Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I replace my UPC/Virgin modem with one I buy online?

Options
  • 03-12-2015 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Not talking about adding on a router to my exiting modem, but completely replacing it.

I want to change up my current Cisco EPC3925 to something different. I'm having Apple TV networking issues for months (drops off network twice daily) and tried lots of things to fix them, including switching to IPV6, forward specific ports upon Apple's request, enabling UPnP and other things. In the end Apple gave me a new Apple TV and Virgin game me a new modem (the same model, something they assured me would not happen when I asked them to).

I have done some additional research online and it appears this model or modem is known to give issues like these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

irelandjnr wrote: »
    Not talking about adding on a router to my exiting modem, but completely replacing it.

I want to change up my current Cisco EPC3925 to something different. I'm having Apple TV networking issues for months (drops off network twice daily) and tried lots of things to fix them, including switching to IPV6, forward specific ports upon Apple's request, enabling UPnP and other things. In the end Apple gave me a new Apple TV and Virgin game me a new modem (the same model, something they assured me would not happen when I asked them to).

I have done some additional research online and it appears this model or modem is known to give issues like these.

No, you cannot replace the modem/router you are issued unless it is another issued by Virgin, the reason for this is because the hardware is tied to your account and it how it is authenticated on the network.

What you can do though is bridge another, better router. But you will always have Virgins equipment in the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭irelandjnr

What you can do though is bridge another, better router. But you will always have Virgins equipment in the loop.

Appreciate your quick response. The wireless network/router aspect of the Cisco box is not the issue, but the modem part of the box. I added on an Apple router to use for my network but it didn't change the issue. The ATV drops off the network on a bi-daily basis and the only way to get it back on is to restart the modem.

I don't know the technicalities of it, but somehow the modem gets overloaded and, in layman's terms, pushes the ATV off the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The 3925 craps out because one of the components overheats. Strap a small fan to the top of the casing and you'll get stable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not the modem part of the box that's the problem, that works perfectly, it's a combination of it overheating and also it's software screwing up when it has to do to much routing / NAT'ing to do.

You can power the fan off the Cisco's USB port either by lashing up a USB to fan cable yourself, or do what I did and buy one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-A-male-to-Fan-2-Pin-3-Pin-3pin-4-Pin-4pin-Adapter-Cable-for-5V-/151441838842?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:3160

Then just a bog standard fan on top of the case, I had an old 120mm one I had lying around and Bob's your uncle.

I have a separate router now, with the Cisco bridged, but I still keep the fan on it just in case. I don't want it expiring prematurely, those things are like gold dust :)

Thanks guys. Going to try turning the modem onto its side to see it that dissipates heat.

It's definitely cooler on its side.

• Advertisement

Just to let you guys know, so far in the 21 hours since I turned my Virgin modem up on its side to allow heat to dissipate better my Apple TV hasn't dropped off the network. Let's see how the next 5-10 days go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Just to let you guys know, so far in the 21 hours since I turned my Virgin modem up on its side to allow heat to dissipate better my Apple TV hasn't dropped off the network. Let's see how the next 5-10 days go.

You might want to heed ED_E's advice and get the fan for it anyway.

Note Alun's statement:
    Alun wrote: »
    ... I have a separate router now, with the Cisco bridged, but I still keep the fan on it just in case. I don't want it expiring prematurely, those things are like gold dust smile.png

I'm curious, do you have it vertically now?

I suppose that could be better as you'd have a convection current, but passively I would have thought it'd be the same either way.

ED E wrote: »
    I'm curious, do you have it vertically now?

I suppose that could be better as you'd have a convection current, but passively I would have thought it'd be the same either way.

Yes vertically. Noticeably less hot at hottest points. 8" gap left and right and rear and 2' feet gap above.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    You might want to heed ED_E's advice and get the fan for it anyway.

Note Alun's statement:

Perhaps you're right. Just concerned about a fan there spinning 24x7. How much energy would that use? Would it not make morse sense to use it until it dies at which point Virgin are obligated to provide another. I've had this router a week and I have the last one for 9 years and that will still working fine, other than this specific issue which the brand new one had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Perhaps you're right. Just concerned about a fan there spinning 24x7. How much energy would that use? Would it not make morse sense to use it until it dies at which point Virgin are obligated to provide another. I've had this router a week and I have the last one for 9 years and that will still working fine, other than this specific issue which the brand new one had.

