Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telltale Games Batman

Options
  • 04-12-2015 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Just announced & teased at the video game awards :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Telltale Games, with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment, today announced an interactive episodic game series based on DC Comics’ iconic Batman™ that is set to premiere in 2016. The official title for the Telltale series is yet to be revealed.

The episodic game series will premiere digitally on home consoles, PC/Mac, and mobile devices. Specific platform details are yet to be announced.

“At Telltale, we’ve been honored to bring our unique approach to interactive storytelling to some of the biggest entertainment franchises in the world, and we’re excited to announce that we’ll soon be exploring what it means to be Batman in an all-new series starting next year,” said Kevin Bruner, Co-Founder and CEO of Telltale Games. “This iteration of Batman will give fans a first-hand opportunity to dive deeper into the complex life and mind of Bruce Wayne, the duality of his own identity, and the struggle of responsibility in saving a city overcome with corruption and villainy.”

“Telltale has an established track record of creating award-winning content for some of the best properties in the world,” said David Haddad, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “We look forward to working with the team as they deliver a new interactive way for fans and gamers to experience the rich narrative world of Batman.”

Revealed on-stage at The Game Awards 2015 in Los Angeles, the full announcement teaser trailer will be available for online viewing later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does anyone really want another Telltale game, regardless of the licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This could be fantastic :D

Does anyone really want another Assassin's Creed? Or Call of Duty? Or Total War? Telltale certainly have a formula, but they do what they do well, and I keep hearing great things about their games. They have their niche well carved out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Links234 wrote: »
    Does anyone really want another Assassin's Creed? Or Call of Duty? Or Total War? Telltale certainly have a formula, but they do what they do well, and I keep hearing great things about their games. They have their niche well carved out.

Lately......they really don't.

It's funny if I could pick some studios I wouldn't want to have a license like this, Telltale would be near the top.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

While I've only played bits and pieces of their other games TWD 1 and 2 were among the best games I've ever played, so abso-****ing-lutely I want them to take on another IP that I love.

Corholio wrote: »

It's funny if I could pick some studios I wouldn't want to have a license like this, Telltale would be near the top.

Haven't they? I'm very out of the loop because I haven't played anything since Walking Dead, but I've heard a lot of praise for their Borderlands and GoT games. I'm really looking forward to the Borderlands one once I get around to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I thoroughly enjoyed TWD1 & 2, GoT & Wolf Among Us. Have Borderland on my HDD but still haven't played it. Would definitely pick up Batman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This is your expert opinion on what grounds ?

Please enlighten us all as to which Telltale games you've played and why they aren't doing their thing well anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

SeantheMan wrote: »
    This is your expert opinion on what grounds ?

Please enlighten us all as to which Telltale games you've played and why they aren't doing their thing well anymore.

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm sure it'll be a decent game for what a decent game is, but with Telltale they have a formula that they use that was once rich but in my opinion not anymore. A lot of people like them and that's fair enough but I feel as if they could be pushing what they do a lot more. Game of Thrones is a very good game, and bringing that formula over to Batman I'm sure will result in a good game, but this series needed a different direction than a model like this in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

As much as i like them i agree the last couple of telltale games ive played havent been great. Walking Dead season 2 was a bit of a step down from the first season. GoT was a big disappointment too. They seem to be really stretching themselves too thin with all the different series theyre working on concurrently.

GoT took just under a year for all episodes to get released. There was a 3 month gap between episode 5 and 6 of GoT. As much as i like Batman and am intrigued by this prospect theres just no chance ill even consider buying it now till its completely released.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I thoroughly enjoyed TWD1 & 2, GoT & Wolf Among Us. Have Borderland on my HDD but still haven't played it. Would definitely pick up Batman :)

Tales from the Borderlands is brilliant tbh especially if you avoid spoilers. Game of Thrones was a flat disappointment tbh. Wolf Among Us needs a second season more than GoT does.
    Love Batman so I'm all over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,892 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bringing that formula over to Batman I'm sure will result in a good game, but this series needed a different direction than a model like this in my opinion.

I really don't understand what you mean.

Firstly, you don't know exactly what they will be doing with the Batman IP. It will likely be the same formula, in general, as their other games but maybe they will push the concept on a bit further, maybe things will be new/improved.

Secondly, I don't get what you mean by the series needed a different model. Are you saying Batman needs a different model than a telltale games formula (Like, I dunno, and open world beat-em-up/adventure... like Arkham?) or that Telltale need a different IP to Batman - which seems like an odd position to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think you misunderstood my point. I'm sure it'll be a decent game for what a decent game is, but with Telltale they have a formula that they use that was once rich but in my opinion not anymore. A lot of people like them and that's fair enough but I feel as if they could be pushing what they do a lot more. Game of Thrones is a very good game, and bringing that formula over to Batman I'm sure will result in a good game, but this series needed a different direction than a model like this in my opinion.

