Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice pubs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Never liked the pubs in Dominic street etc area, more of a hippie/alternative crowd and not really my type of music played down there. From day one going out in Galway always preferred the pubs from oconnells in eyre square to the end of quay street and cps and later halo for clubs. Much more my scene than Dominic street area.

I don't think the pubs in that area are hippyish. Most don't even play the same type of music...I haven't been in The Bier Haus since college, so maybe that place has changed and it's turned into a crusty spot. It wasn't a back then.

Massimo's, The Crane and Monroes are not hippyish. Either is The Salt House.

The Roisin and The Blue Note are the only spots I can think of that I could call hippyish. But at that the music in the Roisin isn't the same every night. They could have a Rory Gallagher tribute band one night and Damien Dempsey the next night. But you might mean when it's quiet and no gig on. It might play whatever the bar staff are into and they seem to be a bit on the hippy side.

The bar staff in Massimo's tend to play what they want. You should probably go back down there with an open mind. Two pubs, don't make an entire area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I don't think the pubs in that area are hippyish. Most don't even play the same type of music...I haven't been in The Bier Haus since college, so maybe that place has changed and it's turned into a crusty spot. It wasn't a back then.

Massimo's, The Crane and Monroes are not hippyish. Either is The Salt House.

The Roisin and The Blue Note are the only spots I can think of that I could call hippyish. But at that the music in the Roisin isn't the same every night. They could have a Rory Gallagher tribute band one night and Damien Dempsey the next night. But you might mean when it's quiet and no gig on. It might play whatever the bar staff are into and they seem to be a bit on the hippy side.

The bar staff in Massimo's tend to play what they want. You should probably go back down there with an open mind. Two pubs, don't make an entire area.
    I get the impression nox idea of hippyish is people who arent wearing white shirts under Hilfiger/Polo jumpers with a nice chino and pair of doobs. ;)

I get the impression nox idea of hippyish is people who arent wearing white shirts under Hilfiger/Polo jumpers with a nice chino and pair of doobs. ;)

HaHa, I actually bought a pair of Doobs when I moved into the city. My friend puked on them and they quickly lost their shine. Uncomfortable f'kin yokes!

Galway is a funny old place. I can remember getting to that age when you're expected to go to Halo over CP's. "Watch out for the bunny boilers!"...that type of girl that you'd get the shift off of in Halo and wouldn't go home with you but would want to meet up the next morning for coffee.

In the mid to late 20's people would graduate from The Front Door to Busker Brownes.

I suppose the advent of Tinder and all of that has probably changed the dynamic of the courting and prowling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Big Ian

Never liked the pubs in Dominic street etc area, more of a hippie/alternative crowd and not really my type of music played down there. From day one going out in Galway always preferred the pubs from oconnells in eyre square to the end of quay street and cps and later halo for clubs. Much more my scene than Dominic street area.

I hear ya. Too many posers down that part of town. I'd rather hang out in the old man pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm sure they really miss your presence in Dominick Street ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Big Ian wrote: »
    I hear ya. Too many posers down that part of town. I'd rather hang out in the old man pubs.

Like the Old Forge? Or is that in the wrong place for ya.

Like the Old Forge? Or is that in the wrong place for ya.

Never been. If it's not full of metros in skinny jeans and man buns it can't be too bad.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    HaHa, I actually bought a pair of Doobs when I moved into the city. My friend puked on them and they quickly lost their shine. Uncomfortable f'kin yokes!

There up there with the most comfortable shoes I've ever had, wear them more or less everyday and replace like with like when they get worn out.

Big Ian wrote: »

Posers and hippies, what an odd mix.

There up there with the most comfortable shoes I've ever had, wear them more or less everyday and replace like with like when they get worn out.

Brilliant.

• Advertisement

You should shop around! Though, I gave up on shoes years ago. Expensive with less comfort. Memory foam all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A correction on the Tigh Fox bar in Eyre Square, sessions also at 5.30 pm as well as 10 pm.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Too bad the cool kids don't like them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The stank of high horses in this thread is unbearable.

aydAWRa.jpg

People will drink wherever people will drink. Their choice doesn't necessarily make them crusties, hippies, poseurs, metros, árse goblins, or whatever other rhetoric is being used here.

By all means, let's share opinions, but lets not getting nasty about it.

For what it's worth though, Massimo's and the Blue Note have one of the most varied crowds I've ever seen in Galway.

The stank of high horses in this thread is unbearable.

aydAWRa.jpg

People will drink wherever people will drink. Their choice doesn't necessarily make them crusties, hippies, poseurs, metros, árse goblins, or whatever other rhetoric is being used here.

By all means, let's share opinions, but lets not getting nasty about it.

For what it's worth though, Massimo's and the Blue Note have one of the most varied crowds I've ever seen in Galway.

Massimo's does for sure anyways! I like The Blue Note, cool to go in when it's quiet for a few pints and a game of Jenga!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Árse goblins?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Árse goblins?

Indeed. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Arsegoblins

I think the choice of music being played in an establishment is always going to affect what crowd goes there, and that's subject to change on any given night.

For example, the crowd in Buskers on Monday night for the Black Magic Jazz band is going to be intrinscially different to that of Thursday's live band playing chart, and other genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MDwyer

thanks everyone it was cancelled in the end but will be going there soon again so will be able to take all suggestion on board thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you do ask again, answer the two first posts in the thread.
    Otherwise people will recommend pubs they themselves like which may not be to your taste, and both your time and theirs will be wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

The Moon Under Water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Under_Water

A radio -news & sports only- is allowable nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Mearings wrote: »
    The Moon Under Water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Under_Water

A radio -news & sports only- is allowable nowadays.

What?

Is there a weatherspoons in Galway now?

Links234 wrote: »
    What?

Is there a weatherspoons in Galway now?

What also? And no.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When threads take a weird turn...

Advertisement