Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appliance supplied with a two pin plug only

Options
  • 03-12-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Just bought an electric toothbrush from Boots. Opened box to find I couldn't plug it in as the 2 pin plug narrower than opening on a 3 pin socket. Called them up and they say I have to buy an adaptor. Looked on the Internet and find that retailers must supply appliances with a 3 pin fused plug in Ireland or a suitable fused adaptor S.I. No. 525 of 1997. So I call them back and quote them the statute and they say thanks for the info and do I want to call in for a plug. I'll call in yes but it's an adaptor I need as I thought from a safety standpoint the whole idea behind fixed plugs on appliances was to prevent accidents from incorrectly wired plugs.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Am I missing something here? Can't believe Boots would have got this wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

It has a 2 pin plug so it can be used in a bathroom shaver socket. Afaik 3 pin sockets are illegal in bathrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah they are meant for shaver sockets in bathrooms, don't know the legality of not having a standard plug but they are designed for bathroom use so the 2 pin type is suitable for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tele2

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah they are meant for shaver sockets in bathrooms, don't know the legality of not having a standard plug but they are designed for bathroom use so the 2 pin type is suitable for that.

From citizensinformation.ie

....The standard plugs in Ireland are 3 pin IS411 (BS 1363) type. You are entitled to expect that any electrical item that you buy in Ireland comes with a 3 pin plug. If it does not the item may be considered "not fit for its purpose" as per the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980. Never attempt to place a two pin plug in a three pin socket. The Electricity Supply Board has more information on Safety in the Home....

It's prob legal alright but the lead is so short I can't imagine anyone charging it in a mirror shaver socket as the base wouldn't sit on the side of a sink basin and I would think that it'd be unstable to plAce it on top of the mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

As ceegee has already stated, they are designed to be plugged into bathroom shaver outlets.

As such they are compliant with S.I. 525 of 1997

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/525/made/en/print
    Excluded Electrical Devices.

5. Any non-rewireable or any moulded-on Europlug (that is to say any plug conforming with I.S./EN 50075) which is designed for the purpose of connecting to a shaver supply unit conforming to I.S./EN 60742 : 1990, Isolating Transformers and Safety Isolating Transformers Requirements.

You can purchase fused adapters quite cheaply if you want to plug it into a standard outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

tele2 wrote: »
    It's prob legal alright but the lead is so short I can't imagine anyone charging it in a mirror shaver socket as the base wouldn't sit on the side of a sink basin and I would think that it'd be unstable to plAce it on top of the mirror

It shouldn't be left at the side of the sink as electricity and water aren't great together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Cut it off and put a proper plug on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

A shaver socket works on the principal of electrical separation, i.e. the secondary is isolated from earth and therefore there is no shock potential without simultaneously contacting both phases.

However, many shaver sockets are not designed to be used with a constant load such as an electric toothbrush being connected the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I had one if those, only needed charging about once a week IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Yes, me and 1,000s of others. Electric (mains) shavers and electric toothbrushes all come with two-pin plugs for the bathroom shaver socket.
    Am I missing something here?

Clearly you are.
    Can't believe Boots would have got this wrong?

If you bought the same appliance from DID, Currys or Amazon UK, you'd find the same plug supplied, it's nothing to do with Boots.

Buy that adapter from a pound shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

coylemj wrote:
    If you bought the same appliance from DID, Currys or Amazon UK, you'd find the same plug supplied, it's nothing to do with Boots.

+1

Isolation transformers in shaver lights are there for your safety, it's two pin so you can keep it in the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

3-pin adapters for these are easy to come by and very cheap. It's small little fused plug. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuse-Adaptor-Plug-Shaver-Toothbrush/dp/B018POQRYK

You'll pick these up in any hardware, and often in a supermarket for a couple of euro.

You're better off not chopping off the existing plug because then you'll need another adapter if you bring it on holiday, etc.

Advertisement