Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does it feel like to give birth?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭pooch90

Wow, these are the things you don't read in the baby books!
    Terrifying,horrifying but at least now I know that they can/might happen.
    4 weeks left til due date, will keep rubbing oil in the special places ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh and just on the not scaring mothers to be note; I got fierce upset when they said I needed to be sectioned because they go through what could potentially go wrong. So I was listening to baby's heart beat falling off and them telling me the likelihood of X,y,z happening. Of course you are not listening to what those chances actually are, you just hear the scary words and have to sign the form. From the time I was brought down to theatre until I had my baby in my arms I felt nothing but safe and cared for. I wouldn't get upset over it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Yeah my labour was terrifying at times, lucky to avoid a section only by the grace of the speed he came but I felt very supported by staff (even though I yelled at a nurse who was telling me to pull on my legs while trying to push!!). I gave birth in the early morning and had the on call SHO and two other docs plus two midwifes with me and even when things weren't going well they were great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

To add in another thing on the whole first poo: do not overdo the lactulose! One of the girls in the bed opposite me was so so afraid of it she got double doses of it: and then had an accident. The poor thing was traumatised...

I thought the whole pee thing was in case you pass any clots? Which I did after both mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

cyning wrote: »
    I thought the whole pee thing was in case you pass any clots? Which I did after both mine!

Clots, you mean like as part of lochia? Or something else?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

cyning wrote: »
    To add in another thing on the whole first poo: do not overdo the lactulose! One of the girls in the bed opposite me was so so afraid of it she got double doses of it: and then had an accident. The poor thing was traumatised...

They ended up giving me a suppository to make me go, but neglected to tell me that within 15 mins of getting it I'd be going whether or not I wanted to! (I thought it would make me go later on in the day in the comfort of my own home) They gave it to me just as we were about to leave the hospital, but luckily my hubby had brought pre-maternity trousers for me and had to run to the shops to get other ones, so I was still in the hospital and had an en suite bathroom right beside me. Was still a photo finish though. If it wasn't for the trousers, I'd probably have pooped myself in the car on Merrion Square!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Clots, you mean like as part of lochia? Or something else?

As part of lochia... I passed v large clots with both of mine so much so on my second there as a question about the placenta. So I always just assumed that was why! Midwives said its normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

So yeah speaking of poos, did anyone else poo during the actual labour?:eek: I did on my first and I still get the horrors thinking about it!!!

No other part of the experience of giving birth made me feel embarrassed apart from when the smell of poo filled the room and the midwife arrived over with paper to clean me up, and not just once! :o:eek::D

Vel wrote: »
    So yeah speaking of poos, did anyone else poo during the actual labour?:eek: I did on my first and I still get the horrors thinking about it!!!

No other part of the experience of giving birth made me feel embarrassed apart from when the smell of poo filled the room and the midwife arrived over with paper to clean me up, and not just once! :o:eek::D

I had a huge pasta dinner shortly before going into labour. :o

I remember towards the end, the midwife saying, "Now push down into your bum, just like you were going to poo." I replied, mortified, "but if I do that, I actually WILL poo." She told me to do it anyways.

I don't know if I did, I assume I did, I mean it's a normal part of many labours. No fuss made about it anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I didn't poo but did pee everywhere. Totally and utterly mortified 😂

• Advertisement

It just occurred to me. Pooing happens so often in labour ... what if you were having a water birth? :o Do they scoop the poo out? What if it were a "loose" movement?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It just occurred to me. Pooing happens so often in labour ... what if you were having a water birth? :o Do they scoop the poo out? What if it were a "loose" movement?

Oh god that doesn't bear thinking about! I was convinced I was pooping while I was in labour and nobody believed me, I was nearly in tears going "I AM pooing right now, I can tell, I'm so sorry!" and they kept telling me it was just the baby moving down. Eventually I got so worked up the midwife whipped back the sheet and went "Look, all clean, now just relax! Besides, you're here to take home a baby, not take home the sheets."

