don't want to be scammed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Just send your BIC IBAN and your name - they cant do anything with that other than transfer money in.. They would need passwords etc to do anything other than send you money..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

He'll need your BIC and IBAN. No real danger of being scammed ... same account details are printed on every cheque, no one would ever pay by cheque if account details were all someone would need to scam you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Alanbyrne88

Laura_A wrote: »
    Just send your BIC IBAN and your name - they cant do anything with that other than transfer money in.. They would need passwords etc to do anything other than send you money..

Thanks

He'll need your BIC and IBAN. No real danger of being scammed ... same account details are printed on every cheque, no one would ever pay by cheque if account details were all someone would need to scam you.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Laura_A wrote: »

Tell that to Jeremy Clarkson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Tell that to Jeremy Clarkson.

Meh. Irish banks are governed by SEPA rules which allow you to recall direct debits on a whim. The danger of someone doing this on an Irish account isn't a real one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Exactly. There is no real risk by giving someone your IBAN and BIC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Meh. Irish banks are governed by SEPA rules which allow you to recall direct debits on a whim. The danger of someone doing this on an Irish account isn't a real one.

Why do you think the SEPA rules are more generous? Both sets of rules have provisions for immediate refunds of disputed DDs except that SEPA rules only provide for quibble free refunds for 8 weeks whereas the UK rules allow an unlimited timeframe. The difference may very well be a greater opportunity for DD fraud in the UK rather than tighter rules with SEPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭daheff

Marcusm wrote: »
    Why do you think the SEPA rules are more generous? Both sets of rules have provisions for immediate refunds of disputed DDs except that SEPA rules only provide for quibble free refunds for 8 weeks whereas the UK rules allow an unlimited timeframe. The difference may very well be a greater opportunity for DD fraud in the UK rather than tighter rules with SEPA.

SEPA DD rules allow reclaim up to 13 months in the case of fraud.

OP there is always a risk once you give your bank details to somebody (Especially over the internet). However, I would think the chances of somebody scamming your account is low. If you are really really worried set up a new account just for this transaction. Then close the account afterwards.

Well, if you can't spot a fraudulent DD within 8 weeks, I reckon you deserve to lose the money for your own negligence. However...
    daheff wrote: »

By all means, people should be cautious when it comes to their finance, but to suggest that there's any significant risk in giving someone your bank details is either ignorant or wilful scaremongering, neither of which benefits anyone.

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »

OP there is always a risk once you give your bank details to somebody (Especially over the internet). However, I would think the chances of somebody scamming your account is low. If you are really really worried set up a new account just for this transaction. Then close the account afterwards.
    Well, if you can't spot a fraudulent DD within 8 weeks, I reckon you deserve to lose the money for your own negligence. However...

By all means, people should be cautious when it comes to their finance, but to suggest that there's any significant risk in giving someone your bank details is either ignorant or wilful scaremongering, neither of which benefits anyone.

No scaremongering here; I'm just challenging the suggestion that the SEPA rules are such as to make the UK DD scams inoperable. As for highlighting the 8 weeks and 13 months limits, the UK guarantee has neither of these limits.

No scaremongering here; I'm just challenging the suggestion that the SEPA rules are such as to make the UK DD scams inoperable. As for highlighting the 8 weeks and 13 months limits, the UK guarantee has neither of these limits.

What relevance does that have to the OP?

What relevance does that have to the OP?

Read your own initial post; I was merely challenging your assertion of the superior security afforded by the SEPA rules. I merely challenged your tangential assertion!

Read your own initial post; I was merely challenging your assertion of the superior security afforded by the SEPA rules. I merely challenged your tangential assertion!

My post is directly related to the discussion. The OP said he's with ptsb, an Irish bank to which SEPA rules apply, and is scared of being scammed, making my post entirely relevant. For some reason you're going on about UK banks having a better system, which is completely irrelevant to the OP's situation. I'm all for a debate on whatever but, in this thread, it's detracting from the conversation rather than adding to it. Anyway, pretty sure the OP hasn't come back to the thread since so hopefully he got sorted.

My post is directly related to the discussion. The OP said he's with ptsb, an Irish bank to which SEPA rules apply, and is scared of being scammed, making my post entirely relevant. For some reason you're going on about UK banks having a better system, which is completely irrelevant to the OP's situation. I'm all for a debate on whatever but, in this thread, it's detracting from the conversation rather than adding to it. Anyway, pretty sure the OP hasn't come back to the thread since so hopefully he got sorted.

This is really what you think?

Someone else, not me, posted a reference to some DD frauds in the UK and you, without any supporting references, suggested it couldn't happen under SEPA. I simply pointed out that SEPA was no stronger on anti fraud measures and, in fact, was more of a hassle for those who do not check their accounts frequently. If my posts are irrelevant then so are yours.

Irrespective, the point is that no system of this nature is entirely fault free but that DD frauds are ten targeted at individuals for reasons other than extracting funds from them.

I GOT SORTED IN THE END.

Advertisement