Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Gridlock Mayhem Extravaganza December 3rd

Options
  • 03-12-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

So. One lane of the tunnel is closed due to flooding and the entire city clogs up. Seeing reports on Twitter of 6 mile journeys taking 3 hours. And at 850pm it's still gridlocked.

Anyone get caught up in it?

I'm in my mother in law's in Blackrock and can't make the journey across town to get home as I don't know how long it will take and I have a young baby, so I can't risk it.

Imagine too if the tunnel was tolled. It would be like this every day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Roar wrote: »
    So. One lane of the tunnel is closed due to flooding and the entire city clogs up. Seeing reports on Twitter of 6 mile journeys taking 3 hours. And at 850pm it's still gridlocked.

Anyone get caught up in it?

I'm in my mother in law's in Blackrock and can't make the journey across town to get home as I don't know how long it will take and I have a young baby, so I can't risk it.

Imagine too if the tunnel was tolled. It would be like this every day.

Reports of a six car pile up on the South Link westbound, just before the Kinsale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

at 2pm today took me 1 hour to get from sarsfield rd to the tunnel madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It's been bedlam all day! Also turners cross, Kinsale road, cap well road all chock a block with "clever" people avoiding the tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Just back from trying to get through. Not a chance. Waste of time. Avoid avoid avoid at all costs. Why is it flooded? Is it due to rain or a leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

Took me 65 mins to get from Blackrock to Togher via Douglas... Painful

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

Left carrigaline at 5.10,got to little island near 8o clock.
    I'm a sad panda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I can't imagine this being allowed happen on the M50.The geniuses in City hall are some numpties.We'll probably find out tomorrow that they forgot to put in drains.

Took me an hour to get from Bishopstown to ballyphehane, never seen traffic so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

if it was the M50 it would be all over the national news

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Exactly I didn't know about it until about 10 min before I needed to start the drive to where I needed to go. Didn't get a chance to make alternative arrangements. Fcuk it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CVTcxF9WwAAI0A9.jpg:large

This 'flood' had surely receeded by 9pm, when the N40 was backed up still to Kinsale Road?

Any type of tolling on the N40 would have to be barrier free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

if it was the M50 it would be all over the national news

Nah..that would be a normal day on the M50.

OK...slight exaggeration...but only slight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I passed it at about 2pm today, coming out of Mahon, and traffic was crawling.
    The reason?
    1. A small stretch was flooded, and they put up some cones.
    2. Not a garda on site to encourage traffic to keep moving, no workers visibly doing anything to alleviate the flooding....
    3. Drivers unable to move at a reasonable pace. Past the cones I sped up and noticed the car behind me still crawling (opened up a gap of about 50m in a few secs), which meant that it slowed down everyone behind (no doubt a common occurrence).

FFS,they went to the hassle of putting out cones instead of trying to free/clear the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Crazy stuff that a probable blocked drain caused the whole city to come to a standstill. Had to collect my car from a garage on the South Douglas Road and I cut up through Rosebank to Main road, it took from 5.20 to 5.57 to get from Rosebank to St Finbarr's and it looked worse heading outwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Was doing a lot of driving around town today with work and it was mental. Brian boru bridge and clontarf bridge were mental. People then started to block the junctions and it just spiralled out of control and all because there was nobody with a shovel to free up some drains.

Madness. If it is every tolled people will come through the city and traffic will be mental everyday. If only I could do my job on a motorbike

Shur people in Cork only pay car tax for the laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Any crash between the tunnel and Blackrock and the whole place comes to a complete standstill. Definitely massive investment is required to alleviate the insane traffic issues in and around Cork city. It's far worse than the M50 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Left my place in Mahon at 7.20pm and got to Collins Barracks at 9.05pm.
    Crazy traffic not helped by some incredibly stupid people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Took almost an hour to get from Mahon Point to Rochestown - crazy business. I don't understand why City Council did'nt deploy a unit to remove the water. Ridiculous in this day and age. I guess the City planners were at home having their dinner while the rest of us had to cintend with this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Left UCC at 16:30, got to Midleton at 18:15. Diverted in South Link, that was a car park.

Went out to Curraheen at 7, and traffic on the N40 was backed up heading East as far as Wilton roundabout.

Shows how important the tunnel is to Cork now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Took my boyfriend an hour and a half to get from the airport to the city. Luckily I work on the other side of the city...no traffic for me! Heard it was crazy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

Just saw on Facebook that the gardai were checking for Tax & insurance on the South Terrace earlier this evening.

On the night of the worst traffic I've ever experienced in Cork, chaos all over city & parts of county and they set up a checkpoint for dodgy tax, seriously?? :rolleyes::mad::confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Delira wrote: »
    Just saw on Facebook that the gardai were checking for Tax & insurance on the South Terrace earlier this evening.

On the night of the worst traffic I've ever experienced in Cork, chaos all over city & parts of county and they set up a checkpoint for dodgy tax, seriously?? :rolleyes::mad::confused:
    May as well stop people while they're stopped anyway

I've driven to work in the city centre every weekday for the last 10 years and never came across a checkpoint until the last few months. I've been stopped on South Terrace / Georges Quay at least three times in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

If ye paid yer road tax this wouldn't happen. For gawd sake people

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Took me 15mins just to get through the KRR, going up towards frankfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Was on the Black Ash Road attempting to turn right towards the Kinsale Road Roundabout - some poor soul in front of me ended up just stuck in no-mans land, (the minute he turned right, the traffic backed up) straight away, an unmarked garda car (flashing lights etc..) pulled in front of the guy, spoke to him and ushered him to the left. Bonkers!

Checking for Tax and Insurance while the city was in standstill - sums up priorities.

I cannot imagine what it must have been like for people with young babies/creche deadlines/long journeys ahead......regarding their benefit to the City, you do wonder about the council. (I am from another province and our council is equally as woeful!)

corkgsxr wrote: »
    If ye paid yer road tax this wouldn't happen. For gawd sake people

I do pay it. They still stop you just to check. :confused:

• Advertisement

Did anyone decide not to bother going home, park up in the hard shoulder, spend the night and just turn around at the next junction for work tomorrow?

Advertisement