Was so delighted I'd managed not to poo then my son pooed everywhere as he was being born, so I ended up covered in it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Whats happened the OP? Did he faint :)

I've been through it twice and my admiration for my wife soared when our second was born ready to start school:)
    Came in at 10lb 10.
    She just used gas !!

We had the midwife and a student doctor from Canada. Couldn't have done it without the student being there.

When The MW took a break a Spanish MW came in who remembered us from 3 years previous. She had been looking after my wife on the ward.
    She brought some hilarity to the situation shouting push is a thick Spanish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dolbert wrote: »
    Just adding for any mothers-to-be reading this that some first time births can be fine too! I was induced at 39 weeks and the labour lasted 5.5 hours from first contraction to finish. I was advised to get an epidural asap due to potential issues with general anaesthetic in case it went to c-section. It was all very intense but manageable with the pain relief and recovery was straightforward. 10/10 would birth again

I second that - first time birth, waters broke naturally by themselves, contractions started, baby arrived 7 hours later. Gas and air did the job for me. (and a TENS machine). All very straightforward. The PP haemorrage was the result of a tiny amount of tissue (size of a 20c coin!!) that hadn't come out, and the procedure to remove it was straightforward.

Overall, the labour was by the far the "easy" bit of the whole process. The midwife said to me afterwards she sat in the corner of the room feeling surplus to requirements :)

Lucuma - strep b was found with me when I had a bleed at 10 weeks, so they knew what was needed. They haven't bothered to test me this time round, but have told me that they'll treat for it anyway during labour. They'll monitor baby for a bit afterwards and treat with antibiotics if there's any sign of anything. Apparently it can come and go, so they can test for it at any stage, but that doesn't mean you get the same result if tested 2 weeks later.

pooch90 - go in with an open mind, and honestly - let your body do it. It knows what it's doing, let it take over and do. It's built for it :) I actually think that's the biggest thing, you almost have to let go of your conscious mind and let your subconscious take over. Basically that's what the gas and air did for me - knocked my mind out completely, but my body was still doing the work. I'm sure I pooed during birth and I know I tore a bit (wouldn't have if they hadn't made me lie down...) and I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but my mind was so out of it that it never noticed, so I wasn't uptight about it - and so off my body went and delivered a baby! My OH said I looked like I was in pain, but inside, I couldn't feel or hear a thing :)
    I know that probably sounds totally ridiculous and hippy-like but I can't think of any other way to describe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

I have absolutely no idea if I pooped or not. I'd warned my partner that it could happen+ not to tell me. Now when I ask he won't say - just that I said not to tell :-( he doesn't want any more children after watching me give birth. Said he was terrified, baby getting in distress, me shaking, vomiting+ going purple- then placenta, stitches, baby up in ICU- he was in a heap! Poor thing, never mind me :-) if I did it again I think I'd leave him outside :-)

For all the new mums- it really isn't that bad+probably looks+ sounds worse than it is. I remember thinking this will not last more than a few hours, then it all gets better. Honestly within hours I'd forgotten the pain+ I still don't remember most of my labour. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's a wonderful experience really. You just feel so strong + proud of what you have done. And of the little person you (just you, not him or any doctor/nurse) have grown inside of you+ brought into the world. It's a serious achievement :-) Women are not thanked enough for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

It is amazing how quickly you forget the pain!

I don't know of I pooped, I am assuming I did but feck it, they are staring up your privates anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

They've a little fishing net type thing to scoop out poop!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I was induced with my first. When the first pain came, I completely emptied my bowels all over myself, the tens machine, the bed, the floor of the public (and full) ward and eventually into a commode in the shower while my poor OH cleaned me off.

