Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the tower been built near Vistakon For?

• 03-12-2015 7:21pm
    Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Passed there the other evening...is it a wind turbine or telecoms?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's a wind turbine. It was in the Leader a few weeks ago.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

I don't live in the city....but wow, unusual see one that big in suburbia, (I know it's in a industrial area but houses near by)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Boradriver

I was wondering what it was as I passed it yesterday, then saw the blades on it this morning. They're really putting it together quite quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Boradriver wrote: »
    I was wondering what it was as I passed it yesterday, then saw the blades on it this morning. They're really putting it together quite quickly.

Passing at 5:30 yesterday evening...no blades..passing this morning...blades...the sneaky feckers using the cover of darkness. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

was planning permission not rejected for the wind turbine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Tockman wrote: »
    was planning permission not rejected for the wind turbine?

Twas granted last year. Refused in 2012 i think.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Boradriver wrote: »

I remember once seeing a truck struggling to make its way onto the Dock Road after the roundabout from the Shannon Bridge. It was carrying the huge, pre-fab pieces of one of these things. Probably very little assembly to do on-site!

An File wrote: »
    I remember once seeing a truck struggling to make its way onto the Dock Road after the roundabout from the Shannon Bridge. It was carrying the huge, pre-fab pieces of one of these things. Probably very little assembly to do on-site!

Worked on them the odd time for a few years when doing my apprenticeship. It's mad how quick they fire them up once the ground work is done. The transport is one of the hardest parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

40 Kph winds due tomorrow, should give it a good workout :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Anyone got pics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

dashoonage wrote: »
    Passing at 5:30 yesterday evening...no blades..passing this morning...blades...the sneaky feckers using the cover of darkness. :P

Finished training down in Bohs which have their pitches along side this. The blades were actually being put up as we were training. By the time training was over the crane had moved away and they were turning.

Its designed to generate 3MW a year!

cronin_j wrote: »
    Finished training down in Bohs which have their pitches along side this. The blades were actually being put up as we were training. By the time training was over the crane had moved away and they were turning.

Its designed to generate 3MW a year!

3 megawatts is its rating presumably, but the actual annual output would be something like 10000 Megawatt-hours I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

I work there and it is ENORMOUS and cool :)
    Seen a video of the pieces being delivered by truck, quite impressive from the air. The column was in 2 pieces. They had the upper piece on its end next to it before they installed it, so you could see the cross section as you drove by.
    You can now see it from the dublin road too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭jsd1004

phill106 wrote: »
    I work there and it is ENORMOUS and cool :)
    Seen a video of the pieces being delivered by truck, quite impressive from the air. The column was in 2 pieces. They had the upper piece on its end next to it before they installed it, so you could see the cross section as you drove by.
    You can now see it from the dublin road too !

I passed it today. Ridiculous thing. It needed i think 900 tonnes of concrete for its base. The amount of CO2 emitted in its construction will i guess never be returned in its lifespan.

jsd1004 wrote:
    I passed it today. Ridiculous thing. It needed i think 900 tonnes of concrete for its base. The amount of CO2 emitted in its construction will i guess never be returned in its lifespan.

You'd be wrong there. The amount of CO2 produced in the construction of turbines is dwarfed by the amount displaced over their lifetimes.

zulutango wrote: »
    You'd be wrong there. The amount of CO2 produced in the construction of turbines is dwarfed by the amount displaced over their lifetimes.

A quote would be nice ;-)

http://stopthesethings.com/2014/08/16/how-much-co2-gets-emitted-to-build-a-wind-turbine/

Im all in favour of alternative energy generation sources but without a means of reliably capturing excess energy produced while there is wind these will never work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

jsd1004 wrote: »
    A quote would be nice ;-)

http://stopthesethings.com/2014/08/16/how-much-co2-gets-emitted-to-build-a-wind-turbine/

Im all in favour of alternative energy generation sources but without a means of reliably capturing excess energy produced while there is wind these will never work.

An article on an anti wind power website is hardly a reliable source.

An article on an anti wind power website is hardly a reliable source.

I do not know any non influenced pro Wind Power sites!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

Of course coal burning power plants don't need any steel or concrete in their construction.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

We need rain powered alternative energy for Limerick.

• Advertisement

VikingG wrote: »
    Of course coal burning power plants don't need any steel or concrete in their construction.......

Yes but these are not replacing coal power plants. They are being built with subsidies and do not reduce our dependence on said fossil fuel plants. They would never be built without subsidies. Believe me I'm all in favour of alternative power but these are not the answer. Not at the moment anyway unless technology improves regarding energy storage.

