Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the tower been built near Vistakon For?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

zulutango wrote: »
    Presumably it's Vistakon's own turbine and is offsetting their energy costs. It would need to be on site for that. They would have applied for planning and there isn't really any legal or legitimate reason for them not to get it.

That's not exactly true is it, a turbine does not have to be on site to offset a companies energy usage. With the advent of smart meters the electricity can be generated anywhere fed into the grid and extracted elsewhere.

If this was not the case every turbine would have to be located where the energy was used.

The legitimate reasons for them not to get this massive turbine were the reasons planning was refused earlier.

Multi nationals in Ireland tend to get what they want when they want it regardless of the wishes of the people it impacts on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That's not exactly true is it, a turbine does not have to be on site to offset a companies energy usage. With the advent of smart meters the electricity can be generated anywhere fed into the grid and extracted elsewhere.

If this was not the case every turbine would have to be located where the energy was used.

The legitimate reasons for them not to get this massive turbine were the reasons planning was refused earlier.

Multi nationals in Ireland tend to get what they want when they want it regardless of the wishes of the people it impacts on.

Planning for a larger turbine was refused, but was granted for this. So, if you say they refused the larger one for legitimate reasons, then you obviously must accept that they granted permission legitimately too.

As for smart metering, no I don't think that's true but would welcome the input of somebody involved in the small scale generation sector to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

Planning for a larger turbine was refused, but was granted for this. So, if you say they refused the larger one for legitimate reasons, then you obviously must accept that they granted permission legitimately too.

As for smart metering, no I don't think that's true but would welcome the input of somebody involved in the small scale generation sector to clarify.

Even this turbine planning permission which is not very much smaller then the original, was refused by council's senior planner, but was overridden by council manager Conn murray. So it seems to be a case where big companies can get there own way.

Tockman wrote: »
    Even this turbine planning permission which is not very much smaller then the original, was refused by council's senior planner, but was overridden by council manager Conn murray. So it seems to be a case where big companies can get there own way.

Fair enough. But were An Bord Pleanála not the ones who have it the go ahead second time around?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

Fair enough. But were An Bord Pleanála not the ones who have it the go ahead second time around?

No Limerick council gave go ahead. An Bord Pleanála surprisingly didn't get involved second time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

From my limited knowledge the people of Castletroy and Monaleen, Clonlara still have 2 years after construction to lodge complaints if they feel aggrieved by noise, flicker or light pollution...
    This may not be over yet.

Tockman wrote: »
    No Limerick council gave go ahead. An Bord Pleanála surprisingly didn't get involved second time round.

I think they'd only get involved if an appeal was made to them, so I guess that didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

I actually like it. It suits the industrial area I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Seriously, have another read of what I said.
    I did, My question was when we could start reducing or shutting our use of fossil power plants?

jsd1004 wrote: »
    I did, My question was when we could start reducing or shutting our use of fossil power plants?

We have been shutting down plenty of them over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

It's a disgrace to have it in such a built up area. Best of luck to people trying to watch satellite and get good mobile phone coverage round there, ask people in west limerick who live near them, they are always noisy and a blight on their daily lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Any photo's of it yet? .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

hobie14 wrote: »

It renders all electronic devices in its vicinity inoperable apparently!! And it has magnets on its tail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

hobie14 wrote: »
    Here you go

dddlqr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

well done Phill .... it's great to see what everyone is getting so excited about ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I saw it today. Tis fair tall isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

It renders all electronic devices in its vicinity inoperable apparently!! And it has magnets on its tail!

My phone works grand beside it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

killwill wrote: »
    My phone works grand beside it anyway!

Doesn't it sound like Liam Neeson chasing a load of hens around in a barrel though? The Beast of Castletroy.

Advertisement