Second I had 12 days ago. By the time we got to the hospital I was 8cm and only got into the pool for 10 minutes before pushing started. Pooed in the pool and got out to have wee one! Cant say a public bowel movement bothered me any more than bending over and baring my piles and unkempt ladygarden to a bunch of strangers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

pwurple wrote: »
    Cardboard bowl things are to measure the volume. They want to see at least 500 ml through the bladder before they are happy everything is working.

Do you know is that because they think things wouldn't be working after a vaginal birth or what?

I remember they gave me the cardboard container for my wee, I didn't use it, just peed in the toilet. They were annoyed with me, I guess I felt I'd suffered enough indignity at that stage. Not logical thinking, but anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lucuma wrote: »
    Do you know is that because they think things wouldn't be working after a vaginal birth or what?

Yes, you can get damage in the urethra or bladder.

Also there is a catheter for the epidural, so even with a c-section, they need to check after the catheter comes out that everything is clear.

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes, you can get damage in the urethra or bladder.

Also there is a catheter for the epidural, so even with a c-section, they need to check after the catheter comes out that everything is clear.

Ah ok.
    As nobody bothered to explain to me Why I had to do this, just ordered me to do it - I assumed the weeing into the cardboard hat (as Toots called them ha!) was to make sure everything had woken back up after the epidural catether.

Therefore as I didn't have an epidural I was aggrieved that I still had to wee into the cardboard thingy. I said to 1 midwife 'but I didn't have an epidural'' and she just looked at me blankly.

Re the poo conversation been there & bought the tshirt. I wouldn't have known except my lovely husband took care to tell me about it afterwards! It didn't bother me in the slightest to be honest and won't the next time either. In fairness there's bigger things at stake than whether you poo!

And re the clots....sweet mother of jeebus....they frightened the living daylights out of me. 2 days post partum got the most awful pains round my middle. At the same time felt large objects passing...rushed to the loo. Got the fright of my life when I saw them. I now know those pains were after pains (womb shrinking back down to size) and those objects were clots. Said it to the obstetrican afterwards she said cool as a breeze ''oh yeah they look like chopped up bits of liver and kidney'' I'm thinking why didn't you Tell me to expect that !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I was induced with my first. When the first pain came, I completely emptied my bowels all over myself, the tens machine, the bed, the floor of the public (and full) ward and eventually into a commode in the shower while my poor OH cleaned me off.

Second I had 12 days ago. By the time we got to the hospital I was 8cm and only got into the pool for 10 minutes before pushing started. Pooed in the pool and got out to have wee one! Cant say a public bowel movement bothered me any more than bending over and baring my piles and unkempt ladygarden to a bunch of strangers :P

Congrats on your second, Shashabear! I remember you from the pregnancy threads in 2014, we were pregnant around the same time on your first. Wishing you lots of love and happiness for your two kiddies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Congrats on your second, Shashabear! I remember you from the pregnancy threads in 2014, we were pregnant around the same time on your first. Wishing you lots of love and happiness for your two kiddies :)

That's right! :D
    I'm staying not pregnant for a while now, promise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I remember having to poo a lot when I was labouring at home and I threw up nearly every contraction. I didn't even feel ill, it just seemed like my stomach wanted to empty. I don't recall pooing in the hospital, but I do remember puking into the bin beside the check in desk at the hospital, then standing up to see a dispenser-thing of sick-bags on the shelf right in front of me. It must happen a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I had 4 very different birthing experiences.

Birth 1 - Emergency C Section, general anesthetic.
    My waters had broken the day before my due date and I was sent home to come back to be induced the next day. Arrived at hospital, was brought up to the labour ward and the rest of my waters were broken. I was given an hour or so to go into labour myself and when that didn't happen I was brought up to a delivery suite and hooked up to the oxytocin drip. I managed an hour or two without an epidural. Babies heart rate started to slow down during contractions, so blood was taken from her head and tested to make sure her oxygen levels were ok. This is when they decided on a csection, I was rushed to theatre and there was no time to top up the epidural I had so I was put under general anesthetic. Baby was born and daddy looked after her until I woke up. I spent 5 days in hospital after the birth. Recovery was not too bad, I'd had dissolvable stitches so I didn't need to get them removed.