I can't speak to VM modems myself (I'm a WISP subscriber), but I'll let Alun explain why you would want to keep this one. If it died VM might just issue you with an even worse model (they have several apparently) :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you bridged the 3925? I have mine bridged with an Asus router and have never had any problems with the Apple tv either connected by wifi or ethernet to the Asus. ( I notice you said that you added an Apple router but not clear if you bridged the 3925)

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I can't speak to VM modems myself (I'm a WISP subscriber), but I'll let Alun explain why you would want to keep this one. If it died VM might just issue you with an even worse model (they have several apparently) :rolleyes:.
    I can explain that one. :)

All of VM's modem/routers are rubbish, but the EPC3925 is the only one that can be bridged easily so it's the easiest one to get working with another device. Seems the Ubee can't be done at all now and the Thomson and Technicolor are hit and miss.

Karsini wrote: »
    I can explain that one. :)

All of VM's modem/routers are rubbish, but the EPC3925 is the only one that can be bridged easily so it's the easiest one to get working with another device. Seems the Ubee can't be done at all now and the Thomson and Technicolor are hit and miss.

That's it exactly.

Perhaps you're right. Just concerned about a fan there spinning 24x7. How much energy would that use?
    Bugger all in the grand scheme of things. I have mine connected to a UPS which can display the power drawn on the display in Watts. If I unplug the fan it doesn't even register, so less than 1W.

Less than 1W. Wow.

Which USB fan should I use to cool my Virgin Media Cisco piece of crap modem then people?

Most home routers use about 6w, think the ciscos VM supplied draw 14w from memory, so one second of your electric shower or immersion heater is worth days of them being on, a small 80mm fan is so inconsequential it wouldnt even be worth your time to measure it with a multimeter.

If you get a 12v fan and use USB(5v) it only spins at really low RPM, just enough to push a tiny bit of air but enough to do the job.

Most home routers use about 6w, think the ciscos VM supplied draw 14w from memory, so one second of your electric shower or immersion heater is worth days of them being on, a small 80mm fan is so inconsequential it wouldnt even be worth your time to measure it with a multimeter.

If you get a 12v fan and use USB(5v) it only spins at really low RPM, just enough to push a tiny bit of air but enough to do the job.

Interesting. Which fan would you recommend?

Whatever fan is closest to hand, I just pulled one out of a box and snipped the cable.

If you don't have any, look for any 12v 80mm fan thats cheap.

Whatever fan is closest to hand, I just pulled one out of a box and snipped the cable.

If you don't have any, look for any 12v 80mm fan thats cheap.

Just ordered the Arctic Breeze 92 mm USB fan on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

1. Will i get the same speeds if i bridge another router onto the Upc 3925 router. My current package is 360mb via ethernet and want the same speed in another room as all my devices are in it, 2. and do i just have to plug in the new router in another room or 3. do i need to have some equipment setup in the new room. Thanks

You dont need to bridge, just extend the network. If you only need wired connections in that room then just buy a 1Gig switch. If you need wifi too, then buy an access point instead.

How did you get 360Mb on the Cisco? Only Compal units support it according to what we've heard...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

You dont need to bridge, just extend the network. If you only need wired connections in that room then just buy a 1Gig switch. If you need wifi too, then buy an access point instead.

How did you get 360Mb on the Cisco? Only Compal units support it according to what we've heard...

Can you define extending, i bought a tp link powerline for the room i wish to put a router in but the speed is barely different and i dont know why or how to get the speed to the maximum potential the powerline should be at. Virgin media offered it to me when i rang about technical difficulties the other day

Ok, I got that fan it's spinning away there. I've been using it there days now. The modem is positively cool to the touch, but it didn't fix the issue. Getting a better fan won't solve the issue as this one is well good enough. Is there a way to buy a MODEM and replace my Virgin Media (UPC) modem? It's my only option left at this stage. I've tried EVERYTHING else.

No, you can't. Virgin Media only allow their own CPE to connect. If you attach your own device, it won't be tied to any account on their system so won't work. And they won't enable it for you either.

Karsini wrote: »
    No, you can't. Virgin Media only allow their own CPE to connect. If you attach your own device, it won't be tied to any account on their system so won't work. And they won't enable it for you either.

Let's just imaging I can convince them to enable this. What technical stuff would be required on their part?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Let's just imaging I can convince them to enable this. What technical stuff would be required on their part?

They would need to add your new modem's mac address to the whitelist, which they will never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

It's absolutely mad that you cannot use your own modem. I have never seen this restriction in a consumer ISP. Maybe it's just this company? When I asked customer service why I couldn't use my modem, they said it was a support issue. I even told them I would pay for their premium support and they said it wasn't possible. sigh.

There is a technical reason for it. With ADSL you have your own line, its just yours, mess it up and its of little consequence to anyone else. With cable its a shared medium, one modem thats failing can take down 2-20 subscribers. Its very control freak, but its not completely unfounded.

The same way with eir FTTH and probably Siro you will most likely be only allowed to use an open eir ONT. GPON again is partially shared medium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭branners69

As you cant change the DNS settings on the VM routers, would bridging get around this?

Advertisement