Just because Telltale are doing a Batman game doesn't mean another studio won't be doing a proper action-type Batman game, same way Telltale have done The Walking Dead while other studios did other Walking Dead games, plus Borderlands & Minecraft being games from other studios too.

Telltale make a very specific type of game. The Batman license won't be tied exclusively to them. Besides which, we've had 4 action Batman games in about 6 years (not including the smaller handheld spin-offs of that same series). I'd be more than glad to play a different type of Batman game.

That being said, where's The Wolf Among Us 2?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

On one hand, I love Batman and even though I'm suffering from serious Telltale fatigue, I'm excited for this.

On the other hand, I love Game Of Thrones and Telltale made a balls of that so I should be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

There's nothing they won't keep their paws off these days, is there?

Well, at least Batman actually has proper story potential... unlike fecking Borderlands and Minecraft. That said, I'd rather not see batman animated worse than the original cartoons and have to solve a crime mystery by pressing X.

Links234 wrote: »
    At least those games actually improve or have different features with new releases. The Telltale games haven't changed at all. I loved the first Walking Dead, but once you see that none of your decisions matter at all and that it was just an illusion of choice, the game loses all weight. You are barely playing a game at all. GoT was like an extremely poor episode of the show.

I don't think they do what they do well anymore. It seems like a cash cow. They pick an IP, throw together an average game using their cookie cutter formula and the fanboys of said IP will have to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Can't see the trailer here at work, but please be a new Engine for this...

I'm stick of the current stuttery one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

How great would it be if this was in the visual style of The Animated Series and had Kevin Conroy as Batman?

• Advertisement

pasta-solo wrote: »
    How great would it be if this was in the visual style of The Animated Series and had Kevin Conroy as Batman?

Oh that would be perfection! (with a new engine)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

They badly need to rework their engine. Played the finale of Game of Thrones recently on PS4 and it was a glitchy stuttery mess. Takes away from the otherwise great experience

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbh, even though I still buy the games (albeit once they go on sale), they have had a good bit of disappointing games. TWD 2 and GoT in particular were very poor. Tales of the Borderlands is good (albeit haven't finished it yet), as was TWD Season 1 and Wolf Among Us. They're stretching themselves too thin aswell and is a long wait between episodes

Telltale fatigue is the phrase I'd use for myself too.

Game of thrones was terrible , fatigue or not. Nowhere was the illusion of choice more exposed in their games either. I've heard Mincecraft is pretty poor also.

The Batman IP could be great in their hands. How thin are they spreading themselves now though ? A new 3 episode walking dead arc was also announced last night. The gaps between releases is also a major issue for me with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'd say it would be based more on the detective side of Batman like in TWAU

TheZPPanda wrote: »
    They badly need to rework their engine. Played the finale of Game of Thrones recently on PS4 and it was a glitchy stuttery mess. Takes away from the otherwise great experience

GoT finale was bad, stuttery wise, but it was a poor series also.

Borderlands was better, it was quite fun and had a good story but performance wise I thought it was unacceptable how stuttery it was, especially in the last episode. I had still images on my screen and sound playing and then watching the visuals catch up for most of the episode.

After Borderlands, I said thats it, not getting another TellTale game until they have a new engine and now they have to announce Batman. :pac: so I hope its a new engine, I don't want to end up being a hypocrite and buying it on Day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

There's nothing they won't keep their paws off these days, is there?

Well, at least Batman actually has proper story potential... unlike fecking Borderlands and Minecraft. That said, I'd rather not see batman animated worse than the original cartoons and have to solve a crime mystery by pressing X.

Spoken like someone who is truly in the minority, Tales from the Borderlands had one of the best stories of all the Telltale games and was overall one of their best entries by a country mile.

Did you even play it?
    At least those games actually improve or have different features with new releases.

But not really, I mean, come on now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

That would be incredible

Really looking forward to this. A bit worn out of Telltale games, aside from TFTB which was incredible, but I have high hopes for this!

Please for the love of god get a new engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Cormac... wrote: »
    Spoken like someone who is truly in the minority

Yeah I'm used to that. There's two kinds of gamers. Those who give a hoot about the Borderland's story and those that don't. Borderland's story is based around its ability to help in telling a bunch of jokes and memes... which in its self does not mean its not entertaining... Wayne's World of example is the exact same thing... except I'd watch it any day of the week but you'd probably need to pay me to play a borderlands story-only game.

Need to go all the way back. Have it 2D. Type your responses and choices :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Yeah I'm used to that. There's two kinds of gamers. Those who give a hoot about the Borderland's story and those that don't. Borderland's story is based around its ability to help in telling a bunch of jokes and memes

While it was hardly a work of Shakespeare, it's story (or at least the vehicle for it's characters to make said comments) was Executed far better than a lot of the Other Telltale games.

Advertisement