Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light fixture not working

Options
  • 03-12-2015 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi folks,

The light fixture/chandelier in the sitting room hasn't worked for some time now. I have been relying on lamps in the room instead. The light itself has 5 G4 12V two pin 10 or 20 watt (not sure which wattage nothing on the bulbs) halogen bulbs. I don't know the make or model of the light unfortunately.

I checked the bulbs by removing each one and turning on the switch on the wall - doesn't do anything. I have also removed the switch on the wall to check for any broken or loose wires and all seems good.

Does anyone think the transformer has blown and if it has can I pick up a standard 12v 20W transformer in a shop?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We had a similar one, transformer blown. More expensive to get a transformer than get a new light. Just got a new one without a transformer to replace it.

I assume all the bulbs aren't blown? You can visually check the filament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Did it just give up all of a sudden?

If you have access to a multimeter check you have voltage at the switch and that the switch is working.

More than likely it might be the transformer gone but might be worth checking before you go removing the light fitting looking to replace the transformer.

If your not confident doing that its time to contact your electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Terre

To be honest, it was so long ago I can't even remember myself. Either it blew all of a sudden or I remember messing around with the switch on the wall replacing it with a dimmer switch (this could have been after it stopped working too). I don't have a multimeter to check the switch. I thought transformers would be handy enough to pick up and straight forward enough to replace, the thing is I don't know much about electrical stuff hence I am seeking advice.

I'm fairly certain I replaced the light switch with a dimmer switch and since it was buzzing too loudly, I decided to put back the original one and it hasn't worked since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

A transformer doesn't work (well) on a dimmer - that's where your problem lies AFAIK.

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly the light was working away with a dimmer switch but it was too noisy, reverted back to the original now the light doesn't work. I would have thought the dimmer switch was compatible with the light fitting I have, perhaps I accidentally damaged the transformer. I don't understand how it was working with the dimmer switch then suddenly when I placed it with the original it stopped working.

wait4me wrote: »
    A transformer doesn't work (well) on a dimmer - that's where your problem lies AFAIK.

Dimmable transformers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommo22

I assume it is a single switch, with 2 or 3 wires in the back. I also assume that it is not a 2-way switch, ie this is the only switch that can controls the light.

Remove the switch and use a connector to join all the wires together. If it works you have wired the switch incorrectly or the switch is faulty.Make sure to turn the power off first, turn it back on and see if the light works.

try this and report back, or if it is a 2-way switch or has more than one switch let me know i'll talk u thru it.

Advertisement