Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice pubs?

Options
  • 04-12-2015 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

i will be staying in the city for a night and wondered what are the nicest pubs and spots for a good crowd of a friday night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What age group?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

and music tastes?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Walk down Shop Street and stick your head into a few pubs.
    You should visit Neachtains, a Galway tradition. It's on shop street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Try Tig Coili on Mainguard St, Taaffes on Shop St, Neachtains on the corner of Cross and High St, Quays might suit you, Roisin might, Bierhaus and Salt House might.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    Walk down Shop Street and stick your head into a few pubs.
    You should visit Neachtains, a Galway tradition. It's on shop Quay , just past High street.

fyp

• Advertisement

meh, it's all shop street as far as I'm concerned.

biko wrote: »
    meh, it's all shop street as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately that may not translate for others from out of town on a visit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Murty rabbits have the best pints in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ah lads, ye're confusing the visitors now. Neachtains' address is 17 Cross St! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Garveys /thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Start in Fox's on Forster St just off Eyre Sq. music starts at 10pm
    Work your way up town from there, Shop St direction.
    If you'd like somewhere real swanky go to Tribeton on merchants road don't be put off drinks price are reasonable.
    It is slightly off the beaten track but worth imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

D Trent wrote: »
    Start in Fox's on Forster St just off Eyre Sq. music starts at 10pm
    Work your way up town from there, Shop St direction.
    If you'd like somewhere real swanky go to Tribeton on merchants road don't be put off drinks price are reasonable.
    It is slightly off the beaten track but worth imo.

Never ventured into Tribeton. Is it not just a restaurant?

Along the side of the room is a long bar. Place is a mix of booze and food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Never ventured into Tribeton. Is it not just a restaurant?

You're missing out, it's a big bar and restaurant all open space.
    Nowhere else in town that's like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

D Trent wrote: »
    You're missing out, it's a big bar and restaurant all open space.
    Nowhere else in town that's like it.

Reminds me of Sophie's Bar in Dublin. Doesn't really have a Galway feel to it.
    Nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Larianne wrote: »
    Reminds me of Sophie's Bar in Dublin. Doesn't really have a Galway feel to it.
    Nice though.

Grand if your planning on food but for just swinging in for a pint or a coffee I'd avoid. When we went in we said we just wanted coffee and were asked to sit at the top of the stairs. I'd have no interest to return because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Down the West end of town - Salt House, Monroes, Roisin Dubh, Massimos. Less poseur-ish and more down to earth type crowds generally...

On Eyre Square side, I believe An Púcan is great craic these days, although haven't been myself in a long time. And of course, O'Connells on Eyre Square is a great spot for a pint and a bit of banter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Yintang wrote: »
    Down the West end of town - Salt House, Monroes, Roisin Dubh, Massimos. Less poseur-ish and more down to earth type crowds generally...

Or one might say down the west has a crowd that is very pretentious with a air of self importance who look down their noses at people
    Generally

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Can't say I've ever felt that... A lot of locals drink down that end of town too, in De Brun, Galway Arms etc. But I can see where you're coming from - some of the other pubs can have a more "hipster" ( for want of a better word) element, but I've genuinely never felt that people look down on others there.

Anyway don't want to divert from the OPs original question.

Yintang wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever felt that... A lot of locals drink down that end of town too, in De Brun, Galway Arms etc. But I can see where you're coming from - some of the other pubs can have a more "hipster" ( for want of a better word) element, but I've genuinely never felt that people look down on others there.

Anyway don't want to divert from the OPs original question.

Agree with you there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Or one might say down the west has a crowd that is very pretentious with a air of self importance who look down their noses at people
    Generally

I've never had that feeling while down there. In fact I was in Salt House, Beirhaus and the roisin earlier this week on a work night out and found all three great craic. Love sitting beside the fire in the salt house pint a pint of stout and chatting to the lads behind the bar!

I've never had that feeling while down there. In fact I was in Salt House, Beirhaus and the roisin earlier this week on a work night out and found all three great craic. Love sitting beside the fire in the salt house pint a pint of stout and chatting to the lads behind the bar!

Yep Sjef and the lads are all dead on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Yep Sjef and the lads are all dead on.

Top men, and Scottish Steve with an accent that could make a straight man sploosh. Best little bar in Ireland for my money so it is.

Murty rabbits have the best pints in the city

Murtys has a nice pint but I reckon Garavans have the best Guinness in the city.

I'd stick around shop street, cross street and quay street along with places like oconnells on eyre square and the new pucan which is a nice spot. I don't like the "west" at all really prefer the places and the crowds in the above area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Salt House can confuse me with the amount of choice of brews *shakes fist at IPA's* but it's a lovely spot on a cold night.

Salt House can confuse me with the amount of choice of brews *shakes fist at IPA's* but it's a lovely spot on a cold night.

The barmen are very helpful and more than willing to offer guidance in there, I often ask for something similar to something else or a particular beer style,if it's on tap they'll give you a taster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yeah, Salt House is a great little spot, nicest staff out and amazing selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Murtys has a nice pint but I reckon Garavans have the best Guinness in the city.

I'd stick around shop street, cross street and quay street along with places like oconnells on eyre square and the new pucan which is a nice spot. I don't like the "west" at all really prefer the places and the crowds in the above area.

Are you turning in to a city boy Nox!Q :eek: Next you'll have a man bun and a fixie!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think I have outgrown Galway's pub scene. Or rather, I've gotten older but can't relate to Halo and Buskers :pac:

I'm not a fan of the likes of Garavans and Taffes.

Places that showed some promise when they opened like An Pucan, The Cellar (when it re-opened) and The Dail, have started to draw in the same crappy crowd as other places.

It probably just is myself out-growing it, though.

McSwiggans have lovely Guinness but no real buzz to the place. The Crane upstairs for the live trad is still enjoyable. I suppose if you get a nice group of friends, you can make the most out of anywhere...probably just best to go out early and go home early, before the w*nkers show up.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Are you turning in to a city boy Nox!Q :eek: Next you'll have a man bun and a fixie!

Never liked the pubs in Dominic street etc area, more of a hippie/alternative crowd and not really my type of music played down there. From day one going out in Galway always preferred the pubs from oconnells in eyre square to the end of quay street and cps and later halo for clubs. Much more my scene than Dominic street area.

Advertisement