Yes but these are not replacing coal power plants. They are being built with subsidies and do not reduce our dependence on said fossil fuel plants. They would never be built without subsidies. Believe me I'm all in favour of alternative power but these are not the answer. Not at the moment anyway unless technology improves regarding energy storage.

I'm not sure how you deduce that they don't reduce our dependance on fossil fuel plant? Also, yes, there are subsidies for wind farms, just as there are subsidies for fossil fuel plants. I'm ok with subsidising clean energy technology such as wind farms and I'd rather we only subsidised those, to be honest. The energy storage argument doesn't hold unless you're talking about having most of your energy coming from wind power, and we're not. There is sufficient buffer in the grid itself such that storage isn't needed. Also, the interconnector with the UK means that we can export excess energy when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

Mr.Carter wrote: »
    We need rain powered alternative energy for Limerick.

We have in Ardnacrusha.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

I'm not sure how you deduce that they don't reduce our dependance on fossil fuel plant? Also, yes, there are subsidies for wind farms, just as there are subsidies for fossil fuel plants. I'm ok with subsidising clean energy technology such as wind farms and I'd rather we only subsidised those, to be honest. The energy storage argument doesn't hold unless you're talking about having most of your energy coming from wind power, and we're not. There is sufficient buffer in the grid itself such that storage isn't needed. Also, the interconnector with the UK means that we can export excess energy when necessary.

For every megawatt of electricity generated by wind we have to have a megawatt of coal, oil or gas on standby (ie burning fuel but not producing electricity) to be able to kick in at a moments notice in case the wind drops. Coal, oil and gas power plants take hours to get up to temperature so they have to be running anyway no matter how much wind energy we produce.

I'm am all for renewable energy but wind will only work if it is used in conjunction with massive amounts of fast acting power plants like hydro, nuclear, pumped storage etc and/or extremely high capacity interconnections with the UK and Europe. We don't have these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

mart 23 wrote: »
    We have in Ardnacrusha.

Must be making loads of electricity these days:pac:

Goofy wrote: »
    For every megawatt of electricity generated by wind we have to have a megawatt of coal, oil or gas on standby (ie burning fuel but not producing electricity) to be able to kick in at a moments notice in case the wind drops. Coal, oil and gas power plants take hours to get up to temperature so they have to be running anyway no matter how much wind energy we produce.

That myth has been debunked many times.
    Goofy wrote: »
    I'm am all for renewable energy but wind will only work if it is used in conjunction with massive amounts of fast acting power plants like hydro, nuclear, pumped storage etc and/or extremely high capacity interconnections with the UK and Europe. We don't have these.

Obviously as you increase the penetration those issues come more into play, but nobody is talking about just using wind to supply our energy needs. It's an important part of the energy generation mix, and it works well. We do have quite a bit of hydro, some pumped storage and interconnectors with the UK, by the way. We also have combined cycle gas turbine plant which can respond in about 7 seconds.

That myth has been debunked many times.

Obviously as you increase the penetration those issues come more into play, but nobody is talking about just using wind to supply our energy needs. It's an important part of the energy generation mix, and it works well. We do have quite a bit of hydro, some pumped storage and interconnectors with the UK, by the way. We also have combined cycle gas turbine plant which can respond in about 7 seconds.

Thats great then . So why dont we shut down moneypoint and all the other filthy stations and rely on these and wind turbines?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/10121584/Wind-power-has-failed-to-deliver-what-it-promised.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I think its disgusting looking and completely un-necessary to have it where it is....its an obvious ego trip as it could have been placed anywhere (suitable) in the country and used to reduce their electricity bill thru the grid.

All the high ground in the country and they put it in the lowest part of the shannon basin, almost a flood plain & in a city limit to boot.. this stinks of something and the planning dept have again lived up to expectations....

I think its disgusting looking and completely un-necessary to have it where it is....its an obvious ego trip as it could have been placed anywhere (suitable) in the country and used to reduce their electricity bill thru the grid.

All the high ground in the country and they put it in the lowest part of the shannon basin, almost a flood plain & in a city limit to boot.. this stinks of something and the planning dept have again lived up to expectations....

Presumably it's Vistakon's own turbine and is offsetting their energy costs. It would need to be on site for that. They would have applied for planning and there isn't really any legal or legitimate reason for them not to get it.

• Advertisement

Thats great then . So why dont we shut down moneypoint and all the other filthy stations and rely on these and wind turbines?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/10121584/Wind-power-has-failed-to-deliver-what-it-promised.html

Seriously, have another read of what I said.

Advertisement