Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Migrating WhatsApp conversations over

• 04-12-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Ok I got a new Android today and I installed WhatsApp on it, but I have since found out you're supposed to back up your chats on Google Plus before you try and migrate them over to your new device from your old one, *then* you install WhatsApp on the new machine. So I jumped the gun a bit. :p

Any way I can undo this? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Do you still have the old device? Did you wipe it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Do you still have the old device? Did you wipe it?

Yes I still have the old device & I didnt wipe it, but now it [the old device] won't let me access WhatsApp as I have it on the new one. First world problems and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just uninstall it from the new device... put your sim back in the old one, reactivate your account, do a backup... remove the sim, pop it in the new device, download the app again, reactivate your account, the backed-up info will automatically populate the new device. Bobs' your uncle Fannys' your aunt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How do you back up to Google plus? Only option is to back up to internal storage which is pointless when switching phones!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Well, on my one its:
    WhatsApp>Settings>Chats and Calls>Chat Backup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

+ maybe you need to have the phone synced to your google account prior to setting up the backup...? not too sure, but it shouldn't be difficult to work out....

I had my phone in the shop last week, so I've switched phones twice over the last week and Whatsapp moved over very simply and without hassle...

When you opened WhatsApp for the first time on your new phone, put in your number and let it do the whole activation procedure, did a message not pop up that it's found some of your messages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

How to move whatsapp conversations off your old phone and onto new phone without need to use Google Plus. I've done this a few times and worked perfect. Its easier if both phones have an SD card slot and you are reusing SD card.

https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/android/20902622

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Scruff wrote: »
    of your old and new phone have SD card slots there is no need to use Google Plus. I've done this a few times and worked perfect.

https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/android/20902622

Yeah but what if you don't have SD card slots?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Yeah but what if you don't have SD card slots?
    read the link. basically connect phone to pc and copy backup folder off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

As johnny storm says above, go to the chat backup option in the chats and calls menu. If WhatsApp has updated to the latest version in the playstore you can backup to google drive.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Thanks guys I'll try those suggestions :P

Advertisement