Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to Win 10 but on new SSD?

Options
  • 03-12-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi, as title describes I want to upgrade to Windows 10, but have recently purchased a 500GB SSD and want to install windows onto that.

Can I 'migrate' the upgrade to the new drive once its connected?
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lord Snow

I think you can. Windows 10 is only free for upgrading from Windows 7/8.1 to windows 10. recently, I heard the latest build of Windows 10 can directly install to SSD without activation issue, but I have never tried that. I think your best shot is to migrate Windows 8.1/7 to SSD using a freeware such AOMEI Backupper Standard. And then upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on SSD. If anything goes wrong with windows 10, you still have the windows 8.1 on your hard drive.
    If you want a fresh install Windows 10 on your ssd, you need to create a boot disk using Windows media creation tool. just boot it to fresh install windows 10 on your ssd. Just click skip when it asks you for a key. After the install completes, Windows 10 will be activated automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

I may opt for the clean install method, how does it determine if you have a valid key if you are installing on a 'clean' SSD drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Upgrade on current drive
    MS Registers motherboard to that licence
    Fit SSD
    Clean install
    MS matches motherboard, auto activates.

Job done.

Advertisement