Birth 2 - Vaginal birth, epidural.
    I started having contractions the day of my due date, they were becoming painful so decided to make my way to hospital. I wasn't in established labour but they wanted to keep me in for observation due to previous c section. I was sent to a pre-natal ward. Laboured slowly through the night until about 4am when I was three centimetres. Asked for the epidural at this point, they gave it to me and broke my waters for me too. Was moved to delivery suite at around 8am. Epidural started to wear off but felt I could cope with just gas and air at this point. Felt like I needed to push but midwife told me that I wasn't fully dilated so couldn't need to push. Told her I definitely needed to push, so she checked and I was 10cms and ready to go. Pushed for a while but they felt baby needed some help so they got out the Kiwi for a ventouse delivery. Baby came just before they attached the ventouse so didn't need it in the end. Had a small tear and needed less than 10 stitches. Baby wasn't feeding well so she was taking to NICU, turns out she had mucous in her stomach and needed to have it taken out. Stayed in for 4 days.

Birth 3 - Vaginal birth, no pain relief.
    Waters broke at around 6am, no contractions until about 1pm and very irregular, decided to head to hospital as had had no antenatal care. Was admitted for observation. Contractions started around 11pm. Managed on my own until around 2.50am and called a nurse for some pain relief. She said she'd check me and was going to get gas and air for me. She arrived back and I promptly vomitted all over the place so I declined the gas and air as it had made me nauseous on my second birth. She checked and I was 3cm, asked to have epidural so was taken to delivery suite. Was just about to have epidural inserted when I felt the urge to push, no epidural given as no time. She was born within the next ten minutes. Everything hunky dory. Stayed one night after birth. No tears or stitches.

Birth 4 - Emergency c section, epidural.
    Went ten days overdue, brought me in to induce me, broke my waters and I was left for around 12 hours to try to labour myself. Not even an ounce of a contraction so hooked up to oxytocin drip, my blood pressure dropped down when this happened. Midwife recommended epidural, I declined. 5 minutes later I was begging for it. Got epidural inserted, they checked blood sample from babies head as his heart rate was a bit slow. Decided to perform c section so was wheeled to theatre and had c section. I had staples this time, bruised like a peach. Baby had small temp so they gave him antibiotics just in case but he was fine. Spent 3 days in hospital after birth. Recovery was slow, felt really sore for weeks after.

I remember they gave me the cardboard container for my wee, I didn't use it, just peed in the toilet. They were annoyed with me, I guess I felt I'd suffered enough indignity at that stage. Not logical thinking, but anyways!

Hmm..I'm inspired by this Diamond Doll. Think I might take a leaf out of your book next time and tell them go stuff their cardboard containers!

What I found difficult was trying to make sure only urine, and not blood or poo got in there. I mean I know they've seen it all before, but I didn't want to make an already gross job for the midwife any more gross than it had to be. But trying to separate streams when everything down there was mangled after vaginal birth was a tad hard to say the least!
    Plus any kind of loo-hovering after an episiotomy & 4 stitches was most unwelcome.
    At least I had my own bathroom, my SIL had baby public in CUMH and she said it was mank having to leave the cardboard bowls of wee on floor when you're sharing that bathroom with another lady! I know you can try cover them with something like.... but it's still mank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Wow, it was lot easier in the rotunda. We were given a plastic measuring jug and just told to note the amount of urine before flushing.

Dolbert wrote: »
    Wow, it was lot easier in the rotunda. We were given a plastic measuring jug and just told to note the amount of urine before flushing.
    you didn't even have to keep it to show the midwife?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Im enjoying this thread so much because I know I'll NEVER have to go throught any of this again :D
    I remember a friend of mine going in on her first. She packed her bags and put a box of tampons in for after the birth. :D:D:D:D:D
    Innocence is wonderful

Advertisement