Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thumb drives not working

Options
  • 03-12-2015 9:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

They used to work on my computer but not anymore. My USB ports definitely work. When I plug in any of my thumb drives, they won't show up in "This PC".

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Correction, it's my Micro SD to USB things that don't work. My thumb drives do work. Same thing really. I have tried using different Micro SD cards and none of them work. They work if I put them in a Micro SD to SD adapter but I need them to be in USB format if you know what I mean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Have a look in the end as there may be some fluff or dirt on the contacts use a cocktail stick to remove

Well scrap that above so. :)

Why not copy the files to the USB if there is no SD slot on the device you need to use it on

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What happens if you put the same drive in another PC do they work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Why not copy the files to the USB if there is no SD slot on the device you need to use it on

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
    What happens if you put the same drive in another PC do they work?

Yes. But before you give me the obvious solution, I need it to work on this PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Okay what are you trying to do? Why can you not use the SD card in the SD adapter rather than on usb

Is it a USB SD card adapter you are using that is not working

Okay what are you trying to do? Why can you not use the SD card in the SD adapter rather than on usb

Is it a USB SD card adapter you are using that is not working

I need to use a certain program to write stuff to my Micro SD card to work with the device I'm using but the program only works on USB devices.

I need to use a Micro SD to USB adapter and I have like 5 of them but they all stopped working about a week ago. I have no idea why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Could it be that your pc isnt recognising the usb adaptor as an ordinary thumb drive?
    When its plugged in, go into Computer Management/Device manager and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark beside it, try Update drivers if there is.

Satriale wrote: »
    Could it be that your pc isnt recognising the usb adaptor as an ordinary thumb drive?
    When its plugged in, go into Computer Management/Device manager and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark beside it, try Update drivers if there is.

I don't see any yellow exclamation beside anything there.

I think I may know what caused this. A week ago one of my Micro SD cards stopped working (I don't know if it got physically damaged or got corrupted). I plugged it into my PC using an adapter and it said that it would have to be formatted to be used. I tried formatting it but it kept saying it couldn't complete the format (because the Micro SD card was screwed). I believe that this may have messed something up and caused my computer to not be able to read Micro SD to USB things. Every other USB device works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Try opening Disk Management, plug in the device and see if it is coming up there without a drive letter. Assign one if there isnt.

Satriale wrote: »
    Try opening Disk Management, plug in the device and see if it is coming up there without a drive letter. Assign one if there isnt.

It doesn't come up.

Honestly, this is annoying but I can survive without getting them to work on this computer. Thanks for your time.

P.S. I'm running windows 10 on this computer so maybe it's a bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A temporary work around would be to insert the SD card in to a phone or tablet and then connect that device to the PC with the USB connection.

• Advertisement

A temporary work around would be to insert the SD card in to a phone or tablet and then connect that device to the PC with the USB connection.

But I won't be able to write stuff to the card through the phone. And yes, I mean write stuff, not copy and paste. :p

Advertisement