Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android OS player

Options
  • 03-12-2015 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

So I've been looking into what it would take to get Kodi and Netflix on the same HTPC and working with a universal remote. It seems an Amazon Fire box would do as would any Android OS box as you could add either Kodi and Netflix as apps (stop me when I get it wrong).

I take it you can't just install Android OS on your HTPC? Assuming not, is there hardware out there that can run Android OS with a wired network connection that is remote control capable? nVidea Sheild maybe one where you could just install both apps and happy days? Can anyone recommend other options or where to look?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

So I've been looking into what it would take to get Kodi and Netflix on the same HTPC and working with a universal remote. It seems an Amazon Fire box would do as would any Android OS box as you could add either Kodi and Netflix as apps (stop me when I get it wrong).

I take it you can't just install Android OS on your HTPC? Assuming not, is there hardware out there that can run Android OS with a wired network connection that is remote control capable? nVidea Sheild maybe one where you could just install both apps and happy days? Can anyone recommend other options or where to look?

Whats your Budget. I am typing this on my nvidia shield which just got delivered. In the hour since I got it I have been able to setup kodi and all addons sorted. Chrome, netflix and I am blown away by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

How do you find the remote given the lack of buttons. That's the one thing about the viable choices (Fire TV, Shield) is the remote is super-simplified. Getting to settings like subtitles, audio delay, info, playing trailers seem like they could be difficult on such a simple remote. I know in v16 they are thinking of addressing that by adding long-press actions due to the lack of buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

why do you want android though? you can install and run Kodi on windows, linux, android etc, or am i misunderstanding? if you absolutely want android then you can get dual booting systems with both android and windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

How do you find the remote given the lack of buttons. That's the one thing about the viable choices (Fire TV, Shield) is the remote is super-simplified. Getting to settings like subtitles, audio delay, info, playing trailers seem like they could be difficult on such a simple remote. I know in v16 they are thinking of addressing that by adding long-press actions due to the lack of buttons.

the remotes great for browsing, a good kodi build will only need directionals select back and menu. I have a k400r keyboard/touchpad for web/typing.
    I am using a 360 controller for gaming, streaming from my rig is very good. better than my experiences with steam streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

why do you want android though? you can install and run Kodi on windows, linux, android etc, or am i misunderstanding? if you absolutely want android then you can get dual booting systems with both android and windows.

Well I'm on a quest to try and get Kodi and Netflix on the same machine used by the same universal remote. From what I can see the only people who pull this off have Android OS (or Amazon Fire) so can use Netflix and Kodi apps together. Downside there is most of these devices have a very limited remote.
    I don't want to use a keyboard to keep things wife/kid friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

You can install Netflix & Kodi on most Android boxes.
    However the Netflix app works the best on the Amazon devices.
    They've customised Netflix to work with the remote. If you install Netflix on on a normal Android box you get the phone / tablet version (i.e. is annoying to use with a remote and probably better with a mouse). This is a Netflix issue. They only certify their apps for certain devices. It's been a couple of months since I bothered to look into this so if the situation has changed I'd be happy to hear it.

It's wife / kid friendly :)

Kodi works the same on most devices and requires a small bit of tuition.

The remotes for these devices are fine for navigating around your media player. For using apps that expect touch input they're fiddly but Netflix (on Amazon fire) and Kodi don't expect touch input.

